PDA

View Full Version : Why did my dog just eat one of her puppies??

igotthatwork
06-11-2007, 21:37
holy shit, i just went outside and my dog was chewing on one of her 3 day old puppies! I was gonna take the pup away from her, but it was already dead. What's crazy is although it grossed me out, i couldn't look away... She slowly chewed it up bit by bit, ass first, and ate the whole damn thing. I could hear the bones cracking in her mouth. She is a 2 year old mutt with some lab in her named Gretchen. any ideas/suggestions?
WTF?????

igotthatwork
06-11-2007, 21:39
and also, should i be worried about her eating the rest??? theres 5 left now....

trip.more
06-11-2007, 21:42
this is sick, take it away from her.I would be worried about the rest.Call a vet and see what they think.

Tootsie
06-11-2007, 21:42
Aw, that's sad. Call a vet and ask them about it.

trip.more
06-11-2007, 21:48
^That made me LOL

A good question, why would you ask this on a drug forum?=D

If you see the internet in like a bunch of groups of people, you so just walked past all the people who would know over to all the people in the corner on LSD playing with their hands & asked them.

StarOceanHouse
That happened to a dog I used to have...it's kind of weird...I think the dog probably felt her puppy was sick or something.

animal_cookie
argh, i am an idiot who needs to learn to clean up threads before moving them. sorry guys!

lounge ----> SO.

but now vibby's funny is still there :)

igotthatwork
06-11-2007, 21:52
i took all the other pups inside, gonna call the vet now.

^That made me LOL

A good question, why would you ask this on a drug forum?=D

and i wasn't aware that the lounge was a drug-specific forum, just thought i'd get a diverse group of people's opinions...

AmorRoark
06-11-2007, 22:02
Mothers eating their babies is a part of a lot of nature in a lot of animals. It really makes sense. If the mother has too many puppies or if her maternal instinct tells her that the puppy won't survive she will eat one so the others will get enough milk to survive. Does the term survival of the fittest ring a bell? Granted, a lot of mothers won't eat any of their young but it's not totally uncommon.

Damien
06-11-2007, 22:04
^ The lounge isn't a place to discuss drugs as it is actually against the rules of the lounge. But Second Opinion is a great place to get insightful responses from some of the great minds of BL.

igotthatwork
06-11-2007, 22:08
Mothers eating their babies is a part of a lot of nature in a lot of animals. It really makes sense. If the mother has too many puppies or if her maternal instinct tells her that the puppy won't survive she will eat one so the others will get enough milk to survive. Does the term survival of the fittest ring a bell? Granted, a lot of mothers won't eat any of their young but it's not totally uncommon.

yeah thats pretty much what the vet said. Strange thing is, this dog had 8 puppies in her last litter (6 this time) which all lived and were healthy...

gonna keep the other pups away from her a little while longer today, definitely getting her fixed tho

MazDan
06-11-2007, 22:13
I have seen this happen a few times and in each case the baby animal was either dead or very nearly or it obviously had something not quite right about it.

Its a perfectly natural thing for many animals to do.

Finder
06-11-2007, 22:22

I wish some humans ate their young. :\

Pander Bear
06-11-2007, 22:44
some do, just not enough. :D

CloudyHazeD
07-11-2007, 00:20
It is not uncommon for mother animals to cull weak or sick young.

Also, in the wild, some animals will resort to eating the weak young when food is VERY scarce, hence the mother can not produce enough milk for all her young. (really really doubt/hope that's not your case)

I doubt your animal will eat any other of its young.

Noodle
07-11-2007, 01:17
some do, just not enough. :D

:lol:

Akoto
07-11-2007, 03:09

I had a cat who did the same thing and this is what I figured the reason was.

I would hazzard a guess, though, that it might have something to do with stress or illness which would make her think that keeping the runt will hurt her in the long run (ie, supporting another child will kill the pack)

syymphonatic
07-11-2007, 04:10
if they are that young, don't separate them from their mommy!! just keep a close eye on them... they are too young to be away from their mother- they are totally dependent (for lie) on her care during the beginning of their lives.

it's just an instinct, dogs still have that bit of wild left in them- if it's going to happen, no sense in stopping it. please put them back - and keep them - together!!

eggman
07-11-2007, 04:32

QFT

This happens with cats quite a lot. My mother bred siamese cats when I was growing up and whilst they wouldn't actually consume the kittens whole like that dog did with the puppy, they would abondon it and starve it or they would smother the kitten or crush its throat in.

Reason was always explained to me by vets and other breeders this way. There are some kittens in a litter who are underdeveloped and/or have infections and other illnesses that can be passed onto the rest of the litter. In order to save the litter and even itself, the mother will eliminate the infected kitten.

Also, a mother cat may be weak itself and as such cull one or more kittens to protect itself during the heavy feeding period that will follow

FoxyKel
07-11-2007, 10:52
Maybe she's screwed up in the head from being called 'Gretchen' all her life.

veRGe
08-11-2007, 01:41
That is very strange.

DG
08-11-2007, 02:22
Awww how sad :(

I remember when one of my dogs had a puppy (yep, just one) she didnt have a clue what to do with it. Wouldnt break the sac, lick it or anything. When the puppy was coming out she got up and ran around the kitchen screaming...I had to hold her down and my guy pulled the baby out, broke the sac and cut the cord. It was scary! It took her a few days to even want to feed the baby...we would have to hold it against her nipple. I cant imagine what I would have done if she ate it!

Dtergent
08-11-2007, 21:39
That is a very fascinating story. I think if I had quadruplets I would eat two.

igotthatwork
08-11-2007, 21:47
Maybe she's screwed up in the head from being called 'Gretchen' all her life.

lol, that's a good possibility, my dad came up with that horrible name
(no disrespect meant if any BL names are gretchen, IMO its a terrible name for a dog)

abieda
10-11-2007, 05:25
It's her way of saying "I don't want to have any more puppies. Please spay me."

drugfukkdrockstar
10-11-2007, 05:59
holy shit, i just went outside and my dog was chewing on one of her 3 day old puppies! I was gonna take the pup away from her, but it was already dead. What's crazy is although it grossed me out, i couldn't look away... She slowly chewed it up bit by bit, ass first, and ate the whole damn thing. I could hear the bones cracking in her mouth. She is a 2 year old mutt with some lab in her named Gretchen. any ideas/suggestions?
WTF?????

I would suggest doing some research on breeding pups before your dog has another litter. You should have educated yourself first, then you wouldn't be freaking out over nature taking it's course.

The pup was most likely already dead before she ate it. It would have been the weaker of the litter and most likely fell ill from lack of feeding, or other illnesses.

Animals are different to us humans ... they don't stay with their babies if they are really sick. They get rid of them and worry about the healthy ones.

Maybe don't stand there and watch it next time. :\

KingConvenience
10-11-2007, 20:23
Maybe feed your dog some food?

[edited]

LiLc
10-11-2007, 23:00
It's there nature, the dog sensed that the pup was going to die or was terribly sick and sacraficed it for there benifit...

JV
14-11-2007, 19:08
Why Some Animals Eat Their Offspring

Andrea Thompson
LiveScience Staff Writer
LiveScience.com
2 hours, 10 minutes ago

Eating your offspring may sound unthinkable, but animals from fish to birds are known to do it. Scientists have been unsure why such a behavior would have evolved, but a new study sheds light on the factors that may drive some parents to eat their young.

Zoologists have observed filial cannibalism, the act of eating one's offspring, in many different types of animals, including bank voles, house finches, wolf spiders and many fish species. Paradoxically, all of the species also care for the young that they don't eat.

Scientists were hard-pressed to explain how such seemingly opposing behaviors could co-exist in the same species and reasoned that there must be some evolutionary benefit to the practice.

"If it doesn't confer some sort of benefit, you wouldn't expect it to have evolved," said the study's lead author Hope Klug, a graduate student at the University of Florida.

Previous studies have focused on the idea that parents might be eating their own eggs because they get an energy benefit from it and might be using it as a source of food when other sources were scarce. But studies of some fish that had their diets supplemented by researchers came back with mixed results: While some stopped eating their offspring, others didn't.

"It's not just about getting an easy meal," Klug said.

To test other possible motivations, Klug and colleague Michael Bonsall at the University of Oxford modeled different scenarios of "virtual organisms" with a computer, where filial cannibalism was introduced into populations of animals that cared for their young. The results of their study, funded by the Royal Society in England and the U.S. National Science Foundation, are detailed in the December issue of the journal The American Naturalist.

They found that several factors contributed to parents developing a taste for their own offspring. In some cases, cannibalizing their own young puts the same evolutionary pressure on the eggs that a predator would: the faster the eggs develop, the greater their chances of survival.

Cannibalism was also found to increase the parent's reproductive rate by apparently increasing mate attractiveness, though Klug says they're unsure as to why this might be. Some energy benefit to eating the eggs was also observed, but no one benefit alone accounted for the spread of filial cannibalism through the population.

"You can't explain filial cannibalism in all of these animals with just one benefit," Klug said.

Klug said filial cannibalism could be a way to root out offspring that take too long to mature and therefore require a little too much parental care—this strategy would conserve the parents' energy for subsequent, faster-developing batches of young.

"They initially overproduce offspring and then later remove some of the inferior offspring," Klug explained.

General competition within a species for resources may also limit parents to the amount of energy and time they can spend raising their young, so they force their eggs to grow up fast or get eaten.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20071114/sc_livescience/whysomeanimalseattheiroffspring

masonyoung
08-12-2008, 20:28
I'm going to bump this thread, not because our dog is 'eating her puppies' , but after 2 weeks, she has let one of the 6 just diminish...
We noticed on Friday (day 14 - this is a stage where our intervention is not necessary usually ((so I've read-this is our 1st litter with a dog)) as the 'bitch' tends to all the pups needs) but she has no interesrt in this particular pup. We looked up as much info as we could, and got Milk Replacement, and have been bottle feeding, and stimulating manually, took the little one to the Vet, who told us to just keep it warm, which it is still in with the littermates, they just push him out of the way at feeding time. But they all lay in a heap while sleeping. She will clean him, just won't nourish him. He's almost 1/2 their size now, and he's hangin on...I should say, these a Chihuahua pups. The sire is much smaller than our female, but the pups are huge...they are over 6 inches long and fat, they look like little bull dogs, which if I didn't know both Dogs I would say somebody else 'hit-it'...
If anyone has any 'helpful suggestions', I would appreciate any and all information. I have searched the net, but it seems any "qualified" people want $$$ before they will answer a question, and I have so many. The dialogue with the Vet yesterday helped, but I need as much reassurance as I can. The worst part of this for me is, we were going to keep a female, she had all males, which is from what I understand very unusual. Then since they were all males, we decided to keep a particular male, that looks just like his Mom, but in Black & White...of course, this is the one that is having the trouble...Like I said, I would welcome any information anyone might have...We started to call him Izzy...(Izzy OK?, Izzy gonna make it?) He's such a handsome little guy too..they all are. This is our first, and last litter. We don't want to be Breeders, but we wanted her to have Pups, as did our friends who have the male. I kind of wish we left well enough alone, but so it is...

Kilgore
08-12-2008, 22:02
Stress, loud music, not enough food, etc. I used to work in a lab at the VA where they couldn't get any live progeny from chimeric mice. The fuckers kept eating their babies.... and they figured out that it was because the person that cleaned their cages had a stereo playing in the room. We also had to wear full on body protection to keep the area clean.

After they banned the music from the room the pups were fine.

As for the outcast... take care of him yourself. That's my opinion but I don't know much about these situations.

"Yes she has abandoned this litter and you will need to get a feeding formula from your vet and feed them. Is it her first as this sometimes happens. I had this happen with my dogs first litter and she was great with the next. The vet told me to let nature take its course and let them die. I could not just let this happen, although it was hard work and lost two of the pups, the rest were fine. It will be your decision to decide what to do, but you will need to act fast to save them. Ash your vet why she may have done this, although sometimes mother nature is the only one who knows. Good luck."

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080729111315AAkhK4H

So based on that reply I would say take care of the pup yourself. Maybe try to get them all to interact later on but be careful. Don't let those fuckers start fighting.

Rogue Robot
08-12-2008, 23:33
I'm going to bump this thread, not because our dog is 'eating her puppies' , but after 2 weeks, she has let one of the 6 just diminish...
We noticed on Friday (day 14 - this is a stage where our intervention is not necessary usually ((so I've read-this is our 1st litter with a dog)) as the 'bitch' tends to all the pups needs) but she has no interesrt in this particular pup. We looked up as much info as we could, and got Milk Replacement, and have been bottle feeding, and stimulating manually, took the little one to the Vet, who told us to just keep it warm, which it is still in with the littermates, they just push him out of the way at feeding time. But they all lay in a heap while sleeping. She will clean him, just won't nourish him. He's almost 1/2 their size now, and he's hangin on...I should say, these a Chihuahua pups. The sire is much smaller than our female, but the pups are huge...they are over 6 inches long and fat, they look like little bull dogs, which if I didn't know both Dogs I would say somebody else 'hit-it'...
If anyone has any 'helpful suggestions', I would appreciate any and all information. I have searched the net, but it seems any "qualified" people want $$$ before they will answer a question, and I have so many. The dialogue with the Vet yesterday helped, but I need as much reassurance as I can. The worst part of this for me is, we were going to keep a female, she had all males, which is from what I understand very unusual. Then since they were all males, we decided to keep a particular male, that looks just like his Mom, but in Black & White...of course, this is the one that is having the trouble...Like I said, I would welcome any information anyone might have...We started to call him Izzy...(Izzy OK?, Izzy gonna make it?) He's such a handsome little guy too..they all are. This is our first, and last litter. We don't want to be Breeders, but we wanted her to have Pups, as did our friends who have the male. I kind of wish we left well enough alone, but so it is...

First question: do you leave the pups with their mother all of the time? If so, it's probably not wise to do this, especially if you have a pup that is struggling for food.

Milk replacement is a good start, but I would, if you're not already, break the litter down into smaller groups of 2-3 for feedings on the bitch. Put the one that's having trouble feeding with one of the stronger pups.

Chances are, the pup isn't going to catch up while they're still on milk, honestly. But if you're particularly worried about his health, take it to the vet. It happens sometimes.

I wouldn't say having a litter of all males is "rare". It happens, and it also depends on both sides of the sire and dam's pedigree.

NeoMeeko
09-12-2008, 00:45
WTF?????

Dogs can do this when a puppy is sick or has something else wrong with it. It's fucked up but it's pretty common. My Mom's dog suffocated her pup because it was sick. A friends dog did similar.

You may want to bring the momma dog to the vet just to make sure she's okay, but if her puppy was sick she may have killed it to spare its misery.

SweetSpot
09-12-2008, 00:48
Controversially im sure and at the risk of being callous I would say let nature take its course with this pup. Chances are there's a reason why the mother is neglecting it, and after such a poor start in life there's every chance that this will go on to be a sickly dog that spends half its life (not to mention the cost) at the vets. I'm sure many will say it deserves a chance and your intervention, but I take quite a practical approach to animal keeping and have often found that nature knows best.

masonyoung
09-12-2008, 03:03
Thank you all for your information. Since the onset of me noticing the deficient growth of the one pup, which was Saturday night-the 15th day since birth. The runt has become the largest, and the pup in question started out 2nd largest at birth, and has declined to runt. I'm happy to say, that he has started to make a comeback. i did start separating at feeding time, allowing him to get healthy start and fair share. We still are supplementing him with the replacement formula for good measure, and he is eating til he's content...They all pile up in a healthy bundle of fur together. I've read that this is the most important factor for them, to be littermates and form their personalities and socialization. They do get on well for this early stage, I guess they just want to be piggies and eat as much as they can, without regard for the others. But they just did open their eyes today...and have started 'wobble-walking' briefly...Ultimately, we only have about 5 weeks (give or take) til adoption, we will probably hold off til it becomes apparent they are ready to go...the Puppy in question, should he survive, is staying on with us...I always did root for the Underdog. We already registered them, he has to do well. thanks again.

-=ReD-hAzE=-
09-12-2008, 06:31
Edited: This kind of material is not wanted in SO. Thank you. ~spork

Or at least pictures of the ittle bebe puppies...

His Name Is Frank
14-12-2008, 21:37
It may be as simple as the pup in question was sick. Rather than risking infecting the others, she simply removed the sick pup from the equation. Dogs have a very hightened sense of smell and sickness does have an odor.

Or maybe she's just a bitch.

masonyoung
15-12-2008, 16:15
Over the past week, we've been bottle feeding with supplement, 2 visits to the Vet, and intervention at feeding time, to let the little guy in...He is almost as big now, as the smallest of the litter. I'm fascinated by these guys. The runt (and last born), is now the BMoC, and he has taken a liking to the (was) sick boy...They are back to being a big happy fraternity. When the Mom (bitch) hangs out with us, I'll go get him, and she lets him have a private session. I've been doing this as often as I can, and it's paying off...I think we're out of the woods, and it looks like he's going to survive. It's day 24...The Mom, has taken to feeding them standing up, and they are clamoring for food, which is getting them up and about. This is the stage that pays off the most...eyes are all open, they are starting to recognize us and wag their tails...they are getting frisky with each other...this is real entertainment now...I wish I knew how to upload pictures, I've got them on my PC, but can't upload (?? d-uh-technotard) I've e-mailed them to friends, but can't get them on here. Theres a shot of the 'sick-boy' that is awesome...I'm not sure if it's because they're our pups, but they are the most handsome buncha boys I've ever seen. Thanks again for all the positive input, it was reassuring to hear. If I find out how to upload these shots, I'll post em on here.

airforlife
16-12-2008, 01:16
that's gross i would have just removed the sick one and taken it to the vet...

but like other people said if you're not an expert breeder why let your dog have puppies?

His Name Is Frank
17-12-2008, 05:18
What kind of stupid question is that? Dogs have sex. Dogs have puppies. What was she supposed to do? Take it to the abortion clinic because she's not an expert breeder?

Yeah. How dare she let that dog have puppies! It's all her fault.

Although it is causing extreme pain to my hand, I am facepalming harder than I have ever done before.

Cyc
17-12-2008, 19:20
Since you caught her in the act, you could've hit her on the nose with rolled up newspaper. I heard that you can discipline dogs if you catch them doing something, but not after.

Doggy needs to learn that eating puppies is not acceptable under your roof. It's your dog, take control of its behavior.

LiquidMethod
17-12-2008, 19:58
Another reason why you can't fully trust a dog

airforlife
18-12-2008, 00:27
What kind of stupid question is that? Dogs have sex. Dogs have puppies. What was she supposed to do? Take it to the abortion clinic because she's not an expert breeder?

Yeah. How dare she let that dog have puppies! It's all her fault.

Although it is causing extreme pain to my hand, I am facepalming harder than I have ever done before.

Rightttttttt, stopping your dogs from procreating and contributing to pet overpopulation is something that is really out of control of the owner. You get your dog neutered or spayed, and if you're not into that thing, you at least don't let it have sex with another dog.

What kind of stupid analysis is that? I know where my dog is at all times and I know exactly what dogs it comes into contact for and how long. It's called being a responsible owner. The OP obviously didn't know what the hell was going on, so he's not an experienced breeder.

Any owner that lets his/her pets have sex and babies willy nilly is an idiot that is contributing to pet overpopulation.