Completed Ecstasy use and harm reduction

Psycho-Path

Bluelighter
Hi guys and girls,
I am trying to develop a harm reduction model for Ecstasy users. I would really appreciate if can dedicate 10 minutes of your time to answer a short questionnaire about Ecstasy. Anyone over the age of 18 years old, who used ecstasy at least once, is more than welcomed to participate in this study. The questionnaire can be found here: http://www.my3q.com/home2/183/rotembrayer/10902.phtml

If you have any questions, you are invited to mail me at [email protected]

Thanks much,
Rotem Brayer (Psycho-path)

Last edited by a moderator:
Also done.

Psycho-Path said:
I am trying to develop a harm reduction model for Ecstasy users

Will be interested to hear more about your model!

Your Q19 (where do you go for information about ecstasy) has some relationship to the questions in my survey about sources of drug information :)

You should explain your definition of "ecstacy"... Any pill sold as x? any pill w/ even trace amounts of MDMA or its relatives MDA MDE....

done.
very interesting results to say the least.
i'm actually surprised at the number of people that feel uncomfortable driving after they roll.

Done.

The results are really interesting.

Let us know how you harm reduction model goes.

phatass said:
You should explain your definition of "ecstacy"... Any pill sold as x? any pill w/ even trace amounts of MDMA or its relatives MDA MDE....

I have similar thoughts. Some of the questions posed were extremely vague or really open ended, it made it hard for me to answer some of them.

I did complete the survey though. :)

Not open to the public anymore? I wish to take the survey so if you'd reopen it I'd gladly take it.

-DP

i want to do it but it says "We're sorry but the paper is not open to public yet. Please come back again."

I recently got in touch with the OP, who completed this research as part of his Masters. He has sent me the unpublished paper and I've copied the abstract here:

Ecstasy is a popular recreational drug taken for its acute effects such as: increased sociability, feeling of euphoria and increased energy. While many studies refer to ecstasy and MDMA (3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine) as the same term, according to recent studies ecstasy does not necessarily contain MDMA. However, since MDMA was scheduled as an illegal drug in the United States and in many other countries, studies involved with MDMA in humans are being conducted with recreational ecstasy users.

Ecstasy is frequently taken in raves and in crowded clubs. Environmental conditions such as hot temperature and limited access to water increases the potential for acute complications.

Harm reduction refers to the employment of strategies aimed to prevent or reduce risky behaviors that may lead to destructive consequences associated with the use of ecstasy. While in its older form harm reduction tended to focus on reduction of harms such as transmission of HIV, Hepatitis C and other blood-borne diseases, this study focused on specific harm reduction strategies for ecstasy users.

The sample comprised 1,031 online participants with a history of ecstasy use. Subjects were asked about concerns regarding their drug use, harm reduction techniques they had employed while using ecstasy and sources they had used to get information about ecstasy. Subjects were aware of the potential harmful consequences of ecstasy, although this knowledge had not necessarily resulted in changes of risky behaviors.

This study claims that the gap between the knowledge of ecstasy users and their actual risky behavior may be reduced by government support in harm reduction strategies.

He is hoping to write the results into a peer reviewed publication in the future. %)