Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: The West Australian - 12/11/07 'Qld govt to get tougher on drugs'

lil angel15

Bluelight Crew
Qld govt to get tougher on drugs
12th November 2007, 15:50 WST

The Queensland government is boosting penalties for possessing, supplying and trafficking a range of dangerous drugs under new laws to go to state parliament this week.

State cabinet on Monday approved amendments to the Drugs Misuse Act, which will be introduced in the final parliamentary session for the year starting on Tuesday.

Under the bill, maximum jail penalties for possessing, supplying and trafficking the drugs ecstasy (MDMA) and death (PMA) will be increased from 20 to 25 years.

"Under the bill, the schedule two drugs, ecstasy and death, will be reclassified as schedule one drugs, which carry greater penalties," Premier Anna Bligh said.

"Valium and Serapax, as well as drugs previously in schedule 2A of the laws, such as steroids, Rohypnol and ephedrine, would be added to schedule two, which carries a maximum penalty of 20 years' jail for unlawful possession, supply or trafficking."

Attorney-General Kerry Shine said in addition to reclassifying a range of drugs, the government would introduce a new concept known as "analogue" into law.

"It will mean that drugs which are not named in the schedules, but have similar structure and pharmacological effect, will attract the same penalties," Mr Shine said.

The bill will also create new offences for the supply and production of substances such as pseudoephedrine, and equipment used in the production of dangerous drugs like pill presses.

The West Australian

lol PMA is called death?? Never heard that one, though I didn't think PMA was all that popular anyway... anyone ever tried it??

That's stupid. MDMA and MDA have been Schedule II for ages. It does not make saense MDMA being a "often deadly, dangerous and very addictive drug".

Either way if you can prove you are addicted to MDMA you can still get it down to 20 years max for possessing, trafficking or producing the drug.

If QLD removes its drug diversion program I think this Bligh bitch needs to be shot. Why doesn't she focus on REAL health issues like the QLD hospital and health system like the last premier failed to fix and the reason he quit.

Valium and other benzos as schedule two is ridiculous!!!!! Its legal to possess even without a script in every other state and by federal laws.

Why do the media always pull random names for drugs out of their asses?

'Death.' Lol.

Hell, has anyone 'ever' heard GHB called fantasy?

^Yes. But i agree with ya, i rekon the media coined that term and people just went along with it, sheep.

Eight from 10 drug dealers dodge jail time
By Steven Wardill
November 13, 2007 12:00pm

EIGHT out of 10 convicted drug dealers are being let off without jail time by Queensland's courts.

Damning new figures reveal 5479 people have been convicted of serious trafficking, production or supplying offences since July 2005.

But just 938 were made to serve time behind bars while the rest were handed suspended sentences, intensive correction orders or a fine.

The figures - contained in a response by the Attorney-General Kerry Shine to a question on notice from the Opposition - also show the courts have failed to give a single drug dealer the maximum penalty of 25 years.

Coalition justice spokesman Mark McArdle yesterday condemned the low rate of imprisonment, saying jailing drug dealers was about protecting young people from a life of abuse.

"If we are going to be serious about stopping drugs and saving young people, we have got to make sure people who peddle in death are dealt with severely," he said.

"The fact that no one has got the maximum penalty highlights an inability... to establish clear parameters that, if you are going to deal in these substances, you are going to spend a long time in jail."

However, the Attorney-General said sentencing was a matter of judicial discretion and judges had to take into account the circumstances of the case and the defendant.

"There are so many different circumstances in the supply of drugs," he said. "It could be the Mr Bigs supplying or it could be siblings supplying to other siblings.

"The circumstances vary so much and we believe the best people to determine what sentence should be imposed in this, and other areas of the law, should be judges."

The figures came as the State Government yesterday talked up its efforts in the war on drugs by re-announcing plans for new maximum penalties for illicit substances such as ecstasy and ice.

The new laws - to be introduced in Parliament this week - will re-classify ecstasy and another drug, "death", as Schedule 1 drugs, which will carry greater penalties.

The Government will also introduce a the concept of "analogue" into the Drugs Misuse Act, meaning that substances with a similar chemical structure and pharmacological effect will carry the same penalties.

Mr Shine said politicians were telling the judiciary the community felt offences were serious by increasing maximum penalties.

News.com.au

If QLD removes its drug diversion program I think this Bligh bitch needs to be shot

I believe this legislation was passed some time before she took over the reins, but I don't recall ever hearing about a decision to abandon the diversion scheme.

Interesting to see the Qld analogues bill - that every professional speaks of, but which I've never been able to find - is to actually become law.

Yeah I was actually nearly charged on this law, until they couldn't find it anywhere and my case was closed.

^Thats good to hear. Lucky one. Regardless of nazi lesbian premier, we are just being pulled slowly into a police state. Thats "their" game. They institute change so slowly that no one notices it until its too late. Drug driving tests and cascading random searches through night club districts would have been unimaginable 10 years ago and now they are becoming reality.

We all need to get our shit so tight, we all need to clean up our game. We need to make people aware of the pile of shit that is being pilled up over their heads waiting to be dropped on them at any time. Its time people get more vocal.

QLD Pigs are trouble. I know high up detectives that know this. They want them out of the force. They are power trippers and are not welcome in the force. See the next two years expelling a lot of police officers.