• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Herald Sun - 11/12/07 'Anger at drug taking, arrests and overdoses at rave'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
Anger at drug taking, arrests and overdoses at rave
Grant McArthur
December 11, 2007 12:00am

A 5000-STRONG rave party at Kryal Castle turned into a war zone at the weekend when 14 people overdosed on drugs.

Doctors at Ballarat Base Hospital could barely cope with three party-goers needing full life support.

Another three could not be connected to breathing machines because the hospital simply did not have enough, leaving medicos to carry out exhaustive hands-on care.

Emergency department staff were threatened and assaulted as they treated eight other ravers who overdosed on ice, amphetamines and GHB.

More than 70 police and sniffer dogs attended Saturday night's Ultraworld Festival, organised by Hardware Corp and Killrockstar Entertainment.

More than 80 party-goers were dealt with by police, mostly for drug offences.

But Dr Nigel Beck, who was hired by organisers as a private medical officer, said the police presence did little to stop rampant drug taking.

"By the end people were getting carried in by their clothes, unconscious, chocking on their own vomit and we almost had one death out there," he said.

It was the second time this year that Kryal Castle caused a major headache for emergency services.

A dozen people were treated for drug overdoses during an event staged by the same organisers in February.

Ballarat Base Hospital head of emergency Dr Jaycen Cruickshank yesterday renewed calls for dance parties to be outlawed at the tourist park.

"Sooner or later someone will die from the drug taking out there," Dr Cruickshank said. "Secondly, my fear is that staff will get injured trying to deal with these violent patients."

Acting Inspector Michael Glenane said that police did not see rampant drug abuse but were worried by high detection rates.

Three people will be charged on summons for drug trafficking, while another 13 will be charged on summons with offences including possession and use of drugs, handling stolen goods and driving-related offences.

Another 36 will be directed into drug diversion programs, seven were issued with cannabis cautions, and nine were caught drug driving.

Event promoter Richie McNell refused to comment yesterday, saying he wanted to view reports from medical staff and ambulance officers.

But Kryal Castle joint owner Joyce Ryall defended the dance parties, held since 1996.

She said the number of overdoses was a small percentage of the crowd. "We had worse when there was jousting going on (in the 1970s). Back then people nearly lost their heads," she said.

"They hire the venue at Kryal Castle because it has a magical atmosphere and you can control the crowd because of the bluestone complete walls.

"They are not going to stop taking drugs, so where else are they going to go?"

Counselling and first-aid group Rave Safe said it was ordered not to attend by promoter Hardware Corporation.

Herald Sun

Night of bad vibes
Annalise Walliker, youth affairs reporter
December 11, 2007 06:57am

PARTY-GOERS from last weekend's Ultraworld Festival at Kryal Castle described the rave party as terrifying and vowed never to return.

Ravers blamed the high price of alcohol and people taking the drug GHB, also known as G or liquid fantasy, for the high number of overdoses on Saturday night.

More than 20 Victorians who attended the weekend dance party slammed the event on dance music website inthemix.com.au, after watching paramedics treat dozens of drug takers.

"This was a disgrace," said 19-year-old Sam from Drysdale, also known as DJ Practice.

"Never have I felt so unsafe and scared in my life due to the horrid crowd.

"Just didn't feel safe with all the angry drug-affected people charging past me when I was trying to dance."

Lisa Knight, 45, from Alphington, said she was upset by the event.

"I was extremely disappointed to see people being carried virtually unconscious to ambulances," Ms Knight said.

"I saw four in a relatively short space of time and it really did my head in.

"Having to watch idiots being tackled to the ground by security guards was quite upsetting."

Shepparton's djrabbi and his wife left at 1am, shocked by how many people had collapsed.

"Shame on this event. For the five hours we were there . . . we saw seven blowouts (overdoses)," djrabbi said.

"Two girls got taken to hospital. Both got put on a drip. Who knows how many more. Never again!"

Forum user aydo said he wouldn't be going back to Kryal Castle.

"One of these years I can see something seriously bad happening there so (this year) will def be my last!"

Some said that the exorbitant price of alcohol had deterred party-goers from having a legally good time.

Ralph Wiggum reported slabs of Smirnoff spirit-based drinks were selling for $240, and cans of spirits for $10.

Strobe lights and lasers also caused dancers to suffer epileptic fits.

"Early in the night I received a fright by feeling a massive thud next to where I was dancing, and looked to see a young lady collapsed on the ground, although it seemed to be just an epileptic fit," annandin said.

Lloyd B said the rave party was frightening.

"I saw a trio of young guys absolutely drenched in their own sweat, twitching and talking s--- to anybody and everybody," he said.

"It was actually a bit frightening to be around, seeing as one of them was six foot-something and constantly making erratic movements."

Herald Sun

hoptis said:
Ralph Wiggum reported slabs of Smirnoff spirit-based drinks were selling for $240, and cans of spirits for $10.
LOL!

I am so, so, so glad i don't waste time or money on these events anymore.
Ewww!

The event was a war zone alright.. I'll give that to the Herald Sun "journalists". It felt like cops were everywhere, medics were everywhere and that, not the juicy people, sucked the vibe out of the event.

Sure it sucks to see so many people constantly ODing on G - I mean common, I was on it but never got even close to feeling woozy. The girl who had the epileptic fit was with freinds of mine and had nothing to do with the lazers!

I saw girls throwing up because their pills were making them sick, but no, of course they're not ODing on G so who cares, the rave community has some serious issues. One guy even came sat next to me, rambled on about how some juice heads were oding and how they deserved it being juice heads and then went on to tell me that he needs some more shards!! GRRRRR!!

People generally seemed happy though, I didn't see one fight or an instance of cops wrestling someone to the ground (what bullshit is that anyway!).

And another thing, 14 out of 5000 od's and 80 detections out of 5000 is a weak number when it was quite obvious that everyone was wasted.

edit: though I must say that the emergency staff (medics) did an excellent job, I really felt safe to see medics walking around everywhere just to make sure no one was blowing out in the corner.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good rave. Sensationalist bullshit article as per usual - the opening line, stating how 14 out of 5000 people overdosed, is proof enough that the event was well and truly safe. I bet there were pubs with not even 100 people inside, and more than 14 would have overdosed on alcohol.

The worst part is that they try and suggest that because alcohol wasn't cheaply available, there were more overdoses are a result. Yeah right! Imagine if booze had been cheap, the amount of people needing attention would have ten folded atleast.

I'll say, sounds great. What a bunch of wingers. The people who run the place seem to be on the right wave length. And Ritchie Rich has provided so many good events over so many yrs. Its hardly his fault that some people are into G too much. With all the cops/sniffer dogs and medics and even drug bus you would think he and they have done their job. People will take drugs where ever they are, at least there they can be monitored.

I hope they dont stop the parties there, this sure sounds like a big media hype up.

I arrived at 12, so I didn't get to see any of the cops or dogs inside the castle, only outside did I see the cops. And driving up I saw the police drug buses packing up at around 11:45pm but didn't see any drug buses on the way back. That's so weird it's like the perfect time to catch people drug driving. They cops half arsed there operation.

I saw 2 bad things in the first 5 minutes, after that I kept to the main arena and interview room and didn't see anything bad for the rest of the night.

I didn't enjoy it that much, I've got the feeling If I had arrived at the beginning of the event and left at about 12 that I would of loved it. Seem's all the good reviews of sets were for the DJ's I missed.

Didn't feel much of the rave vibe whilst there.

How much did it suck on the main arena at about 4:30am to 5:00am, it was painful. I left at 5 so I was pissed that I didnt get to see PVD for the 30 minutes I had planed (I was so tired!, sober). But I sorta don't care now because people said he was average.

They can't detect G.. HAHAHAHA..

no matter what test they use, it simply cannot be confirmed because the shit will be present naturally - and even in a urine sample that been still for a month from a non drug taking sample - the GHB levels will rise in that urine.

Making the tests pointless

Meth and g the downfall of rave after this I dont think they will be holding another event at kryal, even though every year they say its the last one, i think this mighta been the iceing on the cake.

"I was extremely disappointed to see people being carried virtually unconscious to ambulances,"

So in reality 3 people out of the 14 near-blow outs weren't responding and needed to waiot half an hour or so so wake up.

bikki_muncher69 said:
Meth and g the downfall of rave after this I dont think they will be holding another event at kryal, even though every year they say its the last one, i think this mighta been the iceing on the cake.
Doubt it.. 5000 people bring in a fuck load of cash for an event like this.

The market is still thriving. People knew about the extra police ect for this event and they still showed up in massive numbers. As long as people aren't majorly deterred from events because of cops and blowouts then they will keep holding raves at kryal

Blowing out at raves is shitty but its hard to dose and bring vials in and stuff.. and i dont bring phones in or watches as I lose stuff.. I've done it once while on meth, mdxx, neos and psychs.. and i just wasnt feeling the G but the psychs kept making me think a new dj was on so an hour had passed... anyway without going into too much detail.. i blew out doing the head hanging right down non breathing throat constriction thing... no one really seemed to notice.. even 10 cops walked right past me (dunno why they were doing a march through.. there was max 2k people there? maybe a bit more?)

so i guess in brisbane we're used to just thinking people are munted. I noticed in Sydney security guards dont let you close your eyes or sit down against walls etc... and think you're overdosing.. gets a bit annoying.

Strobe lights and lasers also caused dancers to suffer epileptic fits.

Sounds unlikely to me, practically every event and club ive every been to has lasers and strobes, and yet epileptic fits certainly dont appear to be at an all time high...

These seizures are transient signs and/or symptoms due to abnormal, excessive or synchronous neuronal activity in the brain

I guess drugs could cause that but then again -

Although assumed to be a common trigger for epilepsy, among both patients and the public, only around 5% of people with epilepsy are affected by flickering lights.

and thats people who actually *have* epilepsy, not jsut pumped up on drugs...

id say its more likely they're trying to fill in space and make raves seem that much worse than they really are.. how can the rest of the information given be reliable then?

My friend had an epeleptic fit twice at a rave, it was very very hot in brisbane. the strobes triggered it from a freeform hardcore buildup. he was talking to my mates sister who hes only just met and started saeizing in front of her (this was like her second pill and rave too).. then later on, he went missing,m he told me a story of the strobes again making his seize and fall onto some guy's lap... who apparently said "sorry dude ive got a boyfriend" LOL

these were the real glossy white/beige kangas late 05 i believe. contained some clean highish dose of mdma and some K which kicked in quick and made everything a bit slow and disorientated.

i went to the kryal party earlier this yr
i found it a very diverse party - so many different subcultures walled in together. i enjoyed it for awhile and then wished only for my own scene - psytrance
its hard putting these subcultures together: their ettiqute can differ, their drugs can differ and their values can differ. i think its the diversity of the kryal crowd that can make it a difficult situation to manage when shit goes wrong
no even 2 sets by posford could get me to go this time - i wont be going back

Expert blames police for mass drug overdoses

DRUG counsellors have launched an extraordinary attack on police, blaming them for causing mass overdoses at a weekend rave.

Users swallowed their drug stashes rather than risk arrest by police patrolling the Kryal Castle event with sniffer dogs, the drug education group VIVAIDS claimed.

VIVAIDS chief Damon Brogan slammed the 70-strong police presence at the Ultraworld Festival as "over-zealous" and demanded they stop hassling revellers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vote now: Should rave parties be banned?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Confronted with such a police presence, some individuals are tempted to unwisely consume all their drugs in one go, rather than throw them away or risk arrest," Mr Brogan said.

"If police operations are increasing the risk of death and harm in the community, perhaps it is time to rethink."

VIVAIDS gets about $800,000 in government funding each year.

Acting Inspector Chris Duthie dismissed Mr Brogan's argument as ludicrous.

"It's an absolute nonsense," Insp Duthie said.

"If these people are that stupid to think taking drugs has better consequences than getting caught, that really is ridiculous."

The majority of those found with drugs at the weekend were not charged, but placed in drug diversion programs.

At least 14 revellers overdosed, with three rushed to Ballarat Hospital and put on life support.

Another 80 were reprimanded by police during the Saturday rave at the medieval theme park near Ballarat, promoted by Hardware Corp.

The Herald Sun believes at least one reveller swallowed drugs in his possession to avoid being caught.

The council that gave Kryal Castle permission to run the rave is considering taking steps to stop the next scheduled party there in February.

Insp Duthie said alcohol as well as drugs caused problems at raves.

From January 1, a new permit condition would require organisers to serve only mid-strength beer.

"Where people are out in the sun drinking alcohol, and some are taking drugs, it's not a good mix," Insp Duthie said.

He said police would maintain a "peripheral" role at the Never Ever Land festival at the Sidney Myer Music Bowl tomorrow and Friday nights.

The venue will host the sell-out Summadayze Festival on New Year's Day.

Both events are promoted through the government-run Arts Centre.

Acting Premier Rob Hulls said the Kryal Castle overdoses were distressing.

"I expect anyone in the future organising a rave party will have a very close look at who organised that rave party, and I suspect they wouldn't want to go too close to them, that would be my guess," he said.

Herald Sun

The comments on this article are enlightening! What a marvellously well informed readership this paper has ;)

Rave raid 'led to overdoses'
December 12, 2007 - 8:20AM

A police raid on a dance party at a medieval tourist attraction near Ballarat in central Victoria caused the overdose of 14 young people, a drug users' association has claimed.

Fourteen people were treated at Ballarat Health Services Base Hospital for drug overdoses at the Ultraworld rave event at Kryal Castle on Saturday, with three spending time in intensive care.

The head of drug users organisation VIVAIDS, Damon Brogan, blamed police for the mass overdose, saying rave-goers swallowed their drug stashes rather than risk arrest as police with sniffer dogs entered the party.

He told a News Limited newspaper the arrival of more than 70 police at the rave party was "over-zealous".

"Confronted with such a police presence, some individuals are tempted to unwisely consume all their drugs in one go, rather than throw them away or risk arrest," Mr Brogan said.

"If police operations are increasing the risk of death and harm in the community, perhaps it is time to rethink."

But Victoria Police Inspector Chris Duthie defended police actions, saying most people found with drugs at the party would be handed to diversion programs rather than be prosecuted.

"It's an absolute nonsense. If these people are that stupid to think taking drugs has better consequences than getting caught, that really is ridiculous," he said.

The local Moorabool Shire Council will meet police and health services on Friday to decide if raves will be banned at Kryal Castle.

Do you know more about this incident? Contact the news desk at 03 9601 2013 or email tips photos and video to [email protected]

AAP

The Age

You can add your comments or view all reader comments to the Herald Sun article here.

Apparently Ravesafe are "drug pushers" as are all drug counsellors. 8)

Rave safe are useless if you ask me, un-trained volunteers who hand out fruit and lollipops to rave-goers.. WOO GO RAVESAFE... what a joke.