• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Glucosamine Sulphate 2KCl Question

MrMoss

Bluelighter
Basically I want to know the difference between ...

Glucosamine Sulphate KCl [This is noted as SALT FREE]
and
Glucosamine Sulphate 2KCl [This one is not SALT free]

Care to explain the difference between [2KCl] 2 Potassium Chloride and just [KCl] Potassium Chloride ... I thought both would be salts!

Ta!

both are salts

perhaps one simply as marketing notes salt free as it has no sodium and in lay lingo most think of sodium (NaCl) as SALT (and as salt being 'evil')

both are fine

Umm I think it's prob always 2 KCl per 1 glucosanime lattice point, not sure tho

that is to say, i believe leaving out the 2 doesn't matter,

another example would be: dextroamphetamine sulfate is two drug moieties per sulfate moiety, yet you never hear it called that

And i'm going to agree with my esteemed colleague Dr. Lux and say that the lack of sodium is why they are saying it's salt free; albeit it's a marketing ploy.

-Lord Adrenochrome

Last edited:
Glucosamine Sulphate 2KCl 1,500mg

Active Ingredients
Glucosamine Sulphate 2KCl 1500 mg
Provides:
Glucosamine Sulphate 1129.5 mg
Equivalent to:
Glucosamine Base 892.5 mg

Ingredients:
Glucosamine Sulphate DiPotassium Chloride (Derived from Shellfish), Microcrystalline Cellulose, Polyvinylpyrrolidone, Croscarmellose Sodium, Magnesium Stearate, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, Titanium Dioxide, Talc, Vanilla Flavour, Polyethylene Glycol.

So waddaya think? Is Croscarmellose Sodium the culprit or was it Prof Plum in the Kitchen with NaCl spiking the Brandy?

Its legal for a company to label something as "salt free" if the amount of salt present is below a certain value.

Clearly the one that contains two moles of salt per glucosamine sulphate passes the limit for being "salt free" and the one with one mole is allowed to be called that.

Adrenochrome said:
Fuck this glucosamine sulfate bullshit

just buy glucosamine hydrochloride

Calm down Mr Chuckle ... it's for me Mam .. she told me what she needed and mentioned the salt free flavour (I took as a marketing plot TBH) ... but salt free is twice or more the price .. hence I asked the educated folks some Q's.

Seems any Health Store I check does Sulfate not HCl ... :\

Thanks though :)

I wonder if the Glucosamine Sulphate KCl is really also Glucosamine Sulphate 2KCl. You might want to compare the labels and see if the active glucosamine sulphate is listed on the KCl stuff.

The KCl is added as an anti-caking agent basically. Glucosamine sulphate, or more accurately di(glucosamine) sulphate is like many sulphate salts very hygroscopic - it absorbs water and cakes.

Usually what is done is 2 mols of Glucosamine Hydrochloride is dissolved and 1 mol of K2SO4 is added. Then the solid is crystallized out, the "mixed salt" being easier to process because it is free flowing, and better shelf life. 1 KCl seems weird.

"Salt free" has nothing to do with real salts, obviously. It's really "sodium free".

MrMoss said:
Calm down Mr Chuckle

Firstly, as you are a mere surf, you shall address me as, 'Lord Adrenochrome'.

MrMoss said:
Seems any Health Store I check does Sulfate not HCl ... :\

Do you have any advanced drug questions about glucosamine?

retired_chemist said:
I wonder if the Glucosamine Sulphate KCl is really also Glucosamine Sulphate 2KCl. You might want to compare the labels and see if the active glucosamine sulphate is listed on the KCl stuff.

From the label/ingredients list:
Glucosamine Sulphate 2KCl - Not listed as salt free but has Croscarmellose Sodium as an additive.
Glucosamine Sulphate KCl - Listed as salt free.

Other vendors supply Glucosamine Sulphate 2KCl and make no mention of Salt (or Salt FREE) and the ingredient list does not include any sodium molecules.

Anyway, thanks AD you were speedy and most helpful :)

I believe you actually can manufacture a single salt KCl product but it is indeed more difficult and expensive (and assumably also inhibits caking)