• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Do-It-Yourself Liver Test Launched In U.K. Measures Alcohol Damage

fruitfly

Bluelight Crew
Do-It-Yourself Liver Test Launched In U.K.
Ishita Sukhadwala - AHN News Writer
October 30, 2007

London, England (AHN) - A liver test, which allows people to see the extent of damage to their liver due to excessive drinking, has been launched in the U.K. Tuesday.

Until now the device, called the LiverCheck test, was only available in clinics and hospitals. By making it widely available, manufacturers of the test say they hope people will be able to take responsibility for their own health and increase their awareness of unhealthy lifestyle and when to seek medical advice.

The test measures two enzymes produced in the blood when liver cells are damaged due to excessive alcohol.

People taking the test send their blood sample to a laboratory and can expect to receive results in forms of a color-coded warning scale within a week. Those with off-the-scale- results will get a call from the laboratory urging them to go see a doctor.

According to Channel 4 News, Dr Rajiv Jalan, a liver expert at University College Hospital in London believes the test will save lives.

He said: "If someone knew they were going to get liver disease, they would do something about it. LiverCheck could avoid them getting to the stage where they are doing themselves real harm."

However, other medical experts have warned people not to depend excessively on the test results.

Professor Humphrey Hodgson, of the Royal Free Hospital and spokesperson for the British Liver Trust, said: "Alcohol can affect other organs in the body and a visit to your GP can assess all these areas and paint the bigger picture of your health. The last thing we want is the promotion of a false sense of security which results in people drinking at hazardous and harmful levels", reports BBC News.

The test costs about $200 and can be purchased over the telephone or the Internet.

Link

Apparently you get a test kit, do the test, and send the kit to the company. They'll then mail you the results.

Neat. I wonder if it's completely confidential?

phrozen said:
Apparently you get a test kit, do the test, and send the kit to the company. They'll then mail you the results.

Neat. I wonder if it's completely confidential?

Why would it not be confidential? Do you think they are going to send the results to the liver police?

Wait a minute, in what way is this DIY? You send them your sample in the post. They do the test and send you the results.
The only differences between this and going to your doctor is you pay for this and you won't have to wait weeks to do this test.

A doctor visit isn't free either.

I'd be curious to know exactly how you're supposed to take your own blood, and how much you're supposed to take. Also, wouldn't shipping it through regular mail be considered a biohazard?

Most of us here wouldn't have a problem with taking our own blood, but I'd imagine that the average person would.

^ It is in the UK. We have the NHS.

If the sample size is on the scale required to do a blood sugar test, then all but the most squeamish could do it. Anything requiring blood to actually be drawn just wouldn't be viable, I think.