• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

San Francisco opens up safe-injection room

jorder1010 said:
the gov't should just make pure heroin and coke to sell to the addicts. it would be a lot safer 8)

a move like this shows that a) the govt knows its policy of arresting addicts is shitty b) there are things the gov't can do to decrease the problems related to hard drug use (by regulating the usage, giving free syringes).

what better way to regulate the problems of hard drugs than to make them legal and have places for addicts to shoot up?

personally, i hate the idea of hard drugs being legal like that (and i dont think the gov't like it either). sure, it will save lives, but it is also not good for society to have rampant hard drug use. this is one step closer to this and its not good.
Clearly making/selling the stuff legally would be a much better situation, but s you said in your second paragraph, they'd have to know their policy of arresting addicts is shitty - that won't happen. Even in this article a woman said:
"The underlying philosophy is, 'We accept drug addiction, we accept the state of affairs as acceptable,'" Madras said. "This is a form of giving up."

Also I should point out that the laws on pot don't really stop people from smoking it, and the laws on harder, more addictive drugs like crack/heroin are almost completely ignored. I don't think you're gonna see a bunch of pot heads shooting up heroin just because it became legal - most people don't really care about the laws on drugs (well, don't get me wrong, they care as in they'd prefer for their activities to be legal, but I think most people would be hard pressed to recall a scenario where someone declined to get high/trip/roll/etc with their friends because of the law..)

birdie said:
Why is "hard" drug use bad for society? Most of the problems related to "hards" drugs are worsened by prohibition, and some are even caused by it. If "hard" drugs were legal, those problems associated with them would start to shrink, some disappearing. Anyway, why are so-called "soft" drugs, like cannabis for example, okay, but not "hard" drug like heroin? Last I checked, heroin wasn't any more physically or mentally damaging than cannabis. Yet many people will fight hard for cannabis legalization, claiming (rightfully so) that the government and the media spread lies and propaganda about it, but when it comes to "hard" drugs like heroin, they believe the same crap their fighting against. You say that the thought that "hard" drugs may one day be legal is not good for society, but what's not good for society is prohibition.

Sorry for going of on a little rant, but I just get tired of saying that one drug is okay to use, usually because they use said drug, and should be legalized, but drugs they don't like are evil and should be illegal. Not saying that's what jorder1010 necessarily said, but I just felt like venting.
your bolded sentence applies to all illegal drugs, not just hard ones.

I'm seconding that, I get pretty annoyed seeing people think pot's all good and should be legal while heroin or coke should not be. The bottom line is that there's people who can't handle heroin / coke responsibly, but it's naive to think there aren't people who can smoke pot / drink booze irresponsibly. The laws should seek to punish people who do irresponsible things while on drugs (stealing/fighting/driving/rape/etc), not punish people who use responsibly. I've said it before and I'll say it again - punishing a responsible adult for engaging in their chosen behavior w/o bothering anyone, a 'victimless crime' so to speak, is legislating morality. If you want to huff paint, drink a handle of vodka, or shoot up speedballs all night, I do not care. If you crash your car into someone or break into my house, or are being *intoxicated* and disorderly in public, that's another thing. But the only reason anyone can be mad you're doing drugs by yourself in your own house would be that they disagree with the choice. We know this because nobody gives a shit if you smoke 2 packs of marlboros and drink a handle of vodka every night, but if you swapped pot for the marbs and crack for the vodka, suddenly you're looking at pretty hefty time.

I'm sorry for going off on you Mariposa. This is an issue that I feel very strongly about. When I originally posted that I didn't realize that you weren't against safe injection sites, you were just against the government funding them.

I wrote that post under the misassumption that you didn't want any safe injection sites. I agree that it would probably be a lot better if it was privately funded. But in America today, the only way a thing like this would work would be if it was affiliated with the government in some way. There are laws against "drug houses," places where people get high. If it was a government entity they wouldn't prosecute themselves, but they'd still have to worry about the state and federal government busting them.

It really upsets me that current drug policy is based solely on dogma and lies. Decades of social research has shown over and over again that criminalization of drugs spawns evils far worse than the original issue of drug use itself. Drug use and addiction is a public health problem, not a criminal problem. If all drugs were legalized we could have an open dialogue on how to best prevent addiction and help addicts quit. In Hamburg, Germany, heroin is legally provided to addicts by the government. This was done in safe-injection clinics. The crime rate dropped precipitously, I think around 80%. Then many of the addicts ended up quitting. That's why I think safe-injection sites are good: because they're proven to work and addicts end up voluntarily quitting.

bingalpaws said:
your bolded sentence applies to all illegal drugs, not just hard ones.
Oh, definitely. The reason I only mentioned hard drugs is because the poster I replied to singled them out.

Finally! I mean, yes you want people to stop using opiates, but do you let them die before they make their own mind up to stop? The Canadians have had this for some time and it's all over Europe. If you go then your at least in contact with people who can help. In the meantime, clean needles so no nasty viruses and if you OD then they slap you full of nalorphine. I think last year the Canadian ones had 52 overdoses but not a single death...

we need places like this everywhere for people like jasoncrest, i am once removed from him if you know what i mean.

chicpoena said:
Are your tax dollars REALLY worth more going into a railway system instead of a program that will save hundreds of people's lives? How much is a human life worth to you? By labeling someone an addict you can dehumanize them. We're talking about people who are addicted. They have a medical problem and are physically dependent on a drug.

I believe that human life is priceless and that it shouldn't be an issue to spend money on saving people's lives. How much is a human life worth to you Mariposa? How much of your tax dollars would it be ok to spend to save someone from an overdose? None?

I've got to say that I'm quite shocked at your cold and callous view on this issue. Especially for someone volunteering her time at a harm reduction website.

You should read the article by Benedickt Fischer titled Drugs, Communities and "Harm Reduction" in Germany: The New Relevance of "Public Health" Principles in Local Responses. Journal of Public Health Policy, Vol. 16, No. 4. (1995), pp. 389-411.

It will probably change your mind when you see how much money is saved through reduced deaths, ambulance calls, hospital visits, etc. For me, saving lives is enough but maybe seeing how much money is saved will change your mind as well.

Alright. I saw your subsequent post, and there is no reason to apologize to me for stating an opinion that disagrees with mine. You definitely had me pegged wrong on the money issue, though. Would I rather have a valuable, well-intentioned resource than a fancy building? Absofuckinglutely. Would I rather have a building that provides a supportive residence for individuals and families to reside and thrive in a safe environment than use that same building as a place for addicts to have a temporary respite from shooting up in an alley? Who wouldn't?

I'll tell you a little story about my city.

In my city, there is a neighborhood called the Tenderloin. The Tenderloin is home to the majority of IV-drug related activity in my city. The Tenderloin is full of a lot of other things, like really fun restaurants serving inexpensive, excellent food from every place you can imagine. But what it is known for is crime and much, if not most, of this crime is drug-related. Efforts to "clean it up" have proven pretty fucking useless - crime hasn't gone down, people are still going hungry, and needles still line the streets.

See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Care_Not_Cash

The Tenderloin is where it is proposed such a facility be built. On one hand, this will make it easy for users to gain access to resources that can help them. On another hand, it will make it easier for users to gain access to connections for not only more drugs, but a sanctioned place to use them. Those are not exactly disincentives to using. It is possible to provide IV drug users with safe equipment and education without providing rooms in which to use. Also, we on Bluelight can examine this from a logical perspective based on the premise of harm reduction. Those who do not have the benefit of computers and information who are concentrated on getting their next fix don't have the resources we do.

I place value on ALL life - yes, including drug users' lives. I'm far from removed from the reality that drugs will be used. But I am still not inclined to believe that this is the solution. We have a very good needle exchange program in SF - and I see more benefits to expanding what we already have than to build a facility such as the one suggested. Guess how awesome our needle exchange is? Our needle exchange provides many things - not the least of which is a set of educational seminars for users, prescriptions for Narcan (biggest direct example of a lifesaver of all), treatment of absesses/other IV-related injuries, and the best resource of all - nonjudgmental volunteers and counselors who undergo continuous training in safe injection practices and referrals to resources for help.

Regarding the legalization of all drugs - I have mixed emotions. I don't think simple possession of a personal amount of a drug should be a criminal offense. I do think high-level dealing should be. I'm not sure that legalization would even eliminate the black market. If you want to smoke marijuana legally in California, you're put in a statewide registry. The pot you get costs MORE than street prices, and it's taxed. If someone is scrounging for their next meal, it's unlikely they'll be able to afford to buy dope this way. So the black market will almost assuredly continue - and all the crime that comes with it. As uncomfortable as the thought may be, there are many addicts who engage in robberies, theft, and other acts that harm all of society in order to support their habit. I doubt I'd feel much sympathy for someone who broke into my house and either threatened me, anyone in my home, or my property to get money to buy drugs. Do you have any idea of the cost of living in San Francisco? It sure does hurt to write that rent check every month - we're at about 177% of the national average. 75%+ of us rent, because we can't afford to buy. In California, we pay a ton of state tax in addition to our federal income tax. Seeing 1/3 of your paycheck disappear tends to bring out an interest in where it's going.

I absolutely, unconditionally support the needle exchange program in SF - to the point where I was at one time on a waiting list to volunteer for them, and when they called, I was studying for a big exam and dealing with personal issues so I could not give of my time that way. I'm still busy, but maybe I should make the time. Thanks for reminding me that harm reduction is not just education and personal philosophy - perhaps I can be of better service to the mission if I take a more active role in my own community.

We're having a very big problem (and have had for a long time) with users of IV drugs scoring and using in our very own Golden Gate Park. Why not take these folks off the street and empower them with educational and job resources so that they have something to be proud of rather than providing them with a little temporary room in which to use? That doesn't mean forcing anyone into any programs. It means creating a culture in which personal responsibility (note I did not say sobriety) is rewarded and opportunity is given to those who need it most. And I mean opportunity to work, feed your family and yourself, to educate yourself and your children - not opportunity to go to what will probably not end up being a safe haven to continue a habit with a huge social cost, most of all. If it requires being abstinent from drugs to put a roof over your head, we have to accept that we do not live in a Utopia and that while we can provide resources to help, we should not provide what essentially amounts to incentives to continue using and the desperate behaviors that go along with it for many users.

And I don't have an easy answer for how to do that - the public policy mavens are doing a piss-poor job. See here for an article I read recently that addresses how even attempts to get low or no income San Franciscans safe housing and resources has resulted in such charming things as extortion, loan sharking, prostitution, and drug dealing. It's hard to find a safe place here, because the places that are supposed to be safe havens for people that want to better themselves are located in the neighborhoods that make that all but impossible and run by inept policy mongers on paper and exploitative criminals in practice.

There has to be a happy medium here. I think the closest we'll get is to fund organizations that are proven to save lives (such as the needle exchange) and a more deliberate effort at educating our citizens, not just about how to shoot safely, but how to live consciously and value their own lives through job opportunities, education, child care, and treatment for the medical and social (not legal) problem of IV drug addiction. I never argued for taking addicts off the streets and throwing them into prison. Talk about a way to fuck up someone's chances at a job and an apartment. Give them clean rigs, education, and a plan that gives hope for a viable future. Not a room in which to feed desperation, all sanitized by the presence of nurses and counselors on the inside but which fails to address the ugliness outside. What happens when the user leaves?

I hope this now clarifies both the issues my city is facing and opens a discussion on how we can best address them.

To address one last point (I have rambled enough!) I do want to point out that I know of no study nor any evidence that indicates that the use of marijuana is as deadly or destructive as the use of IV drugs. I make no moral judgments either way. Nonetheless, I have yet to hear of the ambulance being called in response to a marijuana overdose. I don't know of any cases in which someone caught HIV or hepatitis from smoking weed. I don't know of any circumstances in which someone prostituted themselves for weed. All of these problems occur with frequency among IV drug users who lack access to education and clean equipment.

chicpoena - Do you have a link to the study you refer to in your last post? I didn't take anything you posted personally. I don't practice harm reduction through a blanket-tolerance policy for dangerous behavior. I would like to read the study if you will provide me the opportunity to do so.

Where the want to build that in the Tenderloin is a very mean, nasty and dirty place.
They have never even been able to build public restroom there, good luck trying to build a clean place to shoot dope. Some people a beyond help and the Tenderloin is full of them.
Might be a good idea but I don’t see it working in that place.

Regarding the legalization of all drugs - I have mixed emotions. I don't think simple possession of a personal amount of a drug should be a criminal offense. I do think high-level dealing should be. I'm not sure that legalization would even eliminate the black market. If you want to smoke marijuana legally in California, you're put in a statewide registry. The pot you get costs MORE than street prices, and it's taxed. If someone is scrounging for their next meal, it's unlikely they'll be able to afford to buy dope this way. So the black market will almost assuredly continue - and all the crime that comes with it. As uncomfortable as the thought may be, there are many addicts who engage in robberies, theft, and other acts that harm all of society in order to support their habit. I doubt I'd feel much sympathy for someone who broke into my house and either threatened me, anyone in my home, or my property to get money to buy drugs. Do you have any idea of the cost of living in San Francisco? It sure does hurt to write that rent check every month - we're at about 177% of the national average. 75%+ of us rent, because we can't afford to buy. In California, we pay a ton of state tax in addition to our federal income tax. Seeing 1/3 of your paycheck disappear tends to bring out an interest in where it's going.

The marijuana policy in CA is no where close to what true legalization would achieve. It is still illegal, on a federal level, to use, you still need a script, and there is no true competition involved with the "legal" marijuana trade. All of those aspects, among others, artificially inflates marijuana's price. A better model, which is also not perfect, would be the one they currently have in Amsterdam. Also, one could see how prohibition affected alcohol's price before and after. In conclusion, the price of marijuana in CA is artificially inflated. It would be dirt cheap if it were truly legalized.

So you're against the injection room even if it was not funded by the gov't?

phrozen said:
The marijuana policy in CA is no where close to what true legalization would achieve. It is still illegal, on a federal level, to use, you still need a script, and there is no true competition involved with the "legal" marijuana trade. All of those aspects, among others, artificially inflates marijuana's price. A better model, which is also not perfect, would be the one they currently have in Amsterdam. Also, one could see how prohibition affected alcohol's price before and after. In conclusion, the price of marijuana in CA is artificially inflated. It would be dirt cheap if it were truly legalized.

So you're against the injection room even if it was not funded by the gov't?

All good points, phrozen, although it is important to note that marijuana possession (even without a prescription) is not exactly high on the priority list of the SFPD. This is a really old article, but this is consistent with my understanding:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/09/12/POT.TMP

There's still plenty of street competition - I know my GP wouldn't write me a script for weed, this is probably the case for most San Franciscans. Those who use legally are taxed. I won't get into pricing, but it's cheaper even for those who use legally to buy weed on the street, pre-tax.

By your reasoning with respect to an open market, people will still pay a premium for quality and shit for schwag. People will still be paranoid (and rightfully so) to have their name on a list of individuals who use marijuana for medicinal purposes, as the initiative that allows dispensaries to dispense marijuana to patients remains in contrast with federal law and policy.

I don't think anyone will argue against the fact that Prohibition didn't work. Prohibition was a Constitutional amendment that criminalized the use of alcohol and it was repealed in large part because of the black market that was created. In the case of heroin, cocaine, meth, and anything else one might commonly IV in one of the proposed "shooting centers" exist, at present, solely, in the context of a black market. This is why I am split on the issue of legalization. Legalizing "hard drugs" would eliminate criminal prosecution with respect to simple possession. I certainly don't believe that someone with a baggie of tar for personal use ought to be thrown in jail over it - that's a horrendous waste of tax dollars. But the desperation associated with IV drug addiction and its culture has been demonstrated over and over again to coexist with violent crime.

One can buy whatever music they want. But why do so many websites exist through which one can download music "illegally"? Many of the servers that power them exist because of private funding.

I still don't know anyone who caught HIV/hepatitis/got an abscess from pot use. Alcohol abuse is a huge social problem and is also correlated with crime. Prohibition was a shitty idea and was repealed. Turning recreational drug users into criminals (further ruining their lives) and clogging up our jails/prisons is completely asinine.

In direct answer to your last question, I could not in good conscience support a privately funded shooting center because I strongly and with good reason believe that it would create a larger problem than it would solve, and I believe that a user who wants to use safely can do so utilizing resources already in existence (our needle exchange, by way of example). At least with the needle exchange, users of IV drugs are exchanging dirty needles, etc. for clean equipment. There aren't as many needles on our streets for our pets, our children, or ourselves to be put at risk over. That's great. The factor that criminal activity could reasonably be expected to occur near or around a facility that provides users with a private booth to shoot up in cannot be swept under the guise of "all drugs should be legalized and that would solve everything".

Should we all have a safe haven to indulge in our habit of choice? Is this some divine right that I missed the memo regarding? Should vouchers for hotel rooms be given to sexually active persons along with free condoms?

I think it's a better idea not to sanction vice, but treat any kind of potentially harmful behavior with the most effective thing of all - education.

Lastly, the "Amsterdam model" to which you refer is quickly dying. When I was last in Amsterdam (2001) I observed more than once (in broad daylight) the police using force against people who were dealing hard drugs in the RLD. The smoke shops and smart shops were (pointedly) left alone because (at the time) they did not contribute in any material way toward harm or crime.

We do not live in a Utopian ideal. We live in cities, towns, and other municipalities that are materially harmed by crime. IV drug users are a significant population who perpetuate that crime. Will opening a "safe use" center in the middle of the Tenderloin reduce harm to the majority of citizens who do not use IV drugs? My opinion is a firm NO.

mariposa, you said exactly what i meant to but couldnt find the right words.

i dont want to get off topic because this thread isnt exactly a hard/soft drug debate, but it kind of is in a way, so i will respond to birdie's post(s): ive done a lot of drugs, but the only one i think should be legal is marijuana. why? because there is virtually no one who says "marijuana ruined my life" and truly mean that in every sense. i'm not saying that you hear that all the time from former hard drug users, but it is FAR more frequent than with marijuana smokers.

personally, i dont think our gov't should condone (and thus support) something that has ruined lives. its horrible enough to see an old drunkard just hanging out in the bar for the rest of his life, nevermind watching heroin addicts nod out in some room. at least with bars the drug is legal...its hypocritical to make a substance illegal but have a place so they can commit a crime (yes, shooting up is a crime) with that drug so it can be used 'safely.'

btw, im not trying to bash anyone or any drug at all. im just saying, if you need to build a place for ppl to do drugs 'safely' it kinda means that those drugs should not really be legal. with weed, there is no risk of life threatening diseases, etc. which are the reason for building a place like this in the first place.

jorder1010 said:
mariposa, you said exactly what i meant to but couldnt find the right words.

i dont want to get off topic because this thread isnt exactly a hard/soft drug debate, but it kind of is in a way, so i will respond to birdie's post(s): ive done a lot of drugs, but the only one i think should be legal is marijuana. why? because there is virtually no one who says "marijuana ruined my life" and truly mean that in every sense. i'm not saying that you hear that all the time from former hard drug users, but it is FAR more frequent than with marijuana smokers.

personally, i dont think our gov't should condone (and thus support) something that has ruined lives. its horrible enough to see an old drunkard just hanging out in the bar for the rest of his life, nevermind watching heroin addicts nod out in some room. at least with bars the drug is legal...its hypocritical to make a substance illegal but have a place so they can commit a crime (yes, shooting up is a crime) with that drug so it can be used 'safely.'

btw, im not trying to bash anyone or any drug at all. im just saying, if you need to build a place for ppl to do drugs 'safely' it kinda means that those drugs should not really be legal. with weed, there is no risk of life threatening diseases, etc. which are the reason for building a place like this in the first place.
The thing is, lots of the problems associated with drugs are a direct result of prohibition. Prohibition and the "war on drugs" creates the things it's supposedly supposed to be fighting against. If drugs like heroin were legal, then you wouldn't need safe injection sites. Legal heroin would be pure, so people would be able to measure a correct dose, not to mention people would be educated on dangerous drug combos and tolerance, therefore ODs would drop substantially. I believe that prohibition hurts heroin more than any other drug. Heroin itself isn't anymore physically or mentally damaging then marijuana.

As for people not meaning that marijuana has ruined there lives, there are plenty people who do believe that. There are also successful heroin users, they are just less likely to be open about their drugs use than someone that uses marijuana because of social stigmas. As bingalpaws pointed out, sure there are people who can't use hard drugs like heroin responsibly, but there are also people who can't use marijuana responsibly.

birdie said:
I believe that prohibition hurts heroin more than any other drug. Heroin itself isn't anymore physically or mentally damaging then marijuana.
good post, that statement is all I can even take issue with. I'd say heroin, in an average user, is more damaging to the user than pot is to its average user.

However, I'm still for full legalization of it and know that people have, do, and will continue to use it responsibly. Just like alcohol, there will be those who cannot handle themselves/the drug. This is going to happen with all drugs, from the softest of the soft to the hardest of the hard. The bottom line, the main thing at the end of the day, is that it's inherently wrong to tell a responsible adult what they can and cannot do - so long as they're not hurting anyone.

<jorder, I get where you're coming from with the whole 'I tried it myself, but I'd like to make it inaccessible for others since it's a harder one'. You've gotta remember that others have used just like you, and instead of saying that turned around and said 'damn, I just used half a bag and it's about the same as eating like 7 percocets, and I didn't even have to consume the acetaminophen! Sweet!' They use, enjoy it, and then maybe use sometime again. The bottom line though is that if you make it illegal, not only are you going to have the problems of hassling those who want to use responsibly, but you're not even going to achieve your goal of helping those cannot - prohibition/criminalization cannot attempt to help true addicts nearly as much as education/prevention. The former approach of criminalization hurts the responsible users as well as the addicts, whereas the latter helps both - either way, no matter how you handle yourself with the hard stuff, education/prevention benefits you more than criminalization (oh yeah, let's not forget it also helps out society as a whole through reduced drug related crime and saved tax dollars)>

Well, the Vancouver facility has apparently shown results, and there are similar programs in Europe as well that are acknowledged as successful. I think the quote in this article basically stating that while it may go against mine and most others' better sense, it is quite likely that in a few years the evidence will show that this thing is working. If nothing more, it is quite remarkable that a progressive idea such as this is happening in America, even if it is in Frisco.

But the desperation associated with IV drug addiction and its culture has been demonstrated over and over again to coexist with violent crime.

That lifestyle is due to the high cost of the drug, which is due to its illegality. People can function while being addicted to IV drugs just fine. IV heroin is given out legally in several countries. It's given out in Vancouver and it is(was?) given out in Switzerland. Based on those studies, the vast majority of the participants stopped committing crimes, stabilized their doses, gained employment and housing, and eventually started getting off the drug. IV use does not inherently cause desperation and crime; those things are attributed to their legality as crime is used to support the habit.
Of course legalization would not get rid of all crime, as can be seen with alcohol, but it will drastically reduce it.

Should we all have a safe haven to indulge in our habit of choice? Is this some divine right that I missed the memo regarding? Should vouchers for hotel rooms be given to sexually active persons along with free condoms?

No, we are not entitled to gov't assistance to carry out our habits. But, I believe that the gov't has no right to tell me what I can and cannot put in my body. They fucked that part up, they greatly increased the dangers of using these drugs, and they're directly causing the suffering of millions of people due to their drug laws. So, I'm willing to let slide such programs that are funded by the gov't.
How much could this possibly cost? $5million over 5 years? That's nothing compared to the billions that is spent by our gov't on other things that a lot of us don't agree with.
If we're all for cutting unneeded gov't assistance, I think we should prioritize things. An injection room would not be at the top of that list.

In direct answer to your last question, I could not in good conscience support a privately funded shooting center because I strongly and with good reason believe that it would create a larger problem than it would solve, and I believe that a user who wants to use safely can do so utilizing resources already in existence (our needle exchange, by way of example). At least with the needle exchange, users of IV drugs are exchanging dirty needles, etc. for clean equipment. There aren't as many needles on our streets for our pets, our children, or ourselves to be put at risk over. That's great.

The thing is, all the research looking into safe injection rooms shows that it does not cause any extra problems. It actually helps people out, and I'm not just talking about reversing OD's.

The factor that criminal activity could reasonably be expected to occur near or around a facility that provides users with a private booth to shoot up in cannot be swept under the guise of "all drugs should be legalized and that would solve everything".

That's an issue with a lot of things. Methadone clinics get hell for trying to start up in certain neighborhoods. Half-way houses and needle exchanges also receive the same negative attention. But ultimately, they do a lot more good...

I don't think this is a good idea...

I support the notion that free choice should allow anyone who wants to use drugs to do so. The government should have no part in it.

This goes both ways, the government shouldn't help or hurt drug addicts.

garuda said:
Government run yes, private sector or charity supported no.
I just don't see why its the responsibility of government to provide places to use recreational drugs.

This schizophrenic approach troubles me, either drugs are illegal or not. We're getting into drugs are illegal, unless you're an "addict" then they're not. Thats ridiculous, if we've come so far as to provide needles and shooting galleries can we just legalize already?

^^^^ EXACTLY and thank you.

There's a world of difference between being opposed to drug prohibition on general civil liberties principles, and actually wanting public money spent to support the habit of a self-destructive few, when there are so many places where it is desperately needed for services that support many more.

Mariposa's public transit example is prime. MUNI is a disgrace. There are so many places where it's desperately in need of expansion or improvement it's absurd... ESPECIALLY considering how vital it is to so many of the city's population. I would happily give up every publicly-funded harm reduction program San Francisco has, has ever had, or ever will have; if it meant we could get a transit system equivalent to Tokyo's, or even New York's.

And private organizations WOULD indeed pick up the slack, if... and here's the rub... if the government would stop interfering.

Case in point, there were several years there when I was volunteering for DanceSafe. If you were part of the Bay Area's rave scene between 2000-2004, you probably saw me working a booth about every other weekend. When the government sleazily tacked the provisions of the RAVE act onto the Amber Alert bill, the number of events at which we were allowed to staff a booth dropped like a rock... by at least two thirds almost overnight. There was a general terror that having DanceSafe at your party was a tacit admission that drugs were there, and therefore an instant ticket to federal prison. A few promoters who were our most ardent supporters kept inviting us, but pill testing became strictly verboten. And even that support dwindled to the point that there's hardly a DanceSafe chapter in the SF Bay Area at all anymore.... just a few people left to support the website and literature.

I know this post makes me sound like some kind of screwball right-wing libertarian type. And that makes me feel a little dirty. In most places, my own politics fall somewhere between the Greens and Democrats. But I've seen first hand how government interference hinders instead of helps harm reduction efforts. And at some point people DO have to take responsibility for having their own shit together and using the resources that are available, instead of expecting the government ot mollycoddle them.

And when it comes to public, taxpayer-derived money.... Like Mariposa I pay a LOT of taxes, so I think I have the right to bitch when it's thrown away tilting at windmills like this. I DO support a strong government providing services that DO serve the common good. But... oh god I'm going to reveal myself as a nerd here... as the vulcans say on Star Trek: "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.".

And good public transit benefits many Many MANY more people than a taxpayer-subsidized heroin den.

cya,
john

garuda said:
Thats ridiculous, if we've come so far as to provide needles and shooting galleries can we just legalize already?
SERIOUSLY!!! If I'm a responsible adult and want to do some heroin after a long work week, I'm a criminal who could end up in a cage for years. If I'm so helplessly irresponsible with my usage I basically get a free pass. What message does that send, go hard or go home!?