• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Indonesian court upholds death penalty for drug offenses

erosion

Bluelight Crew
The Constitutional Court of Indonesia upheld the death penalty for serious drug offenses Tuesday, dimming hopes of a reprieve for three Australians facing execution for trying to smuggle heroin off the resort island of Bali.

Lawyers for the three men, members of a group of Australians convicted of drug offenses known as the Bali Nine, had hoped a successful constitutional challenge would add weight to their final appeal to the Supreme Court, which had previously escalated their sentence from life imprisonment to death. Should that appeal fail, their last available avenue would be a direct plea to Indonesia's president.

The Constitutional Court ruled 6 to 3 that a 2000 constitutional amendment upholding the right to life did not apply to capital punishment. The court added that the right to life had to be balanced against the rights of victims of drug trafficking.

Lawyers representing the three Australians and two Indonesians also facing capital punishment for drug offenses filed the challenge with the Constitutional Court last January. Three other Australians on death row here had hoped that a constitutional ruling might lead to a review of their case.

Three other Australians are serving between 20 years and life for their involvement in the smuggling ring. The so-called Bali Nine were arrested in 2005 for trying to smuggle 8.2 kilograms, or 18 pounds, of heroin into Australia from Bali.

The death penalty is not an uncommon punishment for drug trafficking in Southeast Asian countries like Indonesia, Singapore and Malaysia. At the beginning of this year, 134 people, including 34 foreigners, were on death row in Indonesia, the vast majority for drug-related crimes, according to government statistics. In 2004, two Thai citizens were executed in Indonesia on drug charges.

The Australian government, a staunch opponent of capital punishment, has usually pleaded for clemency for its citizens facing execution abroad.

Last year, Prime Minister John Howard and Foreign Minister Alexander Downer appealed to the Singaporean government in the case of a Melbourne resident, Nguyen Tuong Van, who was eventually put to death for smuggling heroin.

Recently, Downer said that if the Constitutional Court did not rule in the Australians' favor and final appeals were rejected, he would approach the Indonesian president, Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono.

Yudhoyono, however, has shown no sign of wavering on the death penalty. Earlier this year, despite an international outcry, he went ahead with the executions of three Christians convicted of inciting religious violence on the island of Sulawesi. Numerous members of the president's cabinet have also voiced support for the death penalty.

Although few expected the Constitutional Court to abolish capital punishment altogether, opponents of the death penalty were hoping for a ruling that might lead to a review of all pending death penalty cases, including those of the three men found guilty in the 2002 bombings in Bali that left 202 people dead. The three have exhausted their appeals and are to go before a firing squad in the coming month.

Rudi Satrio, a legal expert at the University of Indonesia, who had filed a brief to the court recommending a 10-year waiting period for executions in case new evidence should come to light, said he was not surprised by the court's decision, considering Indonesia's tough stance on drug offenses.

"Narcotics are a big problem here, I am not surprised at the court's decision," Satrio said. "But maybe if a challenge is brought in the future to the Constitutional Court about the death penalty in general, not just in terms of drug offenses, maybe we will see some change. And any change at all would force the lower courts to review all death penalty cases."

Indonesian court upholds death penalty for drug offenses
International Herald Tribune
October 30, 2007

Link

That's very fucked up.

I don't even get why people would even try to use drugs in those countries or smuggle drugs out of SE Asian countries that have very strict policies on drugs to where if you get caught you get the death penalty or a lifetime in prison!

I've also heard that in certain countries if you test positive for drugs with a drug test you can also wind up in prison for life this way too!

I've also heard that in those countries that they're really strict on drugs but they're not strict on children who are sold into sex slavery and rich pederasts from around the world go there for the sick purpose of that!

Last edited:
damn in all honesty I thought the bali 9 were already sentenced and done...

ptch - that fact, that people still do it despite potential death sentences, just clearly shows that these types of laws are pointless and will not work. Even with death penalties people still move product - why can't people just wise up to the fact that the illicit drug industry will not go away through criminalization, the best control they could have would be legalization + regulation.

That sucks, I don't even think you get death for something like that in the zealous middle-eastern countries.

fuck death bu firing squad what a backward fucking country. Personaly I think the dying would be preferable to life in prison there.

^How about explaining why you feel that way?

It's really hard to have faith in anything much in this world when I read news stories like these, which is why I tend to not read newspapers nor watch the evening news. It's a tremendous physiological burden on me to read this type of stuff.

bingalpaws said:
ptch - that fact, that people still do it despite potential death sentences, just clearly shows that these types of laws are pointless and will not work. Even with death penalties people still move product - why can't people just wise up to the fact that the illicit drug industry will not go away through criminalization, the best control they could have would be legalization + regulation.

QFT. these types of cases are the perfect illustration as why punitive drug laws do not work. even in countries where the laws are most punative (ie, death for drug dealing), there are still people willing to deal drugs. nothing will change the fact that people want to get high, and somebody will be willing to supply the drugs.

Edvard Munch said:
It's really hard to have faith in anything much in this world when I read news stories like these, which is why I tend to not read newspapers nor watch the evening news. It's a tremendous physiological burden on me to read this type of stuff.

I don't feel anything when I read this stuff anymore. Its kind of sad, but I'm completely numb to reading the news now. I approach it on a completely analytical level. That, or laugh at it =D

Last edited:
Naturally being close the Bali 9 gets alot of play here. My island is linked directly with Indonesia by ferry so we hear about it alot. The thing is, when I hear of these folks I wonder what the hell they were thinking? Did they not research the ramifications?

Personal use amounts there is an automatic 5 years but if you can prove addiction it is lopped down to 3 months . However woe to anyone getting a second conviction. If you are a foreigner though it will not be an issue because you will be booted and barred.

Sales or more than user amounts is automatic death.

However, my country of residence, the Philippines, is literally the worst of all countries in terms of Drug Laws. 10 grams of poppy seeds is automatic death. The good news is they converted to Lethal Injection not too long ago. I am not a fan of firing squads. User amounts , of which only trace amounts qualify, as in half smoked joints, etc., are an automatic 12 years, no parole and if if you think American prisons are bad, you have not seen anything.

But, as they say, if you play you pay.

Priest: "Why do they use there?": Thing is, Indonesia is flooded with pu-taw, very inexpensive (less than 50 US cents for 100 mgs.) #2 heroin. It is ALL AROUND.

Go to Jakarta, to the train station as the countryboys come into town and see junkies booting up ontop of the train, on corners,etc. Cops are down but if you are white and cannot pay the STEEP price, you die.

The Bali 9 though were trying to mule more than 8 kilos of #4 into Australia. Interdiction on Bali is monstrous. If there I would not buy a thing, quite different than Jakarta. It is a different world anyway, being Hindu in a very Islamic Nation. The whole attitude over there is anal. Setups by motordops,etc.

Buy a tab of MDMA for 10 US from your driver and as soon as you get to your destination you get popped in alot of cases.

Here in this nation, I am fortunate in that the only real substance on the market si Shabu (VERY pure methamphetamine hcl in smokable crystals, think super pure Ice). I hate stimulants so I am immune luckily.

To sate my habit (opiates) I have also been fortunate to find a compliant MD to write me for Demerol injectable and oral morphine sulphate (12000 mgs per month on the morphine), besides having taken care of the problem before I ever moved here.

Had I not, who knows what might have happened? I took an incredible risk when detoxing off of methadone (160 mgs., 17 years of 160 to 220, Cold Turkey), I ordered 75 dried pods from the US. It was stupid all around, as I actually could have waited a week or so and had my own (having took measures to secure a supply) but when sick...In any event, those dried pods would have been automatic death.

So, people use for many reasons, it is cheap, it is abundant, they are addicts and are forced by circumstances to be here as in not on holiday.

"Testing positive can get you life." Not so, at all. Countries that DO test, like Singapore, Brunei, and Malaysia do so at points of entry to scraggly looking foreigners or for arrest suspects but otherwise it is not a problem.

They offer you the test in Malaysia, if you refuse you get 14 days hard time (not like America) and then booted and barred if foreign. I do not quite know what else would happen to a citizen...but then that nation canes people according to their Muslim majority (although they do not use Sharia as a rationale).

If you think they are not strict on child sex you are VERY wrong. In fact the locals often get quite upset seeing even a very old man with a legal woman who is young. They see it as if they are being taken advantage of and of course they are.

Phrozen: Many nations in the Mid-East DO have death: Arabia, Iran (even though it is a joke , only very poor get it), Yemen, among others. What I always find interesting is the people who mule stuff into Arabia, those Friday afternoon lopping off of heads in viallge squares does not phase people.

To give any government the power to kill any citizen is dangerous, facistic, and short sighted to say the least....

The only way we can hope to change this situation is to stop spending money in Indonesia, Singapore, and other places with (more) draconian laws. (than we have)

Most Aussies are so apathetic, fat & rich that we wouldn't even think of taking a stand about an important issue...

:)

rachamim, Thank you for the insight into the Philippines. I am amazed that you manage to abuse opiates under those conditions. It must be pretty frightening sometimes. I can't even imagine. Your story is actually very interesting to many on the board. If you ever have time, you should write a longer piece on what its like to have an opiate addiction in the Philippines. I know I'm not the only one who would love to read more.

n4k33n said:
f you ever have time, you should write a longer piece on what its like to have an opiate addiction in the Philippines. I know I'm not the only one who would love to read more.

ditto

I enjoyed reading what your wrote

3: I am all for the Death Penalty, just not as America practices it and just not for issues revolving around ilicit substances.

To others: Thanks for the kind words.

rachamim said:
3: I am all for the Death Penalty, just not as America practices it and just not for issues revolving around ilicit substances.
or around any consensual or victimless crimes?

No question their laws are fucked up, but how typical of westerners to go in and try to change a CONSTITUTION of that country becuase they do not like their sentences.

I find it hard to beleive in those countries a drug related offence could mean automatic death, yet the bali bombers have been on trial for how long?

Makes no sense.