Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

The Coffee Thread

DoctorShop

Bluelighter
I told myself a few years ago I would never drink instant coffee. At home I would make plunger coffee or use a perculator. Never instant. Ever

Times have changed and these days, most of the time I am drinking Nescafe 43, the coffee I loathe the most :p So this week when I get paid I'm going to try and buy a cheap perculator and some decent coffee.

What I'm trying to ask is: What is your favourite type of coffee? I used to always buy a long macchiato with an extra shot. These days I usually get a Latte. I usually skip the extra shot these days, depending on how I'm feeling that morning :)

On another note, I find myself drinking Coke the rest of the day, just because its easier to walk to the vending machine in the office, then to go down the street to get a mediocre coffee. Considering that I sit on my backside all day I'm worried I may become... a fattie :eek:

So two questions really: what is your favourite warm and cold caffeinated beverage? And anything else related that you'd like to discuss.

I campaigned to get a coffee machine at work cos I refused to drink that "Murray Mud" Nescafe Blend 43. Blech!!
I used to buy Moccona Classic but then my boss was generous enough to fork out a couple of hundred for one of those retro Breville coffee machines. No fancy automatic one but at least I can make real coffee now.

We order some free trade arabica for the office and I love drinking Illy at home. My fave cafe uses Genovese which I haven't seen in Coles. Anyone know where I can buy it? For a cheapie I use Melita German Roast and I'm really keen to try some of the blends on www.coffeehit.com.au sometime.

As for what I order - I usually get a latte. Depending on how good the coffee is I put either 1, 2 or no sugars in it. My fave cafes in Melbourne are Caffe E Torta in Bank Arcade, Chimmy's on Bridge Rd and I don't mind the coffees at Baguette at Flinders St station. I hate burnt coffee and I hate it too hot....and consistency is the MOST important!

The only instant coffee i can stomach is Moccona, but i always buy a latte at work, half-shot skinny... i can't stomach full-cream milk (well, as much as an espresso uses), and too much caffeine makes me jittery.

I have a stove-top percolator that was my mums and my nonna's before that. The seals have all but gone on it, unfortunately, but it has too much sentimental value to throw away, it's made countless coffees for myself and my family.

^you mean like a bialetti - a stove top espresso pot? You can buy seals from any italian supermarket for a few bucks.

I've recently decommissioned my espresso pot - now use a cheap espresso machine at home for caffe latte action. Ya just can't beat steamed milk!

I genrally buy a blend from a local coffee shop to make at home - but if I am caught short I will buy Lavazza. Luckily I am not so poverty stricken these days - but the best super cheap commercial brand is Medaglio D'Oro - the espresso blend is quite OK (but not really ground fine enough for espresso machines). Illy coffee is fucking yummy of course - I used to get an Illy latte from Elizabeth St near Flinders St when I worked in the city - think it's still open.

As for cold caffeinated beverages - don't touch 'em. I will be downing a few energy drinks when I drive up to Sydney next week - but that's about it.. Unless you count the coke in a woody...

That's the one, and it's a Bialetti too! It's at least 40 years old.

I'm tossing up whether to get new seals for it, or just keep it as a memento and buy a new one... i do, however, like the idea of keeping it running for a while longer - generations of coffee have been made in it. :)

One of my favourite espresso bars in Brisbane is Bar Merlo, in Queen Street - and there is the Merlo warehouse in Fortitude Valley, on James Street - a huge range of coffee and espresso products and they roast their own beans on the premises. There's also a fantastic coffee bean warehouse in Bowen Hills - Di Bella coffee- my uncle is a coffee aficionado and has a huge espresso machine in his kitchen, that's plumbed into the main water supply - he's a die-hard coffee lover, and will only buy his beans from there.

160px-L'Omino_Bialett_2006-07-15_.png

L'Omino!

Last edited:
Long Black no sugar, one macchiato

I dont really think there is anything further I wish to discuss on this topic

Hey now, i found out that i can get new seals for my stove-top coffee pot, so something good has come out of it! Having said that, i'm not a massive coffee aficionado either, so i don't have a lot to talk about, regarding coffee (excpet when discussing seals)

I have been fortunate enough to have been introduced to real coffee way before it became even slightly popular.

Club Marconi served me my first real coffee and to this day they do it better than anyone. And I have drunk coffee all over the world..........well not Italy yet, but Club Marconi smacks them all for six.

I will take it anyway its coming from short black (also known as a Sammy Davis Junior) to long black (a Magic Johnson) to cappucinos, flat whites.

If you are ever in the neighbourhood, it would be my pleasure to shout you a coffee at the famous Club Marconi.

dark hot liquid > drink > jitterbug > repeat

end of subject =D

MazDan said:
I have been fortunate enough to have been introduced to real coffee way before it became even slightly popular.

Club Marconi served me my first real coffee and to this day they do it better than anyone. And I have drunk coffee all over the world..........well not Italy yet, but Club Marconi smacks them all for six.

I will take it anyway its coming from short black (also known as a Sammy Davis Junior) to long black (a Magic Johnson) to cappucinos, flat whites.

If you are ever in the neighbourhood, it would be my pleasure to shout you a coffee at the famous Club Marconi.

Next time you there let them know that Sydney Olympic is the best, you'll get a good coffee then

Seriously though, next time im there... Is it still out Fairfield way?

My brother moved to Fairfield and I shunned him, Visited him once in like 6 years

samadhi said:
^ Awww, you like Wham!

Show me someone who doesn't and I'll show you someone living in denial

sweet, sweet pop tunes FTW =D

Wake me up, before you go-go
Don't leave me hanging on - like a solo.

;)

As for coffee:

I love java, sweet and hot
Whoops mr. moto, Im a coffee pot
Shoot the pot and Ill pour me a shot
A cup, a cup, a cup, a cup, a cup

Oh slip me a slug from the wonderful mug
And Ill cut a rug just snug in a jug
A sliced up onion and a raw one
Draw one -
Waiter, waiter, percolator

God bless Manhattan Transfer. :D

Morning has broken
MR. Coffee has spoken
The familiar wake-up call
sings to my ears
I wake up with a shrug
To the floor with a thud
Where in this hellhole is my coffee mug?
I can now face the day
on legal speed (The American way)
I'm sketching
I'm seizing
I'm spazing
I'm shaking
I can not stop spilling on my brand new shirt
I-I-I'm wired
I'm so inspired
I drank the entire pot
so off to work
Here I come to save the day
on legal speed (The American way)
Drinking coffee
I drink coffee
Drinking coffee everyday

While I appreciate good coffee I don't understand caffeine elitists. When it comes down to it, I need to drink an extra large coffee in the morning before I even attempt to be productive at work and if that has to be instant then so be it.

My favourite caffeinated cold drink is V. In fact, if I had to drink one drink for the rest of my life I would choose V.

^I'm with you, UAN - i love a good coffee, but if ALL that's around is International Roast or Douwe Egberts, then brew that shit up.

Tea is awesome.

Especially twinings english breakfast.

Not so fond of coffee.

ayjay said:
^you mean like a bialetti - a stove top espresso pot? You can buy seals from any italian supermarket for a few bucks.

I've recently decommissioned my espresso pot - now use a cheap espresso machine at home for caffe latte action. Ya just can't beat steamed milk!

I genrally buy a blend from a local coffee shop to make at home - but if I am caught short I will buy Lavazza. Luckily I am not so poverty stricken these days - but the best super cheap commercial brand is Medaglio D'Oro - the espresso blend is quite OK (but not really ground fine enough for espresso machines). Illy coffee is fucking yummy of course - I used to get an Illy latte from Elizabeth St near Flinders St when I worked in the city - think it's still open.

As for cold caffeinated beverages - don't touch 'em. I will be downing a few energy drinks when I drive up to Sydney next week - but that's about it.. Unless you count the coke in a woody...

Is Lavazza okay? I'm generally not fond of over roasted beans - too bitter....and I've been eyeing off the Lavazza...maybe I'll give that a go next if I dont find any Genovese.

I've got a little Bialetti too - its gorgeous but it only makes enough for two short blacks - if that. I got used to drinking machiattos in Europe but have been too scared to order one in Aus yet.

Hmm - I'm no coffee elitist - I just don't like shit coffee!! ;)

Anyone got stories of their WORST coffee experience??

I rarely am one to not finish something I've paid for even if its pretty horrid..but there has been one time I simply could not drink my latte. My boyfriend and I went to get some food at that cafe in Melb Central near where Kikki K is and Max Brenner...its called Me Too or something....we both ordered the chicken and corn soup and I got a coffee too. The soup was fucking delicous!! Insanely good and only $7. The coffee however was undrinkable. Let me count thy ways:
1. Scalding hot
2. Almost all water
3. Almost no coffee
4. Bitter
5. Burnt
6. Pathetic skim of "froth" on top.

If the soup hadn't've made up for it I woulda complained. But I'm a pussy and didn't. Ha!!