• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

SMH 07/09/07 "Breaking taboos - it's time we recognised that illegal drugs are fun"

johnnyonelove

Bluelighter
SMH 07/09/07 "Breaking taboos - it's time we recognised that illegal drugs are fun"

Breaking taboos - it's time we recognised that illegal drugs are fun

Michael Duffy
September 7, 2007
AdvertisementAdvertisement

Three cheers for my fellow columnist Lisa Pryor, who last week suggested we acknowledge the elephant in the room where public debate about drugs occurs. It's time to stand up and say illegal drug use is fun and - unless you get caught - harmless.

Yes, there are exceptions to this. But far fewer than if you tried to make the same claim about nicotine or alcohol or junk food. The criminalisation of recreational drugs will one day be looked back on with the incredulity we now reserve for Prohibition.

The criminalisation of fun drugs is based on claims about the harm they do, which fly in the face of the experience of a large proportion of the population. The six-week "drug holiday" for rugby league players announced this week is surely an acknowledgment of just how common and acceptable recreational drug-taking is among young people, including very fit and healthy young people.

The persistence of drug criminalisation reflects the self-interest of a loose coalition of politicians, moralists and law enforcement officials, in search of headlines, bigger budgets and more power. They've been winning the argument for a long time now, at least in terms of public policy. What might alter this situation?

The change will eventually come from a growing awareness of the terrible and accelerating damage the illicit drug economy is doing to peace and prosperity around the globe. That trade is booming today because of the trade liberalisation and globalisation we've experienced since the 1990s. These have created enormous wealth, thereby expanding the markets for fun drugs, and making it even easier for drug growers and manufacturers in other countries to reach those markets.

This is the theory of Moises Naim, editor of the magazine Foreign Policy. Recently Naim told me: "The United Nations Office of Drug Control and Crime just released a report estimating the value of the international drug trade at $US660 billion ($800 billion) a year. It is great, it is growing, it is diversifying, both geographically and in terms of product lines. It's a vast industry that moves a lot of money and has huge requirements in terms of infrastructure, transportation and so on. All of that on a daily basis, on a systematic basis, would be impossible without the active complicity of governments around the world."

In many Third World countries (or "narcostates"), governments and their agencies are now corrupted by drug traders and their allies in politics and legitimate business activities. This makes much of the international war against drugs - estimated to cost $US100 million a year - an ineffectual farce.

The scale of the drug economy is only possible because First World countries have been unable to stop the immense craving for fun drugs among their own populations. As Naim puts it: "The markets are massive and they're created by state intervention [ie criminalisation]."

He believes the international drug trade is now so big and corrosive of national sovereignty that it, along with other cross-border crimes such as people smuggling and money laundering, "are reconfiguring and transforming the world's politics and economics today far more than terrorism".

Everywhere you look, the growing spread of drugs is trashing public morality and everyday life. Naim has written that the world is undergoing an unprecedented pandemic of crime. In 2003 the UN reported that crime rates were increasing almost everywhere. In cities such as Johannesburg and Milan there have been large protest marches complaining about rising crime. The World Bank says Latin America's economic growth could be 8 per cent higher if its crime rates dropped.

What drives up crime? Poverty doesn't seem to matter. Inequality and urbanisation play a part. But researchers agree a big contributor is the combination of a high proportion of young men, easy access to guns, and ample drugs.

The Asia-Pacific Economic Co-operation leaders this weekend ought to be talking seriously about drugs. But of course they won't, because that would offend the United States, whose expensive and long-running war on drugs is possibly the greatest public policy failure of all time.

The latest issue of Foreign Policy has an article on this by Ethan Nadelmann, founder of the Drug Policy Alliance, which argues for decriminalisation. He notes that the number of Americans incarcerated for US drug-law violations has increased from 50,000 in 1980 to 500,000 today. The US, with five per cent of the world's population, has 25 per cent of its prisoners.

For a long time the US and its punitive-moral agenda has dominated the international agencies set up to deal with drugs. But Nadelmann says this hegemony is now under challenge for the first time. "The European Union is demanding rigorous assessment of drug-control strategies. Exhausted by decades of service to the US-led war on drugs, Latin Americans are far less inclined to collaborate closely with US drug enforcement efforts. Finally waking up to the threat of HIV/AIDS, China, Indonesia, Vietnam and even Malaysia are increasingly accepting of syringe-exchange and other harm reduction programs [which the US opposes]."

This is good news even if it is only a start. The truth is that the West's war on drugs can never be won, because too many people don't want it to be won. And while fun drugs do some damage, it is only a tiny fraction of the destruction caused around the globe by drug prohibition.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/opinion/breaking-taboos/2007/09/06/1188783413121.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Damn somebody beat me! :)

At last an article that finally adresses the reality that the War can't be won. Honest, accurate and to be honest I am suprised the article made it past the editor.

Good work.

Yay! I am also suprised this even got published. Maybe our government will actually start thinking about what legalising drugs will do. But I still have a negative attitude toward the Australian govenment. TBH, I think they are all fucktards.

oh well, At least we dont live in sierra leone or some equally fucked up place.

What is this? The drugs aren't the devil week?

Good article.. Facts, Not BS.

the_ketaman said:
I still have a negative attitude toward the Australian govenment. TBH, I think they are all fucktards.

oh well, At least we dont live in sierra leone or some equally fucked up place.

Firstly if you think the Australian government is actually "in charge" and making the "rules" you may be a fucktard. Consider the words of Goethe.

"There are none so enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free."

Considering the Australian liberal government lies somewhere between the centralised banking system that owns the world and the stupified masses who do as they are told and then repeat.

I would have to give the government top marks for the life that i can live. I pray to god that new kid on the block Rudd, will NOT gain power judged on his freshness and fuck the economy

And drugs, yes in an ideal world they would be legal and moderated, but i dont see how that could ever happen without the cogs and machinery of society falling apart for a while.

Now its time for me to light up a highly illegal and prohibited jay and go for a walk. What a horrible facist nazi owellian country we live in ........ not !

Last edited:
couldn't agree with everything outlined in that article. hit the nail on the head. i think that one day people will liken society's prejudice of drug use(rs) to prejudices such as racism, or intolerance of homosexuality.

thing is that its difficult to change a whole society's mindset on such highly emotional topics. but it will change in time.

time traveler said:
And drugs, yes in an ideal world they would be legal and moderated, but i dont see how that could ever happen without the cogs and machinery of society falling apart for a while.

i don't see why this would need to be the case.

Last edited:
johnnyonelove said:
couldn't agree with everything outlined in that article. hit the nail on the head. i think that one day people will liken society's prejudice of drug use(rs) to prejudices such as racism, or intolerance of homosexuality.

thing is that its difficult to change a whole societies mindset on such highly emotional topics. but it will change in time.

I agree with you on this jol... whos to say the government or agencies are not making money from the drug trade anyway ....I cant see it being a hard transformation to make...just means they might have to declare what they do make lol. %)

Mr Samadhi said:
I agree with you on this jol... whos to say the government or agencies are not making money from the drug trade anyway ....I cant see it being a hard transformation to make...just means they might have to declare what they do make lol. %)

well this is possibly (probably?) part of the problem. there are many people with financial interest in keeping it illegal.

johnnyonelove said:

Well they cant just make it legal to have whatever on you in whatever quantity

They will want to tax the shit out of every single chem they are making available, and then some.

So dealers are going to still be illegal

Who is going to decide if you can have H or Coke or a spliff, your doctor ? the pharmacist ? you ?

How much will you be able to get of what ?

Who is going to make what ?

Who is going to set the prices ?

What is going to stop someone who is allowed to take a drug giving it to someone who cant ?

Think of the children !

What is going to happen to the majority of people working average jobs when they discover H and start nodding off, or when they find how much more they can get done on meth or coke and then CRASH.

Do you really want RANDOM ACROSS THE BOARD DRUG DRIVING tests which will no doubt come with legalisation

The cogs of society will slip and stop turning. When things start going bad people are just going to self medicate more and before you know it we will find ourselves in a dark place

George Washington reportedly smoked weed. I have often imagined what thoughts would of ran through his head

"MMM this shit is great, but do i really want the rest of society feeling what i am feeling now "

firstly, there is no perfect solution to the potential for harm from drug (ab)use. but i think we can hope for something much better than the current "solution".

time traveler said:
Well they cant just make it legal to have whatever on you in whatever quantity
i agree. a moderated system would get my vote.
time traveler said:
They will want to tax the shit out of every single chem they are making available, and then some.

So dealers are going to still be illegal
i'd be more than happy to pay for taxed pharmaceutical grade drugs.
dealers will be largely out of business.

time traveler said:
Who is going to decide if you can have H or Coke or a spliff, your doctor ? the pharmacist ? you ?

you. after you pass some sort of test to show you understand the drug and its potential risks. a drug license card perhaps, which enables you to buy drugs you are qualified to take. this should apply across the board, including alcohol and tobacco.
time traveler said:
How much will you be able to get of what ?
don't know. perhaps enough for a few doses.

time traveler said:
Who is going to make what ?
who cares, as long as they make it to pharmaceutical grade.

time traveler said:
Who is going to set the prices ?
prices will be say $30 per dose give or take. as is generally the case across the board.

time traveler said:
What is going to stop someone who is allowed to take a drug giving it to someone who cant ?

i think that people might respect a moderated system more, and will be less likely to provide drugs where they shouldn't be provided. it will be abused no doubt, and i reiterate that there is no perfect system.

time traveler said:
Think of the children !
illegal for those under 18. again will be abused, but most kids don't have any trouble procuring alcohol/other under the current system.

time traveler said:
What is going to happen to the majority of people working average jobs when they discover H and start nodding off, or when they find how much more they can get done on meth or coke and then CRASH.

no different to current system.

time traveler said:
Do you really want RANDOM ACROSS THE BOARD DRUG DRIVING tests which will no doubt come with legalisation

yes. people shouldn't drive under the influence. not that i've never been guilty.

time traveler said:
The cogs of society will slip and stop turning. When things start going bad people are just going to self medicate more and before you know it we will find ourselves in a dark place

i doubt that.

anyhow, these are just some ideas for an alternate system that would IMHO address the potential issues of drugs in society much better than the current system manges to.