Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Peyote Cactus growth

picadore

Bluelighter
I almost bought a baby peyote cacti yesterday, it was for sale in this cool little shop. It was so cute.

Anyone know how long they take to grow? or how hard they are to take care of?

^^^
15 to 20 years to full maturity I think, but dont take that as gospel. Plus you would need at least 10 peyote buttons to fel the full effect (I think).

OT, sorry;)

So if you grafted a Peyote cactus to a San Pedro which can grow a foot a year . . .

What sort of time would it take?

TBH I don't really know, although a few friends are cactus hobbyists and have successfully done so, but gardening just isn't my thing.

"peyote can be readily grafted onto faster-growing rootstocks, and this usually triples or quadruples the plant's rate of growth. Japanese nurserymen, for example, have obtained peyote plants large enough to flower within a period of 12-18 months by grafting the young seedlings onto more robust root stocks."-erowid
http://www.shroomtalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6275

when i was amsterdam a few months ago, i ate some and asked the same question. i was told a solid 10 to 15 yrs for full maturity

It is a hobby that takes a long time i've been collecting for a few years now cacti and own several large loph. willimsii and i couldn't bring my self to eat them. the pic off the one with the fluff is the only one which has hit full maturity and produces 10- 15 seeds a year. while the one with many heads is good for taking one off every year and growing a new one.

they are very easy to take care off, don't water in winter and water once a week in summer, alternating between plain water, and water with a bit of seasol in it to help it along. aswell a ferterlizer low in nitrogen and high in phosphrous is also good once a year.

The only way you could kill it is to over water or fertalize, don't graft it as it will lose its value and magic.

Attachments

• loph willimsii.jpg
    loph willimsii.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 329
  • lophs many heads.jpg
    lophs many heads.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:
lil angel15 said:
Split from Producing Mescaline from Eucalypt Sawdust? thread to produce more discussion and to stay on topic. :)

I had a feeling that was coming ;)

The new Google Co-op search bar should be quite handy for this, I know I've already linked to one forum with a huge wealth of cactus knowledge. Are you guys getting it put up in this forum?

Teddles said:
don't graft it as it will lose its value and magic.

How so? Everyone I know that are into cactuses swear by it. Do you mean it loses monetary or spiritual value?

$$ value, the peyote content doesn't change and i have know idea about its fruit. I wouldn't graft one off mine for anything, there such cool plants by them selves both pedro's and lophs, i wouldn't ruin them by grafting.

there alot of grafted lophs on online austion sites which are completely over priced, some people even graft them then un-graft them two years later and use hydroponic rooting liquid to pass them off as original Lophs.

you can sort tell how old a loph. is by its buldges and ribs and the size off its root, it should be about three times the depth of the plant.

http://cssaustralia.org.au/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/

A couple of members have been very helpful with questions and answers, aswell there is some really good books out there on cacti, and heaps of thesis's.

Last edited:
Teddles said:
It is a hobby that takes a long time i've been collecting for a few years now cacti and own several large loph. willimsii and i couldn't bring my self to eat them. the pic off the one with the fluff is the only one which has hit full maturity and produces 10- 15 seeds a year. while the one with many heads is good for taking one off every year and growing a new one.

they are very easy to take care off, don't water in winter and water once a week in summer, alternating between plain water, and water with a bit of seasol in it to help it along. aswell a ferterlizer low in nitrogen and high in phosphrous is also good once a year.

The only way you could kill it is to over water or fertalize, don't graft it as it will lose its value and magic.

Such darling little beautiful plants. Need to start my crop.

yep, i'm on my way too owning every strain from mexican/US desert.

the third i grew from seed which turned out to be a Loph. willimsii cross with a loph diffusa, pretty freaky i thought, the seven other seedlings where plain lophs, so i'm assuming when it hits maturity it'll be sterile?? i think?? and have no seeds or fruit.

Attachments

• loh. texana.jpg
    loh. texana.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 180
  • loph. palia.jpg
    loph. palia.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 188
  • loph vs diffusa.jpg
    loph vs diffusa.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 228
  • half collection full sun.jpg
    half collection full sun.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 251
Teddles said:
$$ value, the peyote content doesn't change and i have know idea about its fruit. I wouldn't graft one off mine for anything, there such cool plants by them selves both pedro's and lophs, i wouldn't ruin them by grafting.

So if you aren't interested in selling them then grafting should be fine, no?

If you want a crop of lophs in no time then graft away.

Grafting should remove any guilt in consuming the lil fellas (where legal) as an army can be produced in a very small time given optimum conditions and rootstock. It has however been argued that grafted lophs lack the potency of lophs grown on their own root. I guess if age equates to accumulation of alkaloids then this may hold to be true.

One thing i forgot to add is when you water your cacti, use rain water, not tap water as it is full off chlorine, fulride, alumiumum sulfate etc. You can generally tell there ready to be watered when they start to shrink and shrivel. the longer you leave them the faster they will grow cause they will drink as much water as they can, it's pretty impressive, they have adapted to desert perfectly as they neveer know when the next rain is coming.

You can tell the difference as tap water leaves a white residue on the plants which can't be good for them, but rain water leaves them clean and bright. If using seasol or other fertalisers keep them away from the cacti, water around them or else it will leave marks which slowly eat into the cacti and make them look sick and takes the beautiful blue/greeen colour from them.

They will also turn red when young if they get too much direct sunlight, just introduce them to it slowly and hour each day until they can sit in direct sunlight all day in the middle off a 43 degree day.

an over watered Loph will also wrinkle. let the soil dry out completely between watering ~ once a week over summer should be plenty and never water during winter.

IMO grafting results in unnatural growth and ruins a Lophs aesthetics but it can be benefitial. as said previously speeding up the growth of lophs will significantly lower the alkaloid levels so a grafted loph will need to be removed and grown on its own roots (when it eventually puts them out) for a couple of years to allow the alkaloid levels to begin to bounce back. that is if you plan on consuming it and a couple of its mature friends.

Lophs and their seeds can be expensive to buy, the older the specimen the more you will pay for it. Lophs take a couple of years to reach flowering age, grafting will significantly speed this up. grafting a young Loph first on Pereskiopsis then Echinopsis (formerly trichocereus) rooted stock will give you a free source of seed to raise an army of Lophs from.

my innerself said:
^^^
15 to 20 years to full maturity I think, but dont take that as gospel. Plus you would need at least 10 peyote buttons to fel the full effect (I think).

15 to 20 years is excessive, half that will do to consume them and dose is better estimated on weight rather than number. 10 younger, smaller buttons will clearly give a noticeably different trip to 10 older buttons that are twice the size.

dont waste a whole heap of buttons on a peyote trip, if youve got your heart set on it consume a lower to moderate dose of extracted mescaline (or Echinopsis preparation) then eat 2-3 small mature buttons which will be enough to 'colour' the trip

Yesterday out off the blue one off my Loph's flowered (koehresii) a seven and a half year old if that gives you any idea how long it take for a loph. to reach maturity. It flowered for about 16 hours, which is a bit off a shame I'm glad i took some Pics.

Attachments

• floering loph.jpg
    floering loph.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 168
  • flowering lopp.jpg
    flowering lopp.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 196
Hey I am just wondering but I just planted a few peyote cactie the other weekend and I was just wondering how long do I have to let them grow and how big should they look when you eat them? Aslo are you able to get more seeds from them when they flower or something...:\