• [IMG]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/IMG]

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 54 75.0%

• Total voters

parre

Bluelighter
Fight Club - Oh My God! (Spoilers)

Okay. I just saw Fight Club for the first time. Pure and sheer brilliance. First part - regular violence movie. Second part - antimaterialistic philosophy spreading, how we get too caught up in ourselves and fancy cars. Third part - omfg. The questioning of what is real, what is a dream, what happens, delusions... great!
Okay, this description sucks. So, without distance to the movie and no deep analysis here's what I think might be the explanations:
1. It's all some sort of bad dream/psychotic episode. He's lost his mind and full on fantasizes up everything.
2. His split personality struggle alters between egos and he builds it all up as shown, in the end conquering his Tyler-personality, but still blowing up half of America.
3. Tyler is a person, and so is Marla. Together they drive him insane, into delusions, to have a scapegoat for their actions.
4. Everything is real and as presented.
5. Nothing is real, it's all just a dream of some sort.
6. He's dead all along.
Ehm, I'm sorry for this poorly written post and these pisspoor explanations. I've just seen it, and it's fucked up my thinking, I can't get my thoughts straight at the moment. If this post is bad, please delete it.

now you've seen it, go back and watch it again. and again. and again. ideally, you should watch it about 6-8 times and you'll still be thinking of different things.
the second time i watched it i thought that marla singer was indeed also a foil character for ed norton's character. for example, when marla starts going to the group sessions, is it the fact that this is edward norton realising himself as a foil? is it another part of himself that he accepts, then has internal conflict with? the three characters seemed to dance around each other throughout the movie, constantly flirting with the other's ideals and charecteristics.
in many ways the roles are reversed: tyler (brad pitt) is who the character really is, the previous persona is simply his self trapped by consumerism and boundaries. the film deals with the emancipation (or attempted emancipation) from this spiritual imprisonment. Or does it? ;)
i have thought before about the possibility of the whole thing being a figment of his imagination, because some of the things don't make enough sense. are the characters simply elements of his persona and imagination? i don't think of it in a dream-like manner though i think of it more as a psychological exploration.
3. Tyler is a person, and so is Marla. Together they drive him insane, into delusions, to have a scapegoat for their actions.
this is an interesting perspective that i haven't considered before. but that doesn't explain marla's taking them as the one person. if they were both real people they would be able to interact with eachother.
parre: i take it you noticed all the "pop-up" brad pitts before he appears on the moving walkway??? that is the elements of that character coming into the equation. one very noticeable one that often people miss out on is when they're in the testicular cancer group and the group leader says "i look around this room and i see a lot of courage". brad pitt appears for a split second with his arm around the leader and this is the line he later uses in fight club.

Originally posted by pac.man*:
now you've seen it, go back and watch it again. and again. and again. ideally, you should watch it about 6-8 times and you'll still be thinking of different things.
I started watching this movie back in 2000(?), when it was on pay-per-view (my room mate had a black box, that allowed you to see all the pay per view movies without paying). I would watch parts of it here and there, because I was always either going to work, getting off work, or going out... I would catch little bits here and there, though I only actually was able to sit down and watch it maybe once all the way through. The movie intruiged me, enough to go out and rent the video. I had to have watched that video 5 times in the 3 days I had it, and promptly bought a used copy for myself. Every time I watched it, I saw something new (like the flashes of Tyler standing behind the support group leader and in the hallway at the hospital, how all the sex noises stopped when Jack answered the phone), lots of little things that you didn't notice the last time you saw it.
Now that I own the special DVD, I still watch it every 6 months or so, just to remind me of all the things I learned from that movie... and to try and catch something new that I didn't notice the last time. ;)

i love how in the dvd commentary - for the first thirty minutes, pretty much all that brad pitt says is : "this movie's very dark"
and
"step into your cave"
these two moments are classic. i love how they countdown to the showings of tyler.

The book really explains it better, indirectly.. He is an insomniac to the point that he becomes a skitzo... Several times in the book it describes him sleeping a couple times a week, but it being very light almost awake.. this is because he is actually out as tyler durden, but his mind doesnt remember it duing the "edward norton" phase. Tyler Durden is a figure his imagination created that is everything Edward Norton wants to be, but isnt.
The book makes it clear that Marla is real, and is actually the only reason Edward Norton figures out Tyler is his alterego.
The ending in the movie is too open ended.. In the book he does not die along with tyler, as i was left guessing in the movie.. It is decieving as in the last chapter the character describes meeting God and his angel's and living in heaven, but it actually turns out to be a mental institution.. Its revered as heaven cuz the character can finally rest, therefore ending his insomnia, therefore ending his delusions, therefore ending tyler.
In short, read the book.
[ 06 November 2002: Message edited by: silverfucked ]

If you start comparing the movie to the book your going to confuse people. There were many differences between the two.
If I recall, the ending in the book and the ending in the movie were two different worlds... the book was supposed to end in a mass suicide with all the members IN the building that blew up,... Marla saved him by bringing all his "group" people to appeal to him, he ended up in an asylum.
The movie ended with a master plan to destroy credit histories and create chaos... with no members of th fight club/project mayhem lost... and very open-ended, as someone stated before.

Based solely on this thread I decided to watch Fight Club again, not having seen it since it first came out. It was as much fun the second time. And my boyfriend who's never seen it loved it. We are still at a loss for how best to react to the movie. It is disturbing to say the least. But, one cannot help feel a certain kinship with those in the club. That's what makes it so disturbing.

Lava, you just liked it because it had Brad Pitt in it ;)
I had to watch this movie twice before I figured out what in the world was going on.
I'm still not sure I totally get it.
Either way, its brilliant!

^^^^^I watch that movie a bear minimum of once a month, usually a lot more, and sometimes I question wether or not even I understand what's going on.
Chuck P.- Amazing and visionary author
David Fincher- Amazing and visionary director
Edward Norton & Brad Pitt- Amazing and visionary actors
Meatloaf Aday- Amazing and visionary butt-rocker
Helena Bonham Carter- Amazing and visionary British hussy who does an amazing and visionary American accent
Fight Club- The most amazing and visionary movie of all time

Originally posted by Web:

If I recall, the ending in the book and the ending in the movie were two different worlds... the book was supposed to end in a mass suicide with all the members IN the building that blew up,... Marla saved him by bringing all his "group" people to appeal to him, he ended up in an asylum.

Actually Marla didn't save him, she would have died to if tyler had made the c4 right. He used parffin wax and as "Jack" says that has never worked for me. :) Basicly jack saved himself, I guess he didn't really want to die since Tyler knew everything hrdid, you'd think he'd know not to use wax for the c4.

I loved how tyler 'flashed' in a couple of scenes during the movie, if you have the dvd pay attention when he's at the doctor trying to get sleeping pills, right around when the doctor says "pain" tyler flashes in for a split second. It happens again later when either he or marla is walking down the street.
What I didn't get is all the journals he's reading like "i am jack's liver, i ..." were those written by him or by tyler?
for_sho

^^^^^ There's four scene's that he pops up in, plus he's visable when all the guys in white say "Welcome!" right after the "thanks a mint" shot.
For the record, Chuck P, the books author, prefers the movies ending to the books...

Originally posted by Frosty da snowman:

Actually Marla didn't save him, she would have died to if tyler had made the c4 right.

Thanks for the reminder... it's been a long time since I've read that book. But, she STILL did show up with people from the groups, right? Or am I just a little insane?

The thing that i still dont get with fight club is near the end part
you know where edward norton says:
"Tyler, i want you to listen to me very carefully.... My eyes are open."
and then he shoots himself... can anyone explain this to me???

Originally posted by Web:

Thanks for the reminder... it's been a long time since I've read that book. But, she STILL did show up with people from the groups, right? Or am I just a little insane?

Yup, she shows up with the peeps from the group. If i remmber right he decideds(sp) that he wants to live then thinks it's to late the bombs going to go off, and then it dosn't

Originally posted by Space_dolphin:
The thing that i still dont get with fight club is near the end part
you know where edward norton says:
"Tyler, i want you to listen to me very carefully.... My eyes are open."
and then he shoots himself... can anyone explain this to me???

Through the whole thing Tyler was telling him he was asleep. He finally realized and took Tyler as a part of him self so his eyes were open because he didn't need Tyler anymore, he could be the person he wanted to be.

Originally posted by for_sho:
What I didn't get is all the journals he's reading like "i am jack's liver, i ..." were those written by him or by tyler?
for_sho

They were equivalent of 1950's National Geographics.. They had a whole stack of them in the squat they lived in, so thats what he read to entertain himself. In the digests, theyd do a story on a specific body part, and let the organ talk in first person. Like I am jack's pancreas, I make insulin or Im jill's clitoris etc. Thruout the movie/book he refers to that saying, I'm jacks..(whatever).

Fight Club

I searched and couldent believe there wasnt a thread for this movie. It is by far my favorite movie. I can say it is the only piece of art that changed my life. I love the satiracle dialouge in the first half of the movie and the sheer mayhem towards the end. As you can tell I love this movie I even have quotes from it painted on the blinds n my room. What do yall think discuss.

This is your life and its ending one moment at a time

I can't believe there isn't a thread either, but of course I'm too lazy to look. Easaily one of my top 5 films ever. I saw this opening night with my dad. Such a good father/son bonding film...