Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Houses are extensively modified to hide drugs

phr

Ex-Bluelighter
Houses are extensively modified to hide drugs
Kirsty Nicolson
Peterborough ET
11/9/07

CROOKS who run cannabis factories are doing DIY so they can cram in more drugs without arousing suspicion.
In what has been described as the most sophisticated lengths yet seen by police, criminals installed fake walls into a respectable looking home so anyone who peered through the window would see what looked like a normal family room.

But beyond the fitted cupboards and plasterboard walls lay rooms packed to the rafters with cannabis plants and hi-tech heating and monitoring equipment.

This was the scenario which faced city detectives when they raided the property in Peterborough Road, Farcet, yesterday morning.

They discovered what looked like two normal rooms at the front of the detached property – the front room and a room which was a converted garage and had patio doors at the front.

Detective Shanie Nayor, from Peterborough CID, said today: “I have never seen a house where people have gone to these lengths before.

“They had gone to some effort to disguise the fact they were using the house as a cannabis factory.

“The false walls had made it look like you were walking into a normal room, but behind the walls there were all these rows of cannabis plants.”

Officers took away nearly 500 full sized plants and nearly 500 seedlings, amounting to around £100,000 worth of drugs.

Det Nayor said she had seen instances where people had put plasterboard behind a bay window, so it looked like there was a normal room inside.

The false
walls are not the only methods criminals use in an attempt to thwart officers.

In some houses, in other parts of the country, they have booby trapped drug factories.

In one raid in London police had to be extra careful after discovering the back door had been wired to the mains, so that anybody trying to enter it would be electrocuted.

Over a 12-month period in Hampshire, 87 cannabis factories were discovered – two of which were booby trapped.

When officers raided the properties they found that the mains electricity had been wired up to the doors and windows.

Hampshire’s drugs intelligence manager, Detective Sergeant Andy Waite, described the move as a “sinister development” and urged landlords to be cautious.

Peterborough police said they have found no booby trapped properties so far and ensure staff from the electricity board are in attendance when they raid the homes.

Link!

Detective Shanie Nayor, from Peterborough CID, said today: “I have never seen a house where people have gone to these lengths before.

“They had gone to some effort to disguise the fact they were using the house as a cannabis factory."

damn, you mean people don't just grow in their living room in front of the bay windows? The sun would be great, they could reduce the electrical usage a little!
C'mon, seriously, of course people will modify grow setups. Lower-quantity growers modify closets and nightstands and shit like that, why on earth would you expect anything less from people who use a whole house as a grow op?

Yeah, Grow houses are modded, is this big news? I've seen old houses that looked like they had no basement, outside and in, the guy even disguised the outside of his house to make it look like it was on stilts, so no basement.

He moved the rug in his living room, lifted a hatch and bam, welcome to his lair. He got busted though :( I was dating his daughter.

Its an art hiding them really, a nice grow house will have no smell or look of anything, and are only busted by rats and back stabbers.

Ungoliath said:
Its an art hiding them really, a nice grow house will have no smell or look of anything, and are only busted by rats and back stabbers.
just to add to that, there are other reasons good setups go down, things like power usage and whatnot have caught people before (you're running ridiculous power for lighting on a daily cycle in a small house, doesn't really look too legit =D ). Also they *used* to look for heat sources of grow rooms but I believe that has either been disallowed, or is only allowed with warrants now.

500 plants and 500 seedlings is a big grow. I wonder if it was a smaller operation if he could have continued to get away with it.

article said:
CROOKS who run cannabis factories are doing DIY so they can cram in more drugs without arousing suspicion.
lol this reads like the author is mentally retarded. DIY=do it yourself, so, like, are they suggesting there's methods besides DIY for grow ops? Hmm I've never heard of contracting companies setting up the rooms for paying customers yet =D . Damn, if shit were legal, how much fun would that job be? You could be in a marijuana growroom union lol!!

^^^^ I agree, bing. If they ever decriminalize drugs I will stop doing them altogether... ;)

bingalpaws said:
just to add to that, there are other reasons good setups go down, things like power usage and whatnot have caught people before (you're running ridiculous power for lighting on a daily cycle in a small house, doesn't really look too legit =D ). Also they *used* to look for heat sources of grow rooms but I believe that has either been disallowed, or is only allowed with warrants now.

I a know a large scale reptile breeder who was questioned because of his power usage and amount of heat which was radiating out of the house.

In New England, U.S., Weed is the biggest cash crop grown in the seven states. Small black helicopters equipped with heat sensors manned by the DEA are buzzing over the rooftops all the time. They are nothing if not dilligent, or assholes, whichever you choose.

^^^^ Or for those who choose not to choose, diligent assholes.

Youkai said:
I a know a large scale reptile breeder who was questioned because of his power usage and amount of heat which was radiating out of the house.
it's funny because when I first read that I had a pretty intense saltwater tank setup with corals. The lighting on saltwater tanks, especially coral tanks, can start becoming more and more like grow room lighting (metal halildes, timers, ridiculous light usage, etc). I read about that online, look over at my tank which was just lighting the room up with intense compact flourescents, and just had to laugh at that scenario.

For every reptile breeder, I wonder how many sophisticated $10k saltwater coral tanks look suspect lol =D

Living Asylum said:
In New England, U.S., Weed is the biggest cash crop grown in the seven states. Small black helicopters equipped with heat sensors manned by the DEA are buzzing over the rooftops all the time. They are nothing if not dilligent, or assholes, whichever you choose.
I thought weed was the biggest cash crop in the country lol.

Also, I lived in new england for most of my life and have never seen or heard of this, and am also under the impression that the ability of the gov to do massive, sweeping heat sensor scans for grow ops was *rejected* and they can only look for heat once they have a specific warrant.

Sorry your post just doesn't ring true dude.

"By contrast, tactics like thermal imaging scans of personal residences (Kyllo v. U.S.) or mandatory car searches are unreasonable and inadmissible since they could show illegal AND legal activities."
(banquo in legal subby)