• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Smoking weed with a head cold and cough?

Dead_Head

Bluelighter
Of course i am aware of the fact that any type of smoke can and will irritate the lungs, but i was wondering how many of you guys smoke when you are ill or sick? Does it help you, do you get as high as your normally would, will you get even more ill from the smoke?

Thanks.

I always do, and it always depends, some times smoking makes me feel worse, sometimes it makes me feel a bit better, but I always wind up pissed I didnt save what I had 'till I was over it.

Ha, that's exactly what i was thinking. I use pot as my sleep medicine, that would probably be the only reason i would smoke or if i was offered a free smoke by a buddy or something.

i never really liked smoking with a sickness of any kind, it alway irritated my thoat and made me feel way shittier

I can't smoke anything when I am sick, I am prone to bronchitis so I can't risk it.

Eh. I figure it's probably bad for me when I have a sore throat. I try to lighten up on it.

... on the other hand, it usually makes my throat feel better. Sometimes I'll take just a couple easy hits for that reason.

Strange replies, i love to smoke when i get sick. I live in north america where the winters are fuckin freezing! So naturally i and everyone around gets a cold or two ever winter. And the first thing i do when i feel it is smoke. Congested? Smoke a fat bong rip and clear that shit out! Feel tired but cant sleep? Smoke an indica and enjoy some nice dreams. achy body and head? Smoke a fatty! Just feeling like shit? Tear up that bong! etc. I mean, it is not going to cure your sickness but it will relieve some symptoms just as well, if not better than otc medication. Surely if you dont agree with anything else you have to admit when you wake up in the morning and cant breath a huge rip will clear that shit out temporarily. Definitely keep in mind that heat and tar are not good for your lungs at any time, so try to stick to bongs and vapes if possible and smoke only what you need to relieve symptoms or you will be a lot more sick for a lot longer.

Shit i forgot to mention about that dry cough thing, if you have serious fits of unproductive coughing while sick do not smoke much at all, if any weed. You will be coughing no matter what but when you have been coughing for a long time it starts to become painful and so coughing harder for a while because of that sweet ganja really hurts and the smoke/tar/heat irritates the lungs/throat more. I have chronic fits of unproductive cough every time i get a cold! It sucks, i cough forever, i can hardly stop long enough to eat and sleep at night is not an option for me or anyone living with me while im sick. Luckily opiates are the one and only thing that can do anything about this, so i get some purple drank from my doctor (codeine cough syrup) and before you know it im leanin like im in a mud puddle and i can finally stop coughing. Any opiate/opioid will be effective for this though, but man its hard to smoke opium when you cannot stop coughing. And once you have the cough under controll your cool to smoke ganj as needed.

peace and good health

Last edited:
I find it helps with the symptoms very well and puts you in a nice mood!

When I used to smoke I wouldn't if I was sick with a cold/flu since I'd feel worse and cough more. ;-\

When I smoked daily I had allergies and that wasn't a problem.

i used to smoke all the time. sick or not. but if you are sick and want to consume marijuana, why not try using a method that isnt so harsh on your throat and lungs??maybe use a vaporiser or hot knives(spots)!!!!!
if you use knives that are slightly cooler than red hot it gives a similar effect to using a vaporiser e.g it just heats the outside crystalls etc of the bud but doesnt burn all the rest,resulting in less actual smoke!!!!

I used to have a boyfriend that said smoking pot stimulates ur T cells.. and that it helps you get well..
never read up on it.. sometimes it sounded like bullshit.. just so he could smoke my weed.. lol

Cook with the weed you've got?
That way you get all the benefits of the cure-all cannabis, without the throat/lung irritation!

^true you wouldn't get the throat/lung irritation, but you would also loose the benefit of cannabis being an expectorant of sorts

Pshaaw said:
I used to have a boyfriend that said smoking pot stimulates ur T cells.. and that it helps you get well..
never read up on it.. sometimes it sounded like bullshit.. just so he could smoke my weed.. lol
...your "T cells?"

whenever i'm sick i never feel like eating, and surely weed is right there to help me get over that.. and out of bed in a better mood

Of course its no good for your lungs.. but pot does help the healing process.. anyways.. if you smoke pot.. why the fuck are you asking this question? just smoke the pot that you want... your cold or whatever will go away anyway...

Miracle

I got sick last night and was freaking out cause I hate being sick. I woke up ths morning fuuuucked up chills, sweats, phlegm, stuffy nose, head ache, sore throat and zero appetite. I kept taking robutussion but that stuff doesnt work compared to nyquil but thats all i had.. I was looking here to see if smoking weed was bad for when your sick but i took a hit out of a bong and i feel soo much better. My headache is gone, im hungry and the feeling of being cold and hot are gone. Weed really does help you FEEL better but doesnt get you better. Get rest and get lots of fluids... Oh yeah a bong hoot! :D

Another Miracle!

I too just had a really shitty cold with a fever and all come upon me and i smoked an entire quarter of headies to my face, via a nice bong.

Im not sure if I regret it or not because throughout the last 36 hours, the it varied from helping to making it worse. I actually coughed so bad i hacked up some phlegm or something and then gagged and threw up in the sink.

I don't think it cures it but shit it made me feel so much better. And today I woke up and im 80% better than I felt yesterday! I think i tricked my mind into thinking it wasn't sick, or could fight it off better, like a placebo of health, and it made my immune system kick its ass.

and made it much more enjoyable to watch 16 episodes of south park

There are a few situations where I won't, but in general I find that smoking really makes an illness much more bearable.

If I have a bad chest cold, I try to vaporize, and avoid smoking before my workout (I run/workout regardless of illness), as otherwise it really raises the chances of bronchitis.

However, in all other instances, I really have no problem with smoking. Being high is a nice way to spend a lazy day laying around the house recuperating, and I've found there's something about it that almost makes me forget that I'm sick. It's like there's this general crappy, down feeling I get no matter what kind of illness I have . . it's not even really a symptom, just a sense that my body isn't quite right. Pot seems to almost universally make this feeling subside so that I feel more normal.