PDA

View Full Version : Acid-base extraction of methcathinone

Jenerate
05-11-2007, 18:29
Will an acid-base extraction remove any benzaldeyhyde that is present as an impurity in methcathinone?

hugo24
05-11-2007, 18:42
Yes,benzaldehyde is neutral.Crystallisation of the HCl salt as well would put it in motherliquour.Not that it would be toxic...

nuke
05-08-2011, 07:03
If you're making it from benzaldehyde you're wasting your money, but I won't go further than that...

sekio
05-08-2011, 08:21
Benzaldehyde is an "apparent" decomposition product/synthesis impurity from what I have heard and read. Esp. via oxidative syntheses from ephedrines.

polymath
05-08-2011, 08:33
Benzaldehyde is oxidized to benzoic acid quite rapidly when in contact with air... Its not that dangerous of an impurity. A bigger cause of concern are the manganese compound impurities in mcat made by the permanganate method. However, manganese compounds are absorbed very poorly when snorted or ingested, so its only a problem when the product is taken intravenously(in which case it can cause parkinsonism).

About ten years ago I tried making about a gram of mcat myself(from pseudoephedrine). I hadn't had any college chemistry education back then, but apparently my synth worked, because when I added some baking soda to a water solution of my product, I could feel the strong sweet smell of freebase mcat...

Its kind of a crappy stimulant, not much better than caffeine or ephedrine. And when I tried it, it caused a really bad "stim-dick", impossible to get an erection and penis shrunken to ridiculously small size 8o. That was actually kind of funny...