• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

a bluelight decade: global meetup, june 2009 (We're SERIOUS!.. but how about a date?)

Where should the Bluelight 10-Year Meetup be held?

• Hamsterdamnation

Votes: 208 52.1%
  • London

Votes: 55 13.8%
  • Ibiza

Votes: 41 10.3%
  • Prague

Votes: 14 3.5%
  • Budapest

Votes: 8 2.0%
  • India

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • Thailand

Votes: 25 6.3%
  • Mexico

Votes: 38 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dr seuss

Bluelight Crew
who's keen?

it would be a neat-o way to mark 10 years of www.bluelight.nu (ok, 6 years of .nu, and 4 of .ru). there have been some big meetups before and i've certainly been to a few with representatives of at least 6 countries...

but what about a proper global meetup?

2009 is still some way away so there would easily be enough time to get planning - and get saving... if there was genuine interest, we could even book out a big venue for a private party.

who's coming? i can promise that whatever happens you will get to see GL in female clothes.

Amsterdam, but im unsure what some of these subdivisions mean. and are they perday week month? because 204 dollars for lodging a day is ridiculous estimate. even chrissies nice art hotel is 64. bucks a day.

LOCALITY MAXIMUM
LODGING
AMOUNT
$204.00

(A) + M&IE
RATE
$148.00

(B) = MAXIMUM
PER DIEM
RATE
$352.00

(C) EFFECTIVE
DATE
9-1-06

LOL, 6 months have elapsed since inception of the global meetup idea and the location STILL is being debated?

Yeah sure, like this is gonna take place alright. :D

I predict at least another 6 months of location post dithering, interspersed with several months here and there where the thread falls off the main page and folks forget about it.

My prediction: location is finalized in March 2008.

Then another 6-9 months will elapse before someone gets around to researching the best lodging available and posts the alternatives so BLers will at least be able to book non-randomly at several locations and be somewhat grouped together.

Prediction: lodging alternatives posted January 2009.

This will be followed by 3 months of a slew of "FUUUUUCK YEAH I'M DOWN LIKE A MUTHAFUCKIN GOOSE!" posts, followed a month thereafter by a roughly equivalent slew of "Things are lookin iffy but Ima try to make it" posts, then another 2-3 weeks of "Damn guys my fundage sucks, I'm out :(" posts.

Prediction: 19 BLers confirm trip reservations in May 2009. An additional 9 cancel at last minute when they realize their mates aren't going/someone they dislike IS going.

By any usual BL meetup standard though, Operation BL Pipe Dream has been a success.

If you folks are REALLY serious, has a committee been appointed to select a location/sort out the details?

I'd suggest appointing a committee of, like, 5 BLers. One of them would be selected to act as committee chair, responsible for coordinating all the information deadlines and committee decision e-powwows, browbeating the committee members to make sure they meet their information deadlines and then posting the decisions made for the BL community.

The other 4 each take one of the proposed meetup locations and research what events are going on during that time and what accomodations are most convenient/affordable. The 4 then present their research findings and the committee votes on the 4 alternatives, with potential sites being eliminated until a clear majority favorite is reached.

Alternatively, the committee could vote on the site at the outset, then divvy up the research responsibilities among the 4 after selection. This would result in less research work for the committee members, but the downside is the decision is made without the benefit of all of the best available information.

Once the site is selected, the committee members then divvy up research responsibilities for preparing a very general outline of events and transportation/food/lodging options at the site itself, so the BLers planning to come will not be hitting the ground completely clueless and will have a rough guide to use in coordinating with other BLers attending.

There are a fuckton of logistical considerations that ought to be covered...for instance:

1) Where is the nearest US (and other) diplomatic office in case of emergency or arrest?

2) Where can money exchange sites be located?

3) Will your cellphone be usable at the location? Maybe, maybe not. What is best SIM card deal there? Is your charger compatible with local outlets?

4) 30+ BLers arriving without supplies (travelling internationally with supplies is sheer idiocy) will need supply lines that *hopefully* minimize shadiness...are there any local BLers knowledgeable as to reliable supply liaisons?

5) What is best available local transit for large groups?

A good carrot on the stick for these committee members doing a solid planning job would be for all those attending to pitch in and cover, say, one night's lodging at $100 per diem, for each of them. This in turn would also (hopefully) obligate the committee to take their jobs seriously. If 50 BLers ended up attending, that would amount to an additional $10 expenditure for each of them...well worth it imo if many of the trip logistics have been smoothed out for them in advance.

Another thought is this...you could arrange lodging locations sort of like BL Olympic villages, with each major group (US, Europe, Aus/Asia) having its own village lodging area near each other. You could even have each village sponsor a different night of activities, serving as "host" for those activities with an emphasis on BLer flavor from that group. BLers are going to congregate most with those from their own places of origin, at least initially, so why not use that fact to the advantage of the event?

There's also a practical reason for this...centralizing 40+ BLers in one location tends to draw heightened attention to the group, as the larger the group, the greater the tendency to act carelessly because of the mob mindset. A little bit of decentralization would offset the conspicuousness. Of course, none of this applies if you have it, say, in Ibiza.

If you wanted to get really ambitious, you could print out t-shirts with something like "BL Internationale June 2009" (or more appropriately "BL Special Olympics", imo) with some kind of symbol from each major group, similar to the Olympic rings.

But that's probably a bit too ambitious when you get right down to it...I've been known to engage in overly ambitious ideas for meetups that ultimately never came to fruition a time or two in the past.

All these musings are largely academic on my part because I'm getting too old for this stuff and in all likelihood wouldn't be in attendance, but the "If you build it, they will come" adage applies here. People are much more likely to take an idea seriously and invest in it if they have a concrete plan placed before them, plus they're also that much more likely to come if some of the logistical hurdles are already smoothed out for them.

Imo you'd almost certainly have a better turnout that way...without a concrete plan, it pretty much stays in the pipe dream category.

it's the dam

all this talk is just keeping the conversation going. pay no attention.

Exactly we all know it's gonna be in a'dam. :p

glowbug, your plan makes far too much sense to ever be implemented on this board. It would also require a degree of coordination and responsibility that goes against everything Bluelight stands for.

You people are hopeless! :p

The two easiest cities in the world for this to be set up feasibly are Amsterdam and London. I know that no one has voted for London, but there's a big base of people in the UK, the accommodation is a bit better than Amsterdam (probably a wee bit cheaper too)... and flights going there would be cheaper for 95% of people attending. However the people have spoken for Amsterdam so Amsterdam it is (lets not decide it's going to be in Hawaii now).

We need definite numbers, a forum seperate from BL set up (PM everyone who's responded in here + some more). Once we have numbers the rest of the organising should be done on that forum, not here.

What else? Once numbers have been sorted flight deals from each region could be sorted, a few options for hotels, and most importantly we should coincide this trip with either a big festival, or a good party. Either that or we could organise our own event, but that's going to take a LOT of organising... there aren't that many bl'ters in Amsterdam either.

I'm starting to think London (or anywhere in the UK) is a better idea but it's your call everyone. Theres a bunch of shit happening there in the Summer time, anytime between June and August you'll find something on... and if we wanted our own party it would be a LOT easier to put on. Your call anyway. :)

Definitely need this forum started though. I'd do it myself but I'm rubbish, can someone be a good sport and volunteer please. :)

and is it really necessary? you don't want to have so many plans, that way people don't feel obligated to go, therefore not making plans in fear they may not be able to make it...lefty said earlier, those who go will have fun....people can make it there on their own, find their own lodging, and there can be meetups at that time.

this is not some kind of cheesy club, it is a bunch of freewilled drug loving hippies.

though i do admire your detailed post, and if you think that is the way it should be, you do it. YOU be the one to make the plans. someone has to take the reigns, a good leader isn't asked to lead, they just do it.

edit, sorrry, was posting in response to benefit re glowbug...cross post!

we need to record the number of whippet, ketamine, and pcp cherries taken.

you know, tix to burning man go on sale tomorrow, 2009 is so far away, anyone want to plan a closer get together, let me know. i am getting tix tomorrow, and already making the plans for this year....i have wanted to go for years, really looking forward to it. we can have a bluelighter camp, and you artsy folks can come up with a clever idea for a theme.

DarthMom said:
and is it really necessary? you don't want to have so many plans, that way people don't feel obligated to go, therefore not making plans in fear they may not be able to make it...lefty said earlier, those who go will have fun....people can make it there on their own, find their own lodging, and there can be meetups at that time.

Well, glowbug's ideas were just an outline. It doesn't need to necessarily go down like that, but if it's going to be successful as a massive international bluelight meetup, then there definitely needs to be some kind of centralized planning. If you leave everyone to make their own plans, nothing is going to get done. Surely you are old enough to realize this is an unavoidable pitfall of the retarded human condition.

Otherwise, what will happen is instead of an International Bluelight Bash, you'll get a group of maybe 6 to 9 bluelight friends who are already friends and have some disposable income and they'll go to Europe and party with some European bluelighters and L2R will maybe make it out but I highly doubt anyone else from Australia will given how lazy those sacks of shit are. Which is fine, I'm not knocking that idea or anything and whoever does go I'm sure will have fun.

But be realistic; unless a couple of organized people take charge (and even then the turnout is unlikely to be very big), this thing is never going to see the light of day. For one, it's prohibitively expensive for your average twenty-something-year-old drug user in the US to even go to Europe. Then there's booking hotels and accomodations and like glowbug said, taking drugs on an international flight is pretty stupid even though I'm sure most of you would do it anyway. There's coordinating where to meet up and how and when and if people book hotels all over the place you've got a big mess and if your cell phone doesn't work in Europe what are you gonna do?

I'm just being realistic and the rest of you are not. The bottom line is most of the people who are gung-ho about that shit now won't end up being there, so you should consider that if you're planning your own trip.

DarthMom said:
you know, tix to burning man go on sale tomorrow, 2009 is so far away, anyone want to plan a closer get together, let me know. i am getting tix tomorrow, and already making the plans for this year....i have wanted to go for years, really looking forward to it. we can have a bluelighter camp, and you artsy folks can come up with a clever idea for a theme.

Haha, yeah just watch. Try and organize a bluelight meetup for Burning Man (which is right here in America) and see what the turnout is like (you'll get a bunch of California people who were gonna go anyway). Then think about doing the same thing for more people in a locale that is further away.

you are killing my buzz benefit. go back to being sarcastic and funny.

seriously though, i know what you are saying, and agree, which is why i think that a big organized event is not a good decision...but i still think a fair amount of bl'ers would show up, and it would be a great time, without the organization, so it seems to be a lot of work for someone to attempt to do when it wouldn't be necessary, and would possibly be fruitless

but really, i haven't even been to one of y'alls events, so i really have no right to be making decisions or judgements on any of you guys ;)

[Otherwise, what will happen is instead of an International Bluelight Bash, you'll get a group of maybe 6 to 9 bluelight friends who are already friends and have some disposable income and they'll go to Europe and party with some European bluelighters and L2R will maybe make it out but I highly doubt anyone else from Australia will given how lazy those sacks of shit are. Which is fine, I'm not knocking that idea or anything and whoever does go I'm sure will have fun.
So true! Mind you it does cost a few body parts for a return flight to Europe from Australia. Still though I'll be there, I've got more than enough reason to go there...

why doesn't someone just finally make a poll for this thread where we can vote on the location...then the place this thing is gonna be held will be *officially* determined and we can all get past that part of the planning...

and i do agree that there needs to be some planning to make this thing happen, or else it will be mad chaos.

DarthMom said:
That's exactly what makes this kind of meetup a success, people who didn't feel obligated to go and backed into it, only committing at the last minute because of indecisiveness and popping in at random times. :D

And these same people who are hedging on committing because of their fear they can't make it are going to take the initiative and do all that planning work themselves? Okay, sure. :D

this is not some kind of cheesy club, it is a bunch of freewilled drug loving hippies.

though i do admire your detailed post, and if you think that is the way it should be, you do it. YOU be the one to make the plans. someone has to take the reigns, a good leader isn't asked to lead, they just do it.
DM, my post wasn't about making BL into some corporate club...it was about being realistic, realizing the considerable logistical hurdles facing such an endeavor and addressing them in some type of general plan. The plan doesn't have to be heavily structured, there just has to be some kind of general outline to motivate people to get off their lazy asses and act. Removing some of the work for them doesn't hurt either.

Bottom line is, this thing won't happen on the scale envisioned without it. It may not even happen with it, but it almost certainly won't without it.

I would gladly offer to do it if I were younger, more motivated and more certain that I would be in a position to attend. As it is, the answer to all of those inquiries on my part is no, I will most likely not be in such a position. But how I can help it to happen is by emphasizing the importance of doing what has to be done to give it the best chance of happening.

Half-assed efforts make for half-assed results. And this ain't all preaching, it's part personal experience. I've hosted several mini-meetups myself, specifically on non-home turf as this one is envisioned, and I can tell you that the ones that were approached more proactively went off better, with better attendance and better event cohesiveness.

Yes a poll is a good idea. We do also need another forum to deal with this, just incase people couldn't be arsed reading through my long arsed post before. Can someone do this? I would if I was geeky enough, but I'm rubbish at it, sorry! Best not to post too many details on here.

The main choice of locations are as follows. I'll even put in the ones that we don't really like that much.
  • Amsterdam
  • London (or elsewhere in the UK)
  • Ibiza
  • Prague
  • Budapest
  • India
  • Thailand
  • Australia (undecided as of where)
  • Mexico
  • USA (undecided as of where)

If anyone disagrees with that list then say no or forever hold your peace. I'd prefer for it not to be held in Aus or USA as it will be a lot harder for people to come along if they have any sort of criminal record, but the choices are there regardless. Now, lets get a poll done, vote and decide asap. Maybe leave the poll open for a week to get everyones input.

Should this be going into events?

I apologise if I'm stepping on anyones toes, but someone had to do something. :p

props to glowbug and pekkie for taking some initiative.

i was co-founder of a large-scale burning man theme camp which i took to the playa - along with a group of friends - four times. early in our first year, we settled on the 'benevolent dictator' model for managing things and it worked really well every year.

i have a lot of friends who were members of other camps who went for a total democracy approach and, more often than not, it was a disaster and it took an age to get anything done.

i agree location is key but a consensus is already forming. after that, i believe 'somebody' needs to just make a few executive decisions :)

clearly, wherever it happens, some people will spend a lot on travel and others will spend little. i sent seuss some suggestions on how we could mitigate large travel bills for those coming from afar but i'm not sure how well the ideas would be received.

i also suggested that, depending on the turnout, we consider some activities which go beyond the obvious hedonism which will ensue naturally: discussions; etc. which will give people an opportunity to meet and talk in an environment other than a raging club (let's obviously do that too :) )

alasdair