• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

US Claims Mission Accomplished in War on Drugs

IcarusRisen

Bluelighter
US claims success in war on drugs

The top US drugs official has said anti-drug efforts are having the best results of the past 20 years.

John Walters, head of the Office of National Drug Control Policy, said cocaine shortages had led to a jump in prices in 37 American cities.

Efforts on both sides of the Mexican border have disrupted the flow of all drugs into the US, Mr Walters said.

But he said it had not yet been proven if the results could be sustained over the long term.

Mexican traffickers extradited

Mr Walters was speaking as the US and Mexico work out the details of an aid plan - expected to total $1bn - for Mexico to help combat drug cartels.

About 90% of the cocaine entering the US comes through Mexico.

"What's happened for the first time in two decades is we now see widespread reports of cocaine shortages in the United States," Mr Walters said.

Thirty-seven cities had reported "the lack of the ability to receive wholesale amounts, kilo amounts, of cocaine in the quantities previously supplied at prices previously charged", he said.

As a result of the drop in supply, the price of cocaine had increased by 24% and nearly doubled in some cities.

The drugs tsar credited Mexican President Felipe Calderon for some of the success.

He said US investigators had been working closely with Mexican authorities in their fight against the drug cartels.

Since Mr Calderon took office in December he has sent 25,000 soldiers and police to Mexican provinces plagued by drug violence and it seems to be working, says the BBC's Duncan Kennedy in Mexico City.

Several high-profile Mexican traffickers have been extradited to the US in recent months.

Mr Walters also said that fewer American workers were showing positive on drug tests and that there were fewer cocaine-related hospital admissions.

The real challenge, he said, would be maintaining the results over the long term.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7025308.stm

Mission accomplished ? *thinks* now where have i heard that before ?

*Bursts out laughing*

LOL yep mission accomplished picks up quarter sack of dank. And coke still costs the same as it always has here.

wtf, so a rise in the price of cocaine in "several major cities" equates to success for the most monumental failure in our current legal system? i wonder if the DEA agents even believe the bullshit they say to the public.

in my area, cocaine is as easily available and cheaper than ever.

your title threw me, I read the whole thing looking for an actual quote from teh drug czar saying mission accomplished, as that would in effect be saying no more need for the 'drug war'. Nice misleading headline!

I love it... these fucking idiots actually think they can win the war on drugs by taking out Mexican drug kingpins.

There are a hundred million guys in line waiting to take their place, dumbasses. The only way to win the war on drugs is to make people stop wanting them (not gonna happen) or legalize, tax, and regulate. But that would take too much common sense.

the way john walters and the ONDCP manipulate drug use statistics is ridiculous. it's hilarious how they try to make it seem like they're winning though.

the war on drugs is a massive FAILURE.

Like someone else said(tobala, maybe?) they could use stats to argue over aid. If the stats are good, they'll say they need more money to continue the trend. If they're bad, they'll say they don't have enough funding... They got it pretty damn good. What politician is going to cut anti-drug funding? That'll be political suicide.

bagera tomorrow said:
They're probably snorting all that confiscated blow to celebrate their "success"
Lord knows most of us would... I'd probably be so fucked by that point I'd be snorting off my desk when I thought nobody was looking.

So does this mean that mean that we have brought freedom and democracy to drugs?!??!?!? 8o

Wait...maybe I'm getting these "wars" confused. I can't remember who we are supposed to bringing freedom to, getting rid of or cracking down on these days... :p

Since we are "warring" against an emotion, several countries, imaginary people, self-engineered enemies, our own citizens and plant products, I kind of forget what propaganda I'm supposed to be believing. %)

they need to worry about the war in IRAQ . i hate Bush more than a roll hangover.

HA HA HA!!!!

Yes indeed, Phrozen. Six months from now the drug war liars will again be pointing to the Statistical Sine Wave, only this time it will show cocaine use increasing because it will have become cheaper (again), and holy hell they need more money (again) to fight this new threat to national security and our children...

In Fall 2008, they will cut and paste the lies being spewed today (again), etc. etc.

Good points, SmokingMan. If you get confused, just stick your head in the sand... ;)

Last edited:
tobala said:
Yes indeed, Phrozen. Six months from now the drug war liars will again be pointing to the Statistical Sine Wave, only this time it will show cocaine use increasing because it will have become cheaper (again), and holy hell they need more money (again) to fight this new threat to national security and our children...

In Fall 2008, they will cut and paste the lies being spewed today (again), etc. etc.

That is correct. Problem....reaction....solution.

tobala said:
Good points, SmokingMan. If you get confused, just stick your head in the sand... ;)

I do believe they prefer to have the populace with their heads in the sand. It makes their jobs of selling lies so much easier when no one cares enough to even pay attention to the Matrix we are caught it.
Confuse them and they'll give up.

I have a suspicion that the US gov is downselling cocaine in order to help increase the market for opium and heroin. Strangely enough, Afghanistan has set another record for poppy production for the second year running under occupation by US forces.

haha they should walk through baltimore and try to say that they are winning anything. we have over 100 open air drug markets, i guess middle america is supposed to believe this one?

Damn! I didn't think there were many open air drug markets in america at all!! NAIVE!

DRUG WAR CALCULUS #2 (AKA What Goes Up Must Come Down and Up and Down and Up and Down)

y = |sin x|

Where:

y = street price of cocaine

x = fraction of national budget allocated to "drug war"