• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Mint or drug: Is Hershey's cracked? (photo included!)

phr

Ex-Bluelighter
Mint or drug: Is Hershey's cracked?
Jill Porter
Philadelphia Daily News
11/30/07

20071130_dn_0jsah3gl.jpg

FAMILY COURT Judge Lori Dumas Brooks wanted to make sure she wasn't overreacting.

So she held the small blue packet of powdered substance in her palm and showed it around at work yesterday.

Everyone asked the same thing:

What was she doing with crack cocaine?

"I thought she confiscated it in the courtroom," said Administrative Judge Kevin Dougherty.

No one could believe what the tiny pouch actually was: a new breath mint made by - get this - Hershey's.

Ice Breakers Pacs, which hit the stores this month, are dissolvable pouches in blue or orange that look uncannily like tiny heat-sealed bags of cocaine, crack, heroin or any other powdered drug.

The Pacs, filled with powdered mint and sweetener, are meant to dissolve on the tongue like breath strips.

They're even packaged in a plastic slide-top case similar to the magnetic key cases drug dealers use to hide their wares under cars.

"I could not believe it," Judge Dumas Brooks said yesterday.

"Who in the world thought of that, and how did it get approved?"

The pouches are so realistic, they even fooled Philadelphia Police Chief Inspector William Blackburn.

"Being in narcotics the majority of my career, I thought it was the real stuff," said Blackburn.

"It's a disgrace to see a company selling a product like this and basically glorifying the drug trade. The best word to describe it is despicable."

The best word to describe Hershey's is . . . clueless.

"It's not intended to simulate anything," corporate spokesman Kirk Seville told me yesterday, refusing to acknowledge the similarities between the candy and street drugs.

"We have a longstanding commitment to consumer safety, product quality and responsible packaging," he said, adding that the Pacs are "clearly labeled."

"The dissolvable pouch is what makes the product innovative and unique. The overwhelming feedback from consumers is they love the product."

Maybe Hershey's should have had Linda Wagner in one of its focus groups.

Wagner is a 10-year veteran of the Police Department who switched to narcotics three years ago for personal reasons: Her teenage daughter died of a heroin overdose in 2001.

When Blackburn showed her the mint packets yesterday, Wagner was near tears.

"I was shocked," she said.

"Hershey's is totally irresponsible for marketing this product."

When Officer Regina Missouri saw them, she immediately conjured up the potentially deadly scenarios the look-alike pouches could create.

What if children use them and subsequently stumble upon and ingest a real bag of drugs, thinking they're mints, she said?

What if a drug dealer mixed some in with real street drugs and sold them to an unsuspecting buyer - who retaliated with a spray of bullets?

What if a teenager took them to school? Even though each pouch has a small Ice Breakers logo on it, how would a street-naive teacher differentiate it from drug packets, which are also sometimes labeled by their distributors?

"This is unheard of; it's an insult," said Missouri, a grandmother of three young children.

She brought the packets to the attention of her commanding officer in the Employee Assistance Program, Capt. Thomas Collier, who brought it to Blackburn's attention.

Officer Tracy Brooks, Missouri's colleague in the EAP, brought some home to show his wife, Judge Dumas Brooks.

And the judge imagined another scenario: the undermining of drug busts made on visual observation of money changing hands for colored packets of powder.

"This potentially could give them a legal out," said Dumas Brooks.

"It's terrible. It's terrible."

My jaw dropped, too, when I saw the Pacs. And everyone I showed them to thought they were street drugs.

Is Hershey's trying a new edgy and urban marketing tactic? Are the candy-makers brain-dead from too much chocolate?

It's hard to imagine a company so isolated that it doesn't recognize the similarities between its "newest refreshment innovation" and the powdered junk that's for sale on the streets.

Company founder Milton Hershey - who devoted his fortune to saving children - must be rolling in his grave.

Clearly the company needs to take this product off the shelves.

"I think some strong community groups, groups with parents that have lost a loved one should unite together and petition this company and demand that this product be taken off the market," Chief Inspector Blackburn said.

Officer Wagner plans to do her part.

"I'm going to contact Hershey and hopefully I'm going to get a meeting," she said.

"I'm going to bring my daughter's picture, and let them see what drugs can do."

Link!

LOLOLOL

"irresponsible" "despicable" "glorifying the drug trade"

what the FUUUUCK!?!?

they are funny though....8)

That would piss me off so much if I found some of those on the ground.

I'd probably think I just won the jackpot, only to be left with nothing but minty fresh breath. Glad I saw this.

Officer Wagner plans to do her part.
"I'm going to contact Hershey and hopefully I'm going to get a meeting," she said.
"I'm going to bring my daughter's picture, and let them see what drugs can do."

Wow, sound like a fun meeting, ever consider therapy?

Lets be honest it DOES look like what it's not, IE: drug pouches, brilliant or super dumb marketing move ? We'll find out soon enough I guess:|

Since when are drugs sold in dissolvable pouches like those?

And since when is crack powdered?

And why bring a picture of your dead daughter to a meeting with hershey, because no matter what they're just mints, not heroin. Heroin killed that ladies daughter, not the way the heroin was bagged up, or similiarities between the ice breaker packages and wax bags filled with dope. It is what it is. Take it at face value.

^^^I agree, In actuality, if the woman's daughter had used Hershey's product (instead of heroin), she would not be dead right now.

I would be willing to bet that somewhere, on some corner, somebody has a pocketful of these-- only $20 a bag8o

bludragonfly said:
^^^I agree, In actuality, if the woman's daughter had used Hershey's product (instead of heroin), she would not be dead right now.

i dunno, i really wouldnt like to try shooting a bag of that.....

I was just about to post this. Funny shit!

Are these in stores already? I have never seen them before!

Wow, that broad with the dead daughter is a fuckin head trip n a half. Dumb bitch. Icebreakers killed your kid OMG. Idiots like this are same ones who would try and ban baggie manufacturing becuz those evil factories know they are providing the holding spot for millions of drugs. Wow, this shit is so damn stupid I cant even keep postin here, its too early and its too unbelievably dumb.

Also, CRACK AINT FUCKIN POWDER. Those do not look like bags of crack or coke. Know why? Becuz they are sealed ALL AROUND THE OUTSIDE. I never seen a bag like that in my life. I seen baggies that ziplock at the top. I seen bags heated with a lighter and melter together. But nobody packages their product by laying a piece of colored plastic down, puttin a rock in the middle, and then laying another piece of colored plastic down over the top of it and sealin it around all 4 edges. It just dont make sense. They are seein somethin that looks VISUALLY SIMILAR to a bag of drugs, but it aint, becuz it aint even a fuckin bag, its a sealed packet. These people are cops and they dont even know what a goddamn bag of rock looks like? THATS what scares me most about this.

"Officer Tracy Brooks, Missouri's colleague in the EAP, brought some home to show his wife, Judge Dumas Brooks."

what a fitting name

Wagner is a 10-year veteran of the Police Department who switched to narcotics three years ago for personal reasons: Her teenage daughter died of a heroin overdose in 2001.

When Blackburn showed her the mint packets yesterday, Wagner was near tears.

Lol, this is definitely the kind of cop people need to watch out for :d

A real renegade.

lacey k said:
Wow, that broad with the dead daughter is a fuckin head trip n a half. Dumb bitch. Icebreakers killed your kid OMG. Idiots like this are same ones who would try and ban baggie manufacturing becuz those evil factories know they are providing the holding spot for millions of drugs. Wow, this shit is so damn stupid I cant even keep postin here, its too early and its too unbelievably dumb.

Also, CRACK AINT FUCKIN POWDER. Those do not look like bags of crack or coke. Know why? Becuz they are sealed ALL AROUND THE OUTSIDE. I never seen a bag like that in my life. I seen baggies that ziplock at the top. I seen bags heated with a lighter and melter together. But nobody packages their product by laying a piece of colored plastic down, puttin a rock in the middle, and then laying another piece of colored plastic down over the top of it and sealin it around all 4 edges. It just dont make sense. They are seein somethin that looks VISUALLY SIMILAR to a bag of drugs, but it aint, becuz it aint even a fuckin bag, its a sealed packet. These people are cops and they dont even know what a goddamn bag of rock looks like? THATS what scares me most about this.

QFT my friend.

Look,
I
reckon
"Drugs In The Media"
is one
of the
MOST
IMPORTANT
forum's
on BL.

This article is soooo crazy,
it's movie-like.

"Swank.
times
more addictive
than marijuana.!"

Dear God.

Thankyou
Mod's of D.I.T.M.
For Not havin' Info
Like This Tram'am'ple
Your
Frontal Lobes....

PEACE
UnS
:D
:| :| :|
=D ;)
^
^
^
^
^
8)

yea this is dumb people are retarted.......ah fucking ignorant people piss me off to no exstent

lol why have all of UnSquare's posts started being like this....?

i'll have whatever youve got =]