Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Amsterdam mayor proposes three-day wait for magic mushrooms

fruitfly

Bluelight Crew
Amsterdam mayor proposes three-day wait for magic mushrooms
AFP
Tue Sep 11, 2007

A new proposal from the mayor of Amsterdam is sure to be considered a bummer by certain visitors to the Dutch city: a three-day waiting period to buy hallucinogenic mushrooms.

Mayor Job Cohen wants to require the wait period to allow mushroom buyers to fully understand exactly what it is they are purchasing, ANP news agency reported Tuesday.

The proposal seeks to prevent impulse purchases and follows several incidents that have occurred in the city involving tourists who have eaten hallucinogenic mushrooms.

In March, a 17-year-old French girl killed herself by jumping from a bridge in the city after having eaten mushrooms.

Under the proposal, potential mushroom buyers would have to show identity papers when visiting one of the "smart shops" where they are sold in the famously tolerant city.

They would then be given a card with the date listed on it, as well as fliers with information on the mushrooms.

Three days later, the mushrooms could be collected.

The mayor detailed the proposal in a letter to Dutch Health Minister Ab Klink, ANP said.

Link

That's BS. People will just break the rule...

Maybe the mayor has ulterior motives, like more tourist $$.

I would rather wait for three days, as opposed to just not even tolerating them, as in my current USA.

Brilliant. This is an excellent move on their part. This is what a responsible decriminalized future will be like.

phrozen, what motivation is there to break the rule? Mushrooms, like guns, are not something that anyone needs to buy on a whim. If you haven't planned at least 3 days ahead for how and where you're going to use them, then you really shouldn't be using them. If you really need mushrooms on demand, you can always stock up and buy an ounce or two with the 3 day wait rule, then save most of them for later trips.

They're all valid points regarding Amsterdam citizens.

I was thinking more along the lines of tourists that are only in Amsterdam for less than three days. I'd imagine that some of them will certainly pay a small premium to dealers that don't abide by the 3 day wait period.

yeah this is definitley a good thing. i would never complain about waiting, and its protecting ppl from them dumb selves.

phrozen, that isn't really much of an issue. Who goes to Amsterdam for less than 3 days, doesn't bring drugs of their own, and expects to be able to take psychedelic mushrooms during their 1-2 day stay? Nobody whose opinion matters to the Dutch.

Despite what it looks like, its probably a good move maybe trying to curb ppl from doing it on a whim without knowing much about whats goin into their bodies, gives em time to think about it.

And.. most importantly, its a reasonable response to a reasonable concern, instead of some of the other crap that happens worldwide

A three day wait for shrooms in Amsterdam and a three day wait for a gun permit in the USA is almost a whole fucking week--these bureaucrats must think I have time to burn... ;)

Chubba75 said:
Smart move.

They're bloody mushrooms, I spend 6 months getting ready for a proper trip, why can't people wait 3 days?
My thoughts exactly!

So one girl kills herself and there's a three day wait period?!

I know everyone seems to be agreeing, but this doesn't make sense to me. It could also be a slippery slope...

phrozen said:
So one girl kills herself and there's a three day wait period?!

I know everyone seems to be agreeing, but this doesn't make sense to me. It could also be a slippery slope...

thats not the only reason. european politicians are trying to get holland to illegalize mushies for a few years now.

brainbug said:
thats not the only reason. european politicians are trying to get holland to illegalize mushies for a few years now.

Exactly what I meant by the slippery slope... What's next, a wait period on cannabis?

They're going backwards. This seems a like start to something bigger.

phrozen, do you realize what the alternative is? They were > < this close to banning the sale of mushrooms outright, look up news articles. The Dutch government got taken over by conservatives recently. This is a compromise measure.

^ Why should everybody have to buy into your version of pseudo-spiritual ritual? Seekin them out.. lol

Coolio said:
Brilliant. This is an excellent move on their part. This is what a responsible decriminalized future will be like.

why? why should it? why do we require the 'state' to babysit us? In a liberal democracy people are supposed to have the liberty of choice. Its a shame.. the Netherlands is really the closest thing the world has to a libertarian society and things like this could be the first signs of it regressing on that freedom of choice.

Unfortunatley the only thing most people in this thread think about is "OMFGORGZ AT LEAST TEY CAN STLL GET MUSHIES WOWZER BETTER THEN MY COUNTRY HAHAHAHA"

Coolio said:
If you haven't planned at least 3 days ahead for how and where you're going to use them, then you really shouldn't be using them.

What an incredibly arragont opinion.. what is good for you is not nessacarily the same for the next person, that is exactly the thinking that justifies prohibition.