Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: SMH - 'They threw me down, they hurt me, they searched my bra'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
They threw me down, they hurt me, they searched my bra

leentjemcdonald_wideweb__470x314,0.jpg

An upset Leentje McDonald describes how police handcuffed and searched her in public, then charged her with assault. She says she was in severe pain from permanent nerve damage in her shoulder.
Photo: Peter Rae

Tom Allard
December 8, 2007

TWO police officers handcuffed a 64-year-old pensioner, threw her to the ground and then searched inside her bra and underpants on a busy suburban road in the mistaken belief she was a drug dealer.

The ordeal left an ailing Leentje McDonald, of Maroubra, in hospital and severely traumatised. But she did not receive an apology from police. Rather, she has been charged with assaulting an officer.

While it is unusual for a pensioner to be mistaken for a 40-year-old drug dealer, as was the case here, civil libertarians say such aggressive searches, and the charging of people for assault or resisting arrest if no drugs are found, are a common and disturbing feature of modern policing.

In her case, Ms McDonald resisted the intrusive search because longstanding nerve damage in her right shoulder meant she was in excruciating pain when the two police officers handcuffed her during the full body search on Maroubra Road.

"I started screaming, screaming so loud because it was extremely painful. It was so painful I could feel it in my spine. I had a blackout. I thought I was going to die from a heart attack," Ms McDonald told the Herald at her small Department of Housing flat, where she lives alone.

October 18 had began like any other pension day. Ms McDonald went to the shops to buy some ingredients for a "nice dinner" and stepped into the Maroubra Junction Hotel to play the pokies for a few minutes while she waited for her bus.

As she left the hotel, two plainclothes police officers, a man and a woman, approached.

"They said, 'Are you dealing drugs.' I said, 'No, never in my life. I don't even like smoking,' " she said. Ms McDonald says the two officers said they were looking for an Asian woman in her 40s.

"I said, 'You must have a mistaken identity. I have never done this in my life. I'm 64, a grandmother of six, please.' I said, 'You can't search me like this on a busy road. I beg your pardon, no.' "

The police grabbed her bag, finding only her wallet, some bills and two cans of coconut cream. But they were not satisfied. While Maroubra police station was directly across the road, about 20 metres away, the officers moved to handcuff and search her on the street.

"I said, 'Please don't do this, I have a frozen shoulder,' " Ms McDonald said.

In terrible pain, she lashed out, scratching one of the officers. They finished handcuffing her and threw her to the ground.

"They did a full body search. They put their hands inside my bra, inside my pants. I said, 'My God. Why is this happening to me?' Then the officer, she says to me, 'Stand up.' But I couldn't stand up. I was crying. Then they said, 'Put your shoes on.' My handbag was everywhere, my glasses, my coconut cream.

"They had no drugs, no nothing. But they arrested me and put me in the truck. They take me to Maroubra police station. That's just across the road!"

The commotion drew a large crowd of onlookers, intensifying Ms McDonald's humiliation. One witness, Josephine Chen, who worked at a nearby photo studio, said: "Everybody stopped to look.

"She kept screaming 'My shoulder, my shoulder' but the police kept ignoring it. She was struggling to free her arm. She wasn't trying to hit anyone."

In the past 10 years, NSW police have been granted increased powers to search people, culminating in the decision last month of the Premier, Morris Iemma, to extend indefinitely the powers given to police to deal with the aftermath of the Cronulla riots.

These powers mean police need only have a "suspicion" of illegality before they undertake an intrusive body search in an authorised area.

Cameron Murphy, of the NSW Council for Civil Liberties, said: "We get hundreds of complaints about this, more than any other issue, particularly when it involves police sniffer dogs at train stations or outside nightclubs.

"If you get upset about what is often a degrading and humiliating experience and they don't find drugs, the police charge you. Some people get what we call the trifecta: disobeying a lawful direction, resisting arrest and assaulting a police officer."

A police spokesman from Eastern Beaches command, Chief Inspector David McBeath, would not comment before Ms McDonald's scheduled appearance at Waverley Local Court on December 19.

However, he said police would take into account any comments from the magistrate before determining if any action would be taken against the officers.

SMH

I hope she sues the fucking pants off NSW police.

What complete dogs. If that happened to me I think I would end up shot.
I think they should go to jail.

Fuck These Pieces Of Shit!!!

Dirt Fuckn Snakes And These Bigwig Fat Fcks Passing All These Laws Fuck Them!!!!!

Welcome To Nazi Australia Enjoy Your Stay, Do Not Leave Your House, Do Not Vote Do Not Take Drugs. Have A Nice Life

[EDIT: BL is not the place to advocate violence. hoptis]

Last edited by a moderator:
Fucking cops. I got bashed a few times when I was young by the melbourne coppers, simply because I was 'suspected' of being a graf artist. One of the worst incidents ended up with me being charged with assualting an officer; however, when I and my dad made it clear we were also going to be taking the police to court (with the aid of one of melbournes finest lawyers, a family member) I pretty much got let off- I had a 5 year bond, but they are useless and meaningless as I alrady had one at the time. Fucking bastards scarred my face for life- he was pretty pleased with himself and his big metal wedding ring. Incidentally, my dad ended up 'attemtping' to take this guy on after he called my mum a stupid bitch. I just spat on everyone (not my parents I hope).

If you are ever approached by the police, the idea is to NEVER anatagonise them in a way they will realise. Be aware of your rights to refuse a search, and be aware that you can take the badge number and name of any police officer you see- they will deny that, but if you insist they will and must do so. If you are arrested, don't struggle- that can easily be turned into an assault charge. That said, if they are violent towards you- well were it me, I would fight back with every bit of strength I had.

This might not be the right place to ask, but I'm always confused when people say you have a right to refuse a search. When do you have a right to refuse a search? If they have a suspicion that you're carrying something illegal, does that override your right to refuse? Is that what happened with this lady? Because they thought she was a drug dealer, they could search her?

Cops get bashed too you know... but they usually deserve it.

absolutely ridiculous. being searched like that in public would be absolutely humiliating.
tough policing like this does not make people respect the law.
'reasonable suspicion' is so much at the policeman's discretion it's pathetic.

Morris Iemma you knee jerk reaction fool.
problem with knee jerk reactions in politics, is that it's usually always a reaction that results in tightening of laws.
therefore we are ALWAYS losing our civil liberties.

do institutions like the NSW Council for Civil Liberties actually get any outcomes?
you always hear about them commenting on things, but do they get their message across to the politicians?

Why would they search her on the street like that? Aren't there procedures in place?

It just doesn't make any sense at all.

No.. cos we sucked down Dubyas terrorism bullshit a few years before this event

^Yeah pretty much. Fuckn John Howard caused this shit. Oh anyone could be a terrorist, even the grandma walking home from shopping. I've never heard of such a terrible thing happening in my life, i hope those coppers get fucked up hard. Pair of wankers.. It doesn't say if the officer who searched her underwear was female. That is illegal in Victoria (for a male officer to search a females underwear)

Ah, this is typical police brutality that happens a lot more than most people realize. Absolutely disgusting behaviour that should not be tolerated!

Being fixed up with charges like this in Victoria is also called "getting a burger with the lot!"

Its illegal everywhere and has to be done at the station or hospital.

kind of sucks for us guys hey.

most of the sydney cops are assholes. they search you if they don't like your appearance. the "suspicions" are fake, they make up a lie on the spot and you can't argue with that. i'm always confused with someone else... i was searched on a busy street a few months ago just because i noticed 2 cops sitting in an undercover car. they accused me of robbing people, and accused me of having knives in posession. they were smart arses the entire time, kept telling me to shut up every time i aksed them a question. then the dogs said where's the weed at, pills etc. i just called them dumb fucks. if i refused the search, they would have taken me to the police station to do it. i didn't bother taking their badge numbers, no one would care or listen. had a few more incidents where they searched me for no reason, every time they feel my nuts i just say something gay like "you like that bitch don't you"... then they look up my name and ask why have i been spoken to so many times, i just tell them "cause you dumb fucks keep pulling me over for no reason".. sick of em.. i don't look or dress like a junkie, i just have bad luck with them bastards :D

gotta act chill.. or treat them like a dog when walking past them, don't show fear or anger. and theyre less likely to bark back

Beatlebot said:
Why would they search her on the street like that? Aren't there procedures in place?

It just doesn't make any sense at all.

I guess some police have been watching too many Dirty Harry movies. Plus the great thing about wearing a uniform and picking on drug users is that they don't complain 'cos they know it will only make it worse for them.

This only hit the papers because the victim wasn't involved in drugs at all - it would still have been against procedure even if drugs were found. But no-one would have complained.

I would of and it would of got my case thrown out in court.
People are just scared.

Its easier Just to play it cool with cops

They hate it when they cant get to you Though sometimes that will provoke them all the more