• Bluelight
    Shrine

A memorial
    to Bluelighters
    who have passed away

R.I.P. bachus

junglejuice

Bluelight Crew
A few days ago, Big Nick, one of the most beloved and unique people in the DC scene passed away of a massive heart attack. He was 56. At the time of his death, Nick was attending the annual American Academy of Pediatrics conference, where he was being honored for his work. Nick joined BL in 1999, and was a constant fixture in the DC scene, where he joined his son in attending many raves such as Starscape, and threw psytrance parties with the Psychokinetics crew. Big Nick could always be found front and center on the dance floor, wearing bright day-glo colors and having the time of his life. Nick was a beloved part of the traditional Morris Dance scene in the area, where he was well known for his amazing concertina playing. He saw raves and electronic music as the next incarnation of such trancendental folk music, and embraced the future whole-heartedly. Even those that didn't know him couldn't help but smile at Nick as he danced in the crowd. He brought an amazing energy to every party he attended, and he will be sorely missed.

ROBERTSHAW NICK ROBERTSHAW "BIG NICK" On October 29, 2007, our dearest friend, husband and father "Big" Nick Robertshaw left us all and the world he loved so much. Terry, his adored wife of 30 short years, and Thomas, beloved son and cohort, cherish his life and their time with him. Together they built a beautiful garden home in the country. He was the ideal husband and father who shared his life fully with his loved ones. I think many of us are included in the group of loved ones. His love and passion for life was so big and buoyant it could carry us all when we were around him. His concertina was the heart of the whirling, foot stomping Morris dancing and his infectious singing made us all want to join in the song. Not to be content with one style of music he appreciated all and in day glow regalia joined his son in his passion for modern Electronica. He was an amazing wordsmith as well. Not just with his songs either, his words and wit had us at the edge of our seat until we realized too late that he was telling a joke. Professionally, Nick made many contributions to diverse fields. He consulted with the US federal government's Department of Housing and Urban Development on how to ensure that telephone and website communications with consumers were effective and swift. He also taught computer programming classes for the Internal Revenue Service and Morgan Stanley Bank. As a computer engineer, Nick built a mainframe computer that continues "to fly" with his name inside. He helped create the machinery that allows banks to sort US currency and remove bills that are too worn to continue in circulation. In the last few years of his life, he created a web-based scoring service for a short test, called 'Parents' Evaluation of Developmental Status,' widely used by pediatricians and other health care providers to detect children who have developmental and behavioral problems. Nick is also the co-author and graphic designer of another short measure, PEDS: Developmental Milestones. On the day of his death, the American Academy of Pediatrics paid tribute to his many contributions to the field of developmental-behavioral pediatrics. His many colleagues, co-workers, friends, and family mourn his loss and admire his wisdom, vision, kindness, humor, perspective, and his lovely spirit. Although here we can only scratch the surface of Nick, it is important that you understand one last thing. With an extraordinary passion for life he sought to understand and appreciate the intricacies of the world around him. He loved nature so much and was horrified by the history, politics, and reality of climate change. In lieu of flowers, please honor his life by donating money to the World Wildlife Fund's climate change program ( www.wwfus.org/globalwarming ). That being said Nick wouldn't want to leave on such a morose note. Please join his friends and family at Cafe 611 (N. Market St., Frederick) at 6 pm on Thursday November 8 for an evening of music and dancing in remembrance of our friend. "The terrible thing about dying is that you don't get to see how it all ends up." - Big Nick

bignick.jpg

Nick... we are going to miss you so much. You made all of us smile, and made us realize that people of all ages can understand the power of electronic music, and how dance is universal. You were a light in our lives, and so many of us looked forward to seeing you at parties. It just won't be the same without you.

I wish for you to have eternal rest, and for your family to be comforted in their time of need.

You were truly a special person. Thank you for being a part of our lives.

Last edited:
when JJ explained how you contributed so much to the DC electronica scene and how much you loved it, i saw it firsthand at Gaian Mind. you were always smiling and laughing, you were such a friendly person. i didn't talk to you too much but when i did, i enjoyed your presence. i wish i had sat down and gotten to know you better. i know that everytime i step on that dancefloor, you'll be dancing right along side me and every other person that knew you.

rest in enternal peace.

I need to take some time to find my words for Nick.

I'll post something later.

=(

oh no :( My thoughts are with his loved ones and extended bluelight family.

<3

I am so sorry to hear of this loss. Though I did not know Nick (I do remember meeting someone that resembled him at a past Starscape), he obviously made a tremendous impact on the community and on the world.

Go in peace, Nick - you will be missed. <3

Wow. I didn't know the extent of his participation in the DC scene, but I knew his posts on the board. What a shame. :(

R.I.P Bachus

Sorry to hear that another loved one of bluelight has past. My heart and my tears go out to the whole family. I know what you are going through,the wretched pain, and misery. I lost someone who I loved more than life itself, my 25yrs young GRANDSON (one year ago.) My thoughts and prayers will be with you, may he rest in PEACE.......Amen

Sounds like a great guy that will be missed. :(

RIP <3