• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Hide your old pills in poop: US govt

Chronik Fatigue

Ex-Bluelighter
Sorry to continue with the unfortunate 'poop' theme, but this shit (excuse the pun) is actually for real...

Hide your old pills in poop: US govt

November 8, 2007 - 10:39AM

Got some leftover drugs - the kind that someone else might want to use, such as painkillers or stimulants? Wrap them up in used kitty litter or other pet droppings, the US government advises.

A pilot program at the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration is looking at ways people can safely dispose of unused prescription drugs that are liable to be abused.

The Food and Drug Administration recommends flushing some of the most dangerous ones down the toilet, including the strong, addictive painkillers oxycodone and fentanyl and stimulants such as methylphenidate.

But environmentalists worry about the effects on fish and amphibians.

On its website at http://www.samhsa.gov/rxsafety/, SAMHSA recommends ways to disguise leftover pills.

"Mixing prescription drugs with an undesirable substance, such as used coffee grounds or kitty litter, and putting them in impermeable, nondescript containers, such as empty cans or sealable bags, will further ensure the drugs are not diverted," it says.

Of course some people do not drink coffee. But maybe they have a pet ferret.

"Ferret waste, like nearly any other form of pet waste, can be effectively used to help prevent the abuse of unused prescription drugs," SAMHSA spokesman Mark Weber said.

This news delighted the American Ferret Association.

"The US government declares ferret poop to be an effective weapon against drug abuse," the group said in a statement.

SAMHSA said the problem is no joke.

"One in five teens reports intentionally misusing someone else's prescription drugs to get high. Nearly half say they get the medications from friends and relatives for free," it says in a statement.

Dr. Ilene Ruhoy of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, studied leftover pharmaceuticals found in the homes of 473 people who died in 2006. She found 3,562 controlled substances, or an average of nearly eight per person.

More than half were hydrocodone painkiller products, while the rest were oxycodone, morphine or fentanyl.

© 2007
Reuters

haha, I read this in the paper the other day.

Gotta look out for those trash digging drug addicts

Why not flush them down the toilet? I could use some more amphetamine and oxymorphone in my carrots and potatoes.

that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Who the hell would look for rx pills in the trash?! It'd be easier to scout the trash for coins to amass to just buy the damn rx pills. I wonder how many 100's of trash bags you'd have to painstakingly dissect before encountering a single pill of use..

How about just flushing unused controlled substances. It works in the movies!

Reminds me of that line from willaum burroghs about him digging in his grandmothers anus for a morphine suppository.. I'd dig though shit if I thought there was oxycodone and especially fetynal in it.. ftw

nuke said:
Why not flush them down the toilet? .

Cuz like they said......it fucks the lil animals n all. Yea id love some oxytatoes too but think of all the other shit ppl flush, that aint good drugs. Youre adding all that to your ground water and while humans might drink filtered water animals n plants get that shit from the ground. our earth is already fucked enough without addin this shit to it. I say, how bout you just follow the age old rule. One mans trash is another mans treasure. If you dont want em, give em to someone who does.thas all. OMG pills that no one needs or is using will go to use for someone who wants tthem, without the drug companies gettin a cent out of it! OHNO!

pills in the toilet/sink wouldn't ever really be an issue given the ridiculously higher volumes of other crap people dispose of in that way when they're not supposed to be (I could list a million things here lol, that are all commonly used, toxic, and flushed in much higher concentrations than pills ever would be).

I was just thinking about this though - clearly prescription pills get diverted. Some stolen, some bought on the sly, some given away/traded, whatever. I don't think anyone, including the DEA is going to admit that finding unused pills in the trash is even a remotely significant % of diverted prescription pills, which makes this entire suggestion/warning on how to dispose of them kind of pointless. Before I even say this I know how conspiracy theory-ish it'll sound, but to me this almost seems more of an approach to make people (the kind who wouldn't say "hey, got some leftover vicodens, better give them to someone who'd like them") think their pills, and these chemicals, are just SOOO dangerous and bad when not used as directed, that such retarded measures should be put into place upon disposal.

I mean, I'm not one for finding hidden meanings or being into conspiracies or anything, but this is just completely pointless from a drug enforcement perspective if its sole intention is to erradicate that 0.0000001% of diverted rx pills that come from someone throwing them out, and someone later finding the 4 expired vicodins you trashed..

yes, but part of the "authority" and "legitimacy" of the DEA etal is having an answer for every question, no matter how insignificant and meaningless.

This article is hilarious. For one i really doubt anyone is thinking " FUCKIN EH, ITS GARBAGE DAY!!! LETS GO FIND ME SOME PILLS"

and second why would they choose ferrets, id think most people have a dog or cat. These guys are fuckin retarded.

And just to add, you consume a plethora of drugs and chemicals when you drink from the tap, not in high concentrations, but who wants any concentration of drugs in their water....

I never drink out the tap, fuckin filthy ass water full of fluoride and chlorine

Looks like the government "think tanks" have gotten a little too close to the septic tank.

clamjuice said:
And just to add, you consume a plethora of drugs and chemicals when you drink from the tap, not in high concentrations, but who wants any concentration of drugs in their water....

I never drink out the tap, fuckin filthy ass water full of fluoride and chlorine

^Oh yeah and all the drugs im assuming you do would be a whole lot safer.

clamjuice said:

clamjuice, I'm gonna have to ask you for some data on that. Last I heard tap water was actually very well regulated, and, generally, better than bottled water.