• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Pre-Employment Drugtest (Hair!)

GQ Raver

Bluelighter
Okay, I was reasonably suprised when I showed up to my pre-employment drug test and they showed me a pair of scissors instead of a pee-cup. Thats right! Hair test!
Well, I was expecting to pass a urine test with flying colors since the only drug I have used within that last 6 months is marijuana, and that was only about 5 times. Plus, I havn't used any drug within the last 2 months.
But, hair tests can detect single marijuana use within the last 3 months right? So I am guessing that my drug test is gonna come back positive for cannabis.
What is the likelyhood of detection? Does it matter that I'm an infrequent user and have only used it once or twice in the last 3 months? Would sitting in a hot-boxed car (but not smoking anything myself) deposit enough smoke in my hair for a false-positive? If the test does come back positive, can I fight it? Can I ask for a urine test?

I don't know the answer your looking for, but it's pretty much irrelevent anyway. You already took the test....just hope that you pass. And if you fail a hair test, I *GUARENTEE* you they will not offer you a piss test, you already failed a drug test, why give you another chance? Just eat some Valium, sit back, relax, and hope you passed.

There was another thread about this sometime in the last week. Check history I think there were several responses. If I remember correctly they can pretty much tell what you have done forever. Sorry, I know that isn't what you wanted to hear. I know for sure that pot from 2 months ago will show even if you only smoked a couple of times.

You = fucked
Someone had a REALLY good drug testing FAQ, itwould be nice to have that link...
------------------
PAK CHOOIE UNF! Do not trust the pusher robot, he is malfunctioning, we are here to protect you..

You could try to fight the hair test. It is biased against people with dark skin or so I hear so if you are black or hispanic or what have u, u might have a case

Sorry, if they find amphetamines in your hair then you can't play the race card.. but believe me, I know... it's just another one of the MANY things the WHITE MAN does to keep us brothas down!
------------------
PAK CHOOIE UNF! Do not trust the pusher robot, he is malfunctioning, we are here to protect you..

pre-employment drug testing is really fucked up. oh well. we need to make a list of all the companies that do that crap, so we know where NOT to apply to work at. heh
wink.gif
. I just sent in an application to blockbuster (hey, i'm a hopeless college kid, no time for a full-fledged job. plus i'll get free movies) but that was just today. i hope they don't give me a drug test cause last friday i smoked a little pot and i didn't even get high.. so if that crap would show up, that'd be ironic, would it not? i'm thinkin tho since i didn't get that high == not a lot of THC == if i drink plenty of water then i'll prolly be good.

I used to work at blockbuster, they didn't drug test.
Hair tests for pre-employment? That's messed up. What type of company was this?

See I worked at Blockbuster during my freshman year in college (about 5 years ago) and they snipped some hair for a drug test. Course that was way before my partying days began...
Check erowid-they have some pretty good stats on the accuracy of hair tests vs. urine tests
smile.gif

There are a number of articles in there that talk about it... someone had a REALLY LONG FAQ that went into great detail about EXACTLY how it worked, not sure where that is...
------------------

Just in case you were wondering, I applied to work at one of the St. Regis hotels. They are a sub-division of Starwood hotels. Starwood also owns 4 or 5 other hotel brands.
If anyone could find that FAQ on hair testing it would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah, hotels always drug test. I know people that have applied at other hotel chains and they always were tested.

from http://www.erowid.org/psychoactives/testing/testing_faq.shtml :
"(BlockBuster Video uses the most up-to-date equipment, and passing such a test can be difficult). It takes several months of precleansing to beat the tests given by Psychemedics."
damn. of all the places i had to apply, they are selectively mentioned in a drug testing FAQ on erowid. yes again, damn. if pot get's me.. damn it all to hell, i don't even like pot that much.

shit.. i just realized earlier this month [the 4th] i also took some E... so there's my amphetamine. okai, whoever got tested a blockbuster, did they cut the hair at the base or just a couple inches at the tip? or did they pull the whole thing out? if they cut from the tip, i'm not gonna get my hair cut .. if it's the whole strand, i'm thinkin i'll get it cut so there's less hair, so less to worry about. fuck. i really hope the don't test me....
if i get a positive on the hair test, could i request a urine test, cause i'd pass that with flying colors.... ah my haunting past.
after some searching with thsi window open i found this about Psychemedics, the company that does it: It works like this: About 50 hairs, the width of a pencil point, are cut from near an employee's scalp and are shipped to a laboratory in Culver City, Calif. There, they are washed and liquefied, then tested for specific drugs. Psychemedics tests the 1 1/2 inches closest to the scalp, representing the most recent three months of growth.
so, i'm thinkin, get a real short haircut?
damn again. i really hope my other job inquerries come through so i don't have to go through that.
anyone know how long amphetamines are in the hair?
[This message has been edited by dpp (edited 31 May 2001).]