Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Declaring War on the “War on Drugs”

drplatypus

Bluelighter
FYI...

ANALYSIS

Drugs policy should be based on science, not ideology, says Dr David Caldicott. So it’s time for researchers to stand up and be heard.

Old soldiers, faced with the past horrors of conflict, are often the last people to embrace war as a solution for society’s problems. It is instead those who have no real experience of the heat of battle who always seem so keen to commit other people’s children to an uncertain fate in the pursuit of questionable goals.
And so it is with Australia’s commitment to the so-called war on drugs.
In 2004, a federal government committee of enquiry released a report on illicit drugs, The Road to Recovery. In it, a group of politicians questioned the validity of the term of ‘harm minimisation’ in the Australian context. In response, the peak medical body in Australia, The Australian Medical Association, stated that any move away from harm minimisation and towards prohibition or ‘zero tolerance’ would have “catastrophic” consequences for Australia. In September 2007, the same committee, with the same chairperson, arrived at the same unsupported conclusions, in its predictably-titled sequel, The Winnable War on Drugs.
Readers of this column might be forgiven for assuming drugs policy in Australia is driven by impartial commitment to science and medicine. The reality is that although excellent research is produced in this country, it is filtered through a dark glass of religious morality, pseudoscience, political spin and electoral exploitation, creating a climate of fear and intimidation in the research community, and leaving world-class ideas on the cutting room floor. I greatly suspect the same is the case in other countries afflicted by drug problems.
If The Winnable War on Drugs shows us anything, it is this; it unmasks, with a clarity heretofore unrevealed, the shabby tactics used by politicians in Australia to attempt to pervert science for their own political gain.
Perhaps the least damning aspect of this report is its dishonesty. 188 expert opinions and submissions were made. 133 endorsed harm minimisation. And yet bizarrely, this taxpayer-funded government report arrived at the conclusion that harm minimisation should be abandoned. Go figure.
Further conclusions, seemingly conjured from thin air, or reflecting frank intellectual failure, abound. How is the injecting room in Syndey’s Kings Cross such a bad thing when the government’s own independent assessment found that it had saved over $2 billion in the treatment of blood-borne disease? Should intravenous drug users in Australia be forced to endure a slow and painful death sentence for the sake of a certain group of people’s sense of morality?
Much is made of the Swedish model of drugs prohibition in this report. Yet three separate submissions to the report pointed out significant flaws in the Swedish system – such as higher rates of hepatitis C and deaths caused by overdose – and yet were not included in the final report. It appears that failure to consider this opposing view was a deliberate omission, merely because it contradicted the government’s position on zero tolerance.
The use of a 1950’s morality approach to drug use by 21st century children is ill-informed. A recent article in The Medical Journal of Australia suggests that 85 per cent of young Australians between the age of 15 and 25 already know about the harmful effects of drugs. What can someone of the age and demographic background of the majority of the reports authors (conservative and on the wrong side of their prime) tell young Australians that they don’t already know? The youngest member on the committee was one of three signatories of a dissenting report, which found the whole report to be a ‘waste of tax-payers’ money’.
No evidence exists to support the suggestion that the use of the term “recreational drugs” has the slightest influence on either the patterns of uptake or the patterns continuing of drug use in young people. The reality is that it offends a middle-aged sensibility, and that young people actually do use drugs for recreational purposes, regardless of how unsavoury those of their grandparent’s generation find the concept.
It has been the tradition of the research community to not dignify inane and unfounded political statements on drugs policy with commentary, and consequently politicians and wowsers alike have had free-kicks in the debate on drugs in Australia. The solution to the hole that we find ourselves in is not to dig deeper and faster, as anyone advocating an escalation on the ‘war on drugs’ would suggest. It is neither cowardice nor capitulation to refuse to fight in a war that is unjust, a war that is doing more harm than the very drugs it purports to combat. We need a lot less martial rhetoric, and a lot more time and energy spent in understanding the motivation behind young Australian’s interest in drug use, rather than making them the whipping boys and girls for the larger ills of a bloated, selfish society. A rhetorical war may be easier to prosecute, but does nothing to a address the meat of the problem.
In summary, as a piece of scientific research, this report does not meet the standards of an undergraduate degree paper, never mind the rigid criteria for publication in any peer-reviewed body of literature. We are left with one of two unpalatable conclusions – either the authors truly don’t have the capacity to understand the intricacies of the debate, or they do, and are prepared to misrepresent the science for the purposes of their own tawdry political goals. Either of these should disqualify the authors from any role in policy-making.

Dr David Caldicott is an emergency doctor and research fellow at the Royal Adelaide Hospital.

www.aph.gov.au/house/committee/fca
www.aph.gov.au/house/committee/fhs
www.safety1st.org

Source: Cosmos Magazineine
ISSUE 18 • DEC 07/JAN 2008
http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/

Yeah that is cool - hopefully with the change in government some of the lunatic fringe will have to pull their heads in now (Drug Free Australia I'm looking at you!!!).

It is frustrating that facts are useless in the political arena, unless they come with sufficient spin.

A letter from Nicola Roxon (former shadow minister for health - now minister?) published yesterday on an elist:

Dear XXX

Labor strongly condemns illicit drug use and supports a “tough on drugs” approach as a means of protecting Australians from the terrible consequences of drug use and abuse. This is evidenced by a series of recent Labor policy announcements.

Labor has committed to a National Strategy to crack down on methamphetamines or “ice.” This included:

a ban on importing ice pipes and other drug paraphernalia

either further restrictions or a complete ban on sale of pseudoephedrine - a key ingredient of methamphetamine - to minors
work to restrict or ban the sale of pseudoephedrine over the internet
the extension of the special reference to the Australian Crime Commission to conduct a national investigation into the criminals engaged in the manufacture, sale and use of methamphetamine.
Labor has also committed to boost Australian Federal Police numbers by 500 including tackling the importation of illicit drugs.

Labor supports the aim of helping those who use illicit drugs become drug free. It must be recognised that illicit drug use and drug addiction in particular can be complex. Despite the best efforts of families, Governments, health professionals and community groups such as churches, a small number of people still engage in drug taking behaviour. This is a tragedy that families across the social spectrum face.

How best to deal with those who are resistant to intervention is not an easy task but society should not give up on trying to engage them in treatments that will see them become drug free and minimise the harm they do to themselves and their families. Labor believes that health professionals need to be able to use a range of prevention and intervention approaches and that these must be seen as part of a continuum that has freedom from drugs as an end goal.

Thank you for writing to Federal Labor about this important issue.

Yours sincerely
Nicola Roxon MP
Shadow Minister for Heatlh

Not very encouraging.... but hopefully events over the weekend will have an impact...

[EDIT: Fixed formatting. hoptis]

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but these are always the same points even if so politely dressed.
It is not going to be viewed logically - or hell even realistically.

Maybe there is something more underlying in their agenda, because I fail to comprehend how they cannot realize they are tenacious idiots.

uNhoLeee said:
Maybe there is something more underlying in their agenda

Yes. Yes there is. No person shall be from this day allowed to have what might be construed as being ‘fun’. You will all conform to our dress attire, work from 7 until 5, go home and stare at the TV and then slowly loose any part of personal autonomy that you have left until you are just like us - exxxxcellent *with fingers eagerly praised*

Rather than reply to the good Dr in the neo thread (I have a tendency for my attention to swiftly wander -woops, sorry), I have taken his advice; however, rather than starting a new thread, I thought perhaps this thread would be more appropriate.

There are a number of presumptuous statements there, deconstructionist. The first is the 'us and them' game, where people who use drugs assume that no-one who is studying drug use has used drugs. I know ALOT of the drug research community, and most are personally familiar with at least some substances. Many get into research because of their experiences. And I would say most use instruments that they see as relevant to the user experience.

I whole heartily agree that many people in the field become involved due to their past experience, an experience with a family member, etc. People do not just fall into the field. The statement regarding the instrument development was really just my wayward sense of humour. Although it does reflect my ambivalence towards the authority of science and a fear that as I become further involved in the area this model can become so ingrained that one’s roots are lost.

Medicine doesn't suck the fun out of drugs... where does that come from? Whether you like the 'paradigm' or not, drugs can cause harm. Drugs don't always cause harm, but they can. Harm minimization is about preventing that
harm occurring. Harm happens when drugs are used in a way that causes harm. Lots of people choose to use drugs that way. Wherein lies the fault of medicine? I hate the way irresponsible users give authorities an excuse to irresponsibly legislate...

uNhoLeee said:
Yes, but these are always the same points even if so politely dressed.
It is not going to be viewed logically - or hell even realistically.

Maybe there is something more underlying in their agenda, because I fail to comprehend how they cannot realize they are tenacious idiots.

This disdain that you are sensing comes from both the aforementioned ambivalence and the model within which I have been working. When we think about why we perceive certain drugs as being unacceptable then, we might like to think about the schemas that we have developed as members of our society, instilled through constant exposure to portrayals of how we ‘should’ understand the world - for fear of being part of the out-group (Richard Dawkins talks about this in terms of memes). I have conceptualise this understanding in terms of discourses. Thus, we have different discourses (or schemas) within which we can frame the use of substances, whereby not doing so leads to incoherent arguments. Such discourses have developed as historical quirks, but are perpetuated in the interest of a number of institutions.

So for example, alcohol has been a part of the Anglo-Saxon culture for many years. Iit has been a part of Church rituals, and thus, an acceptable (even respectable) part of society. Now that we live in a Capitalist society, however, it is business that profits in the continuation of this substance being acceptable, so it is in the interest of these organisations to point out that through ‘well-considered’ regulations the consumption of alcohol does not/will not create any social harm. Further, they can draw on the moralistic discourse of the very institution that has made alcohol an acceptable custom to highlight that it is not alcohol itself that creates social harm, but those individuals who are characterologically flawed (e.g., Indigenous Australians, young people, etc.) and shouldn’t drink - look at who is targeted in the media for their drinking behaviour and how they are portrayed (it is a case of ‘guns don’t kill people, people kill people’)

Contrarily, the reasons behind the criminalisation of opium or marijuana were essentially racial - Australians were fearful of the Chinese immigrants who, they thought would take their jobs. Following a fear-based propaganda campaign against the cultural customs of the Chinese (including the smoking of Opium), Australians became concerned with these practices - after all, what better way to punish an out-group than through removing their substance of choice. To exemplify this racial motivation rather than concern with drug-related harm, consider what the New South Wales Chief Medical Officer, Dr Ashburton Thompson, stated during the deliberation process pertaining to this legislation : “The balance of evidence regarding opium in countries where it is commonly used by others than the sick … is in my opinion, a) that at worst, much less harmful than alcohol; b) that although like alcohol, it is sometimes abused, the result, as compared to the results of abuse of alcohol, are negligible; c) that in countries where it appears to be required, it is, broadly speaking, not merely harmless but useful” (1905, as cited in McAllister, Moore & Makkai, 1991, p. 205). Marijuana was outlawed in the US for similar reasons with regard to Mexican immigrants, and Australia followed the US’s lead (some things don’t change!!) given that the effects of this drug, as outlined in the propaganda campaign in the US (including homicide, blindness, deception, etc.), seemed to make this the only reasonable option.

So why is this image perpetuated? The Psychiatrist Thomas Szasz Szasz (an interesting character - despite him being a nutter, I still love him) has proposed that contemporary society has moved away from the Church having control, to the medical institution having the greatest power. For example, it could be suggested that good health is the new piety - to be healthy is to be pure, to be divine. In a similar fashion that the Church burnt those who had alternative ways of healing at the stake (i.e., witches), Szasz suggests that the medical institution vilifies anybody who promotes ‘medications’ that are no longer deemed to be useful (after all, most of the illicit substance have had a medical use at some time). Indeed, it is in their interest to do so. We can’t have people dropping the odd ‘E’ instead of taking anti-depressants.

Hence, we as citizens of this society who are indoctrinated in these discourses do not question the acute or chronic toxicity of alcohol, since it has never been illegal in the first place, and to do so would be to go against a number of powerful discourses - it goes against the status quo and heaven forbid us to be an out-group member. Concurrently, these same discourses prevent us from perceiving anything but disdain towards illicit substances (As a side note, Smith and Berg propose that society needs scapegoats, which I would suggest that illicit substance users are, to allow a splitting defence mechanism such that society places the ‘ills’ of society onto the scapegoats so as not to have to see these ‘ills’ in ourselves). However, in maintaining this status quo, it is difficult for to talk about strategies such as harm-reduction, since any talk of moderation is precluded by the aforementioned discourses.

Thus, in a nutshell, I think that the medical model can (at times) preclude harm-minimisation (harm-reduction in particular), and is perhaps why people within this model can get opposition from both sides in their own work - people from the social sciences side stating that medicine cannot fully deliver this message and some (perhaps the minority now?) people from medicine stating that this is a disease that needs curing, not just a band-aid solution of harm-reduction. Hence, the religion of health is used in political warfare, contextualised within the medical model, to push the role of abstinence.