Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Five Myths About Crack

phr

Ex-Bluelighter
Five Myths About Crack
By Craig Reinarman
The Washington Post

Before they decide a crack-related case on sentencing guidelines, the Justices should get their crack facts straight.

Should judges have the discretion to depart from sentencing guidelines if they lead to unjust results? The Supreme Court wrestled with this question last week during oral arguments in Kimbrough v. U.S., a crack-related case.

At the peak of the panic over crack cocaine in the mid-1980s, Congress passed a rash of laws requiring longer prison sentences. One such law created a 100-to-1 disparity between crack and cocaine offenses; you'd have to get caught with 500 grams of powder cocaine -- but only 5 grams of crack cocaine -- to get a mandatory minimum sentence of five years.

Crack is often used in impoverished inner cities, and police focus surveillance there. The result has been racially discriminatory sentencing that has packed prisons with African-Americans. Many state and district court judges agree that the disparity is unfair, and only 13 of the 50 states still make a legal distinction between crack and cocaine.

It will take acrobatic feats of legal reasoning for the Supreme Court to reconcile the clashing principles in this case: Respect for congressional intent (harsh sentences); upholding uniformity of justice (similar punishments for similar crimes); and affording judges the discretion they need to perform their constitutional role (make the punishment fit the crime).

The high court's task would be easier if it recognized that the 20-year-old crack laws are based on at least five myths.

1. Crack is different than cocaine.

When the crack scare began in the mid-1980s, politicians and the media outdid each other with horror stories about this new chemical bogeyman. They spoke as if crack were a completely different drug than cocaine. That is a pharmacological fallacy.

Crack is simply the base form of cocaine hydrochloride powder, which is heated into a solid rock and smoked. Cocaine is crack that is snorted in powder form. The only difference is that smoking delivers more cocaine to the brain faster -- just as vodka will get you drunk faster than wine. Smoking crack is merely a more intense way to ingest the drug. Even the director of the National Institute of Drug Abuse testified in 2006 that the "pharmacological effects of cocaine are the same, regardless of whether it is in the form of cocaine hydrochloride [powder] or crack cocaine the base."

2. Crack is instantly and inevitably addicting.

Officials justified the new laws by claiming that crack was "the most addictive substance ever known." Experts and ex-addicts agree that crack cocaine produces a powerful rush and is easy to abuse. Many users have binged on it compulsively and done themselves serious harm.

Yet the great majority of people who try crack do not continue to use it. For 20 years, the government's National Survey on Drug Use and Health has found that about 80 percent of those who have ever tried crack had not used it in the past year. And a recent study in the Journal of the American Medical Association showed that crack cocaine is not significantly more addictive than powder cocaine.

3. The "plague" of crack use spread quickly into all sectors of society.

This never happened. Whatever its allure, crack use never spread very far into suburban high schools, college campuses or the working and middle classes. Crack use remains concentrated among a small slice of the most vulnerable part of the population: marginalized poor people.

When this mode of ingesting cocaine first appeared among wealthy Wall Streeters, professional athletes, rock stars and Hollywood types, it was called "freebasing." When some of them got into trouble doing it, treatment programs were expanded. But when people in ghettos and barrios did the same thing, it led to calls for harsher prison sentences.

4. Crack is the direct cause of violent crime.

Politicians repeatedly cited the association between crack and crime to justify Draconian new laws. It is true that many crack abusers have committed crimes. At first, everyone assumed that this crack-crime connection stemmed from the addict's craving for crack's potent high. But it turns out that the link is more complex. Studies of New York City police records funded by the Department of Justice showed that factors such as unemployment, poverty, hugely profitable illicit drug markets and the easy availability of firearms contributed to most "crack-related homicides." What's more, crack use has persisted at nearly the prevalence of 20 years ago, but violent crime has declined dramatically for a decade.

5. Harsh sentences for crack are necessary to deter "serious" and "major traffickers."

This was what Congress claimed when it passed the laws, but it defined "serious" trafficking as 5 grams -- less than one-sixth of an ounce. U.S. Sentencing Commission figures have long shown that more than three-fourths of those snagged are merely users and low-level sellers caught with tiny amounts. And they are overwhelmingly African-Americans. Perversely, small-time sellers serve prison sentences up to five times longer than the cocaine powder dealers caught with the same weight -- and who may well have supplied them.

These laws have helped increase the number of drug offenders in U.S. prisons ninefold, from about 50,000 when Ronald Reagan took office in 1981 to more than 450,000 today. They have helped give the U.S. the highest rate of incarceration in the world. This costs American taxpayers billions each year -- but it has never made much of a dent in our most serious drug problems. We cannot incarcerate our way to a "drug-free society."

Craig Reinarman, a professor of sociology at the University of California at Santa Cruz, is co-author of "Crack In America: Demon Drugs and Social Justice.

Link!

Good post man....Logical peeps know this but good to see it gettin spread to those who dont know, hopefully the bullshit-ass laws about crack can get changed in places where they aint already. its so wrong n its plain as day what its accomplishing, who knows if that was originally the plan or not but whether crack is from the CIA or born from the streets of camden NJ then to washington hts like ive heard, it still keeps people in the ghetto down n out. any attention that this issue can get in a non sensational logical way is a good step towards levelin out the disparities between rocks n powder n thats how it should be.

Three times I have seen race mentioned. Not for statistical reasons, but of course to provoke sympathy for the "poor black man caught smoking crack".

_Oh fucking please_. I say give harsher penalties for crack cocaine users and distributors.

center said:
Three times I have seen race mentioned. Not for statistical reasons, but of course to provoke sympathy for the "poor black man caught smoking crack".

_Oh fucking please_. I say give harsher penalties for crack cocaine users and distributors.

im not sure if this is a troll or not but......

what is your reasoning for crack penalties being at a 100x lower threshold than for powder cocaine?

It's not my reasoning that's made the laws. It's a dangerous drug that I particularly don't like, and I could care less about the people who do or what they want.

No. I'm not a troll. Are you?

no im not a troll, and i didnt mean to offend you. but your comment seems very different from the dominant views held by people on this board.

as for my opinion on the subject, i think the 100 to 1 difference in powder VS crack coke is completely rediculous. i dont blame racism as the overt motication for this law. i blame the sensationalist media (ie. "new killer drug, 100 times stonger than cocaine!") and politicions who saw an easy way to pick up votes (ie, being "tough on crime") as the reason such laws got into place.

but, in the face of the facts, i think its way past time to change this. freebase cocaine and cocaine ydrochloride are the same drug, and sentances should reflect that.

Except cocaine hydrochloride is used medically, where as crack cocaine is form of cocaine processed specifically for abuse. I've never heard of any legitimate uses for crack, have you?

NIGGAZ U GOT IT ALL WRONG U NEED TO MSOKE ROCKS BUT U SMOKING THE WRONG KIND!!!!

GO SMOKE A DEEM ROCK U STUPID CRACK HEAD. ask the shamans they know wassup with the deemsters :) (DMT)

roflfuckingcopter

center said:
Except cocaine hydrochloride is used medically, where as crack cocaine is form of cocaine processed specifically for abuse. I've never heard of any legitimate uses for crack, have you?

What on earth could its medical use as a topical anesthetic have to do with increased penalties for people who are obviously not using it to numb their eyes before they perform surgery on themselves?

Crack and cocaine are both being used as recreational drugs. They are in fact the exact same thing if I'm not mistaken. The only difference is the method of administration. It'd be like making people who smoke meth spend more time in jail than those who snort it.

This is besides the obvious problem of drug prohibition in the first place obviously.

center said:
There are people who use crack responsibly just like every other drug. It wasn't made "specifically for abuse", it was made for money. Crack cocaine is STILL COCAINE.

4. Crack is the direct cause of violent crime.

Politicians repeatedly cited the association between crack and crime to justify Draconian new laws. It is true that many crack abusers have committed crimes. At first, everyone assumed that this crack-crime connection stemmed from the addict's craving for crack's potent high. But it turns out that the link is more complex. Studies of New York City police records funded by the Department of Justice showed that factors such as unemployment, poverty, hugely profitable illicit drug markets and the easy availability of firearms contributed to most "crack-related homicides." What's more, crack use has persisted at nearly the prevalence of 20 years ago, but violent crime has declined dramatically for a decade.
crime actually goes up during the crackdowns
The Canadian Medical Association Journal published research on the impact of a police crackdown on a public illicit drug market in the Downtown Eastside (DTES) section of Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. The researchers found that:
"Our results probably explain reports of increased injection drug use, drug-related crime and other public-order concerns in neighbourhoods where activities related to illicit drug use and the sex trade emerged or intensified in the wake of the crackdown. Such displacement has profound public-health implications if it "normalizes" injection drug use among previously unexposed at-risk youth. Furthermore, since difficulty in obtaining syringes has been shown to be a significant factor in promoting syringe sharing among IDUs in Vancouver, displacement away from sources of sterile syringes may increase the rates of bloodborne diseases. Escalated police presence may also explain the observed reduction in willingness to use a safer injection facility.33 It is unlikely that the lack of benefit of the crackdown was due to insufficient police resources. Larger crackdowns in the United States, which often involved helicopters to supplement foot and car patrols, have not had measurable benefits and have instead been associated with substantial health and social harms."

Source: Wood, Evan, Patricia M. Spittal, Will Small, Thomas Kerr, Kathy Li, Robert S. Hogg, Mark W. Tyndall, Julio S.G. Montaner, Martin T. Schechter, "Displacement of Canada's Largest Public Illicit Drug Market In Response To A Police Crackdown," Canadian Medical Association Journal, May 11, 2004: 170(10), pp. 1554-1555.

Broshious said:
What on earth could its medical use as a topical anesthetic have to do with increased penalties for people who are obviously not using it to numb their eyes before they perform surgery on themselves?

Crack and cocaine are both being used as recreational drugs. They are in fact the exact same thing if I'm not mistaken. The only difference is the method of administration. It'd be like making people who smoke meth spend more time in jail than those who snort it.

This is besides the obvious problem of drug prohibition in the first place obviously.

lol @ that.....yea its jus like when cops weigh the paper instead of the potency of dose....same with Vs....but yea crack is bad.....although i know a few responsible crack users :) LOL (im not lieing also)

center said:
It's not my reasoning that's made the laws. It's a dangerous drug that I particularly don't like, and I could care less about the people who do or what they want.

No. I'm not a troll. Are you?

So, thats a reason for you to think people should get harsher penalties? Becuz YOU dont care about THEM? So...Whats your drug of choice? Do you think its reasonable for someone to support harsher penalties for the drug you like to do, becuz they dont care about you? That aint even logic, its jus some whimsical-ass shit with no base in sense. Its a dangerous drug that you dont like. All drugs are dangerous. crack aint no more dangerous than heroin, powder coke, or meth.

Thas possibly the most ridiculous short sighted crap ive read on this site all day, and theres always plenty of it. Congratulations. Hey im in the mood to laugh, do you feel like givin us any more reasoning about why your personal likes and dislikes should determine drug policy? :)

delta_9 said:
There are people who use crack responsibly just like every other drug. It wasn't made "specifically for abuse", it was made for money. Crack cocaine is STILL COCAINE.

HA HA HA

delta_9 said:
There are people who use crack responsibly

Oh . . . . my . . . . . .can't . . . .stop . . . laughing

I used crack on and off and never had a problem with the stuff. So do most people i know. Ive not noticed any real difference in the amount of people that get addicted to smoking crack then snorting coke.

The only difference between crack and cocaine is that ones a base the others in hcl form and you smoke one and snort the other. So why should there be different sentences for the exact same drug? Doesn't make abit of fucking sense.

Alot of crack users just buy powder cocaine and rock it up themselves anyway so it's just a bullshit law.

Broshious said:
They're 'almost' the same thing... crack is cocaine base, and the powder is cocaine in hydrochloride salt form. Otherwise, they're indeed the same thing. The only reason why crack delivers more of a rush is smoking... anything absorbed from the lungs goes directly into the bloodstream, so crack-smoking is more similar to IV cocaine use than it is to snorting.

P.S. fwiw anyone with an overblown hatred of crack is probably hiding a prejudice against african-americans, IME...

MDPVagrant said:
P.S. fwiw anyone with an overblown hatred of crack is probably hiding a prejudice against african-americans, IME...

Lot's of white crack users as well. Im white and i preferred crack any day over snorting coke it's a quicker rush. Most white coke users i know (everybody around here) have smoked crack alot as well. There is no stigma of crack in my area there both treated and looked upon the same.

Ive smoked crack lot's of times around black people who just stuck to snorting the stuff. I think the whole crack stigma is mostly a US thing although i have seen abit of it in toronto. Not much though.

phrozen said:
...crack [is] "the most addictive substance ever known."

erm... that's nicotine, isn't it?

Yet the great majority of people who try crack do not continue to use it. For 20 years, the government's National Survey on Drug Use and Health has found that about 80 percent of those who have ever tried crack had not used it in the past year.

I can certainly believe that. I know a lot of people that have tried it, but not continued to use it. Probably more than most other drugs!