Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: The Australian - 14/11/07 'Ice is mum's new little helper'

lil angel15

Bluelight Crew
Ice is mum's new little helper
November 14, 2007

AMPHETAMINES and even ice are the new "mother's little helper", with Valium being pushed aside by mums as they struggle to cope with domestic demands.

Of the 5500 mothers requiring help from a Perth hospital this year, 400 would have substance-abuse issues, and of those a third would have taken amphetamines or ice, according to a report delivered to a women's health conference in Adelaide yesterday.

"The sort of women we are dealing with are not women who use methamphetamines or ice in nightclubs on a Saturday night," Claire Henderson, of the Women and Newborn Drug and Alcohol Service at Perth's King Edward Hospital, said.

"The women we see use amphetamines to get by in their day-to-day lives, to get up (in the morning), to function, to take the kids to school. It's taken over from mother's little helper, Valium."

Ms Henderson said the mothers taking drugs had "complex social problems".

"They are often victims of abuse, with poor education. Their peers are using, it's a part of the culture, with people with low socio-economic backgrounds," she said.

The risks of drug-taking in pregnancy included bleeding, premature delivery and fetal growth retardation.

Sharyn Stonely, a clinical midwife at King Edward Hospital, said it was crucial to have multi-disciplinary care to help deal with drug issues.

"Drug use is just one of the things going on - there are relationship issues, homelessness, contact with police or even jail," Ms Stonely said. "These issues may have been going on for years, they can't just stop with pregnancy."

Ms Henderson emphasised the hospital's message was not punitive. "We are absolutely supporting women to make positive changes in their lives," she said.

The Australian

If that is true it would be speed and not ice that they are using.

If they were using ice they wouldn't be sleeping.

Sounds like a pretty cool Mum!

i wonder if dhs will be as quick to take the kids from middle class ice using mums as they are from the less economicly/ socially fortunate mums

if bronwyn bishop will have her way that is......:p

Last edited:
just because they are using speed doesnt mean they are being abused. sheesh. perhaps they're just really fucking tired from having to work and look after kids?

when my daughter was born i started drinking coffee, im up to two double shot espressos a day. no speed, just coffee... its cheaper... but when you're only getting broken sleep, max 4 hours in one go, 7 days a week, as if you're not going to think "i could really use a dexie right now"...

it amazes me to no end in this society that demands people do more with their time and sleep less that there is only one legal stimulant (and caffiene is a shit one at that, no one likes a day of anxiety if your cuppa is too big) and if someone is on an amphetamine, well, tar and feather them!!

Wouldn't be the first time. It was all the rage to prescribe methedrine to American houswives in the forties and fifties- Kurt Vonnegut has some disturbing recollections of a meth addicted mother who killed herself by drinking drano. I think it might actually be a part of his childhood experience...

Verybuffed said:
If that is true it would be speed and not ice that they are using.

If they were using ice they wouldn't be sleeping.

Why would "speed" (either amphetamine or cut methamphetamine), not keep someone awake? It all depends on the dose, and its not nessecarily true that just because something is of lower purity, people will consume a lower dose. In fact, I'd say that generally speaking, people will probably consume more to get stronger effects so in the end they may end up dosing higher from lower purity products than compared to having a small amount of high purity stuff.

Besides, while it might seem unlikely to some, I don't doubt that there are many mums out there who either smoke or inject ice on a daily basis.

peaked said:
Why would "speed" (either amphetamine or cut methamphetamine), not keep someone awake? It all depends on the dose, and its not nessecarily true that just because something is of lower purity, people will consume a lower dose. In fact, I'd say that generally speaking, people will probably consume more to get stronger effects so in the end they may end up dosing higher from lower purity products than compared to having a small amount of high purity stuff.

Besides, while it might seem unlikely to some, I don't doubt that there are many mums out there who either smoke or inject ice on a daily basis.

I assumed that they would use at the start of the day and crash out by bedtime. I then assumed that if they were using ice they would still up the next morning.