Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Sunday Telegraph - 09/12/07 'Teens say no to sex and drugs'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
Teens say no to sex and drugs
By Andrew Chesterton
December 09, 2007 12:00am

KIDS are turning away from marijuana and more of them are abstaining from sex as today's youth become more conservative.

Previously unreleased data from the State Government's biennial YouthSCAN report has revealed the number of people aged between 10 and 17 who smoke marijuana has fallen from 36 per cent in 2003 to 23 per cent in 2007.

The report, compiled after three-hour interviews with 600 young people across NSW and Victoria, found nicotine use had also dropped slightly. Just 37 per cent of young people reported smoking cigarettes, compared to 38 per cent of those surveyed in 2003.

The report reveals young people are also waiting longer before they have sex.

Less than two-thirds of sexually active young people reported having sex before they were 16, compared with more than three-quarters of youths questioned in the previous survey.

Members of the NSW Youth Advisory Council - staffed by young people and founded to advise the State Government on youth policy - said high-school students were becoming more aware of the dangers of drugs and more empowered to say no.

"Young people are just so aware now,'' said council member Samantha Dawson, 20.

"You can say, without doubt, young people are more mature, more aware and definitely more educated, whether that education has come from a school, or from parents, about drugs.''

Ms Dawson said better education about sexual relationships removed the pressure some young people felt to have sex.

"The thing young people do now is to discuss these things with people,'' she said.

"Then they can make informed decisions on whether they are ready.''

NSW Minister for Youth, Linda Burney, said young people in NSW had successfully overcome peer and commercial pressure and were making their own decision on the issues of drugs and sex.

"Since becoming Minister for Youth I have come into contact with so many young people, and I've been very impressed,'' she said.

"I think young people today have more pressure on them than any past generation.

"So I'm really pleased with these results, and I'm very proud of young people across the State.''

The YouthSCAN report also found young people measured success by material possessions.

For 19 per cent of young people, money is more important than character when measuring success.

Sunday Telegraph

Its called world of warcraft

Less than two-thirds of sexually active young people reported having sex before they were 16, compared with more than three-quarters of youths questioned in the previous survey.

Its called world of warcraft

Quote:

Lol, too true! Seriously, where the hell do they find these kids to interview them? I'm the exact opposite of what this survey has found, and most of my friends are as well. Maybe it's just my social circles...

You can say, without doubt, young people are more mature...about drugs

Uh, so not taking drugs is a sure sign of maturity? 8)

mature.....until they're 20's ans they take them and know nothing real about them.

Dunno where they found them but mighta been in for a shock if they had interviewed me and my friends

Though I admit it I was 17 before I had sex I was too shy

oddly enough so are most kids these days I blame everyone using the internet to communicate why would you need to talk to people in real life thats em brassing and you make a fool of yourself typing allows u to think about your reply

I get the impression kids are less curious about things today than before.
Might have to do with the information overload produced by all the media, internet, ipods, games, etc. Like, too much to process so the system gets hung.
Just my impression though, maybe I'm tripping out here, don't know

It would be good if the U.S. government took a look at this and realised that ignorance and abstinence-only education are not the way to go. I'm not holding my breath though.

Questionable results. Marijuana just isn't fashionable, cocaine is chic in Sydney, along with GHB and ketamine. Emos and fluero kids love that sort of shit.

Ask them who has used those and im sure they will be up many hundreds of percent over the last survey.

if teens stop tking drugs and having sex id be worried that there i something abnormal/wrong about these new generations