• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Father stabs drug-addicted son to stop abuse - (stabber gets time served)

phr

Ex-Bluelighter
POINT OF NO RETURN
Father stabs drug-addicted son to stop abuse
Philadelphia Daily News
By STEPHANIE FARR & WILLIAM BENDER

LAWRENCE DUGAN Sr. began Wednesday morning by praying quietly over his slumbering son. He ended the prayer with the sign of the cross.

Then, he told police, he drove a six-inch hunting knife into his son's head, back, chest and stomach in an attempt to end 11 years of abuse from his drug-addicted son.

Dugan, a longtime employee at the U.S. Post Office at 30th and Market streets whose ex-wife said he has a history of mental illness but has never been violent, was arrested and charged with attempted murder.

His son and namesake, Lawrence Dugan Jr., is recovering at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.

"Either my brother was going to kill my dad, or my dad was going to kill my brother, plain and simple," the elder Dugan's daughter, Melissa, said yesterday as she sat outside the family's Upper Darby apartment, nervously smoking a cigarette.

She said she saw this day coming.

The younger Dugan, 25, has a mean heroin habit and a rap sheet to go with it, police and family members said.

When not in jail, Melissa Dugan said, he would steal his father's rent money or pawn his possessions to buy dope. He even wrecked his father's brand new Mitsubishi, but the senior Dugan never wanted to press charges.

"It's just a mess," she said. "When he got out of prison, he tracked us down and moved back in. We could never get rid of him. He wouldn't leave. He's a problem child."

She said she had hoped to get her father out of the apartment and away from her brother.

Now her dad's living at the Delaware County prison, awaiting his preliminary hearing.

"He's put my dad through hell, absolute hell and back," she said of her brother.

On Monday, Dugan, 52, tried to get police to intervene, police and family members said. He went to the Upper Darby Police Department across the street and told investigators that his son has been addicted to drugs for 11 years and requires 15 bags of heroin a day to fuel his habit.

His son, he told police, had recently asked him to purchase a gun for him because "he wants to go out like Scarface" and will "take out cops that try to stop him," according to police records.

Upper Darby Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood said he immediately issued a police bulletin warning all officers to use caution when dealing with Dugan Jr. But, he said, police had nothing to charge him with at the time.

After years of threats, thefts and assaults, the father on Wednesday decided to take the law into his own hands.

When police arrived at their apartment on West Chester Pike, Dugan, whose hands and feet were covered in blood, told officers that he'd just stabbed and killed his son, the police affidavit said.

The younger Dugan, who was soaked in blood at the top of a stairwell, was able to identify his father as the attacker, according to court documents.

He was taken to HUP, where he underwent surgery for internal and external wounds. Police recovered what they described as a "blood-soaked hunting-style knife" at the front door of the apartment.

"It's a perfect example of what drug addiction does to families," Chitwood said. "These junkies destroy the fabric of family life by stealing and robbing from their own family."

Dugan Jr.'s mother, Patricia, agrees. She blames her son - not her ex-husband - for what happened.

"I think my son is evil, is what it comes down to," said Patricia Dugan, who does not live in the apartment.

Until Wednesday, Dugan Sr., who family members said also works at Philadelphia International Airport, had never resorted to violence, obtained a restraining order or changed the locks on the door, despite the troubles with his son, the family said.

"Maybe he was hoping Larry would change and get a job," Patricia Dugan said.

"I think he just snapped," she added. "He was not in the right state of mind."

At his arraignment, Dugan told his family that he doesn't remember stabbing his son.

"He blacked out," said his daughter, Kristen. "His mind wasn't there."

Chitwood said Dugan Jr. was known to Upper Darby police as a violent drug addict with an "extensive" criminal history, including assault, harassment and even a stabbing in Upper Darby. He is currently on probation in both Delaware and Philadelphia counties, Chitwood said.

Yesterday, Patricia Dugan visited her son in the hospital. His condition has been upgraded from critical to stable and he wants to go to rehab to get clean.

It was good news for the Dugans. But they seem more concerned now with the patriarch of the family, who has been charged with attempted homicide, possessing instruments of a crime, simple assault, aggravated assault, recklessly endangering another person and harassment.

He remains at the George W. Hill Correctional Facility in lieu of $500,000 bail.

Gathered at the apartment yesterday, the Dugan children worried about whether their father would get a fair trial and whether the jury would know all that they know about their brother - that there are mitigating circumstances to this crime.

Melissa Dugan cringed at the thought that her dad could spend the rest of his life in jail.

"I think he should be allowed to come back home," she said. *

Link!

It's unbelievable that the family is actually siding with the father.

It's a tough situation, but they could have taken steps to distance themselves from him. They shouldn't have allowed him to move back in and they could have obtained a restraining order.

phrozen said:

It's a tough situation, but they could have taken steps to distance themselves from him. They shouldn't have allowed him to move back in and they could have obtained a restraining order.
yeah, stabbing the kid was hardly the last reasonable measure they could take.

I don't see how a situation would like this would call for killing your only son.

Pitty.

^
It sounds like we're all walking in at the final scene in the movie. Where the dad has been pushed over the line and tries to kill his son. Sounds crazy but you don't see all the things that took him to this place.

'When not in jail, Melissa Dugan said, he would steal his father's rent money or pawn his possessions to buy dope. He even wrecked his father's brand new Mitsubishi, but the senior Dugan never wanted to press charges.

"It's just a mess," she said. "When he got out of prison, he tracked us down and moved back in. We could never get rid of him. He wouldn't leave. He's a problem child."'

I'm not trying to excuse what the guy did, but his son wasn't helping the situation. Sounds like he had a deathwish anyhow.

It sounds like we're all walking in at the final scene in the movie. Where the dad has been pushed over the line and tries to kill his son. Sounds crazy but you don't see all the things that took him to this place.

^ I agree.

LAWRENCE DUGAN Sr. began Wednesday morning by praying quietly over his slumbering son. He ended the prayer with the sign of the cross.

Then, he told police, he drove a six-inch hunting knife into his son's head, back, chest and stomach in an attempt to end 11 years of abuse from his drug-addicted son.

What the hell is with religious people and "mercy killings?" I had a friend who had a major dope habit, and his grandmother would tell me the same thing almost every time I went over to his house.
"I know it sounds bad hun, but sometimes I just wish he would be taken to heaven so he could get away from all this mess."
And I'd stand there like uhhhhhhhh :\

^
It also says the father consistently refused to press charges against his son. I'm certainly not for jailing, or even charging drug users, but that would have been a good thing if it would have avoided this mess.

It sounds like the father has some mental issues... I hope that doesn't get him off the hook for doing this.

Nothing should have been able to take him there. There are no excuses for stabbing someone like that.

Carl Landrover said:
^

'When not in jail, Melissa Dugan said, he would steal his father's rent money or pawn his possessions to buy dope. He even wrecked his father's brand new Mitsubishi, but the senior Dugan never wanted to press charges.

"It's just a mess," she said. "When he got out of prison, he tracked us down and moved back in. We could never get rid of him. He wouldn't leave. He's a problem child."'

I'm not trying to excuse what the guy did, but his son wasn't helping the situation. Sounds like he had a deathwish anyhow.
I understand that. I've often considered murdering my family, but I could never see myself killing my only son.

Would have been much more logical to get his son somehow arrested and forced into some sort of treatment.

I swear people get less and less rational as we "progress". People can pull any excuse out of their ass to justify their acts now.

sorry but i would do them same fuck the cops what can they do this kid has been to prison and come out found the new house and got back to his old ways obviously did not want to change and it is for that reason that i would prob kick the shit outta my son too if he stole from me and fucked around with my life as much as this kid has. This father obviously loved his son, yet the son continued to abuse and take advantage of this love for his own personal gain and refused to give his family any respect. I could say quite confidently i woulda just told that kid to fuck off and left it at that, but this father kept hoping for the son to change which he didnt and one day snapped..

For the above reasons i can not agree with the act but can definitely see where the father was coming from, however this does is no excuse for the act which was a blatant violation of the law, love or hate the law he broke it and will be charged accordingly, but fuck that kid needed to be shown the door imo..

If the father is that ill that his mind was just "gone" then he should be in a mental facility, or at least on medication. Its unfair to the son and the father that any of this happened, it could have been prevented, but I guess the family has a part in that too, the kid should have just been kicked out for good in the first place. But you cant turn back time, whats done is now done.

phrozen said:
^
It also says the father consistently refused to press charges against his son. I'm certainly not for jailing, or even charging drug users, but that would have been a good thing if it would have avoided this mess.

Slightly off topic - drug use does not excuse crime.

Arresting and charging drug users is completely different than...

Arresting someone for committing a crime - sober or not.

I think that people get the idea in their heads that if drugs become legal that all drug related crime will become legal.

This simply isn't the case (I'm sure it's not what you're thinking, but it comes to mind and I'm in rant mode. Sorry >_<)

If drugs were legal, drug crimes could be investigated and responded to by police - rather than covered up and hidden with "Street justice"

Drugs themselves are not crimes.
They cannot be.

They are simply property - and in the United States, that's one of our constitutionally protected rights.
For the government to deprive us of our right to property (ownership of goods we have either created through our time and talents or purchased with the same) means that we have taken the first step in this country towards fascism.

Revolutioni.st/liberty.html
Short video about liberty... what it means...
With commentary by... me.
And the laws that protect us from the enforcement of the drug laws.

Again with the postal workers...

The mail.. it never stops coming.. and coming.. more and MORE..

"NUMAN!!!!"

phrozen said:

Exactly!

I mean, if they were trying to do a mercy thing, they could have just let him overdose and not try to revive him rather than kill him.

However, it would have made much more sense to get a restraing order against him and give him just enough money to rent an apartment or something and tell him it was his problem if he kept fucking up and got arrested or couldn't keep up with his rent or whatever.

My GF's father has a brother that has been hooked on various stuff, especially crack for years. He finally kicked him out and now he's in a halfway home. He'll probably die there. So what? His problem.

In analyzing this thread... it appears that one is more likely to kill someone they care about than someone they don't

^
Homicide statistics probably back you. Friends and family are typically the first suspects considered.

And thus the serpent swallows its own head
from which the prophet on the hill has cut into the vein he has drawn forth

Accused dad to get new legal counsel
By STEPHANIE FARR

With nowhere else to turn, Lawrence Dugan Jr., 25, is back at his dad's apartment in Upper Darby, where he was nearly slain by his father less than two weeks ago.

Meanwhile, Lawrence Dugan Sr., 52, is spending his nights at the Delaware County Prison on attempted homicide charges in connection with the Aug. 29 stabbing of his namesake.

The elder Dugan claims he stabbed his heroin-addicted son in the head, back and stomach to end more than a decade of theft and abuse by his son.

Dugan Sr.'s ex-wife, Patricia, and his daughter, Melissa, showed up Monday to support him at his preliminary hearing in district court.

"He's in good spirits, considering the situation," Melissa Dugan said of her father.

Thin and haggard, Dugan Sr. stood before Upper Darby District Judge Harry Karapalides, unaware that he was being represented by the public defender's office.

But, even behind bars, Dugan Sr. couldn't escape his son's wrongdoings.

His preliminary hearing was continued at the request of the defense because of a conflict of interest in the case.

Since the public defender's office has represented his son on two previous criminal matters, Dugan Sr. will require a court-appointed attorney.

A new preliminary hearing date was set for Oct. 1.

Outside the courtroom, Dugan's ex-wife and daughter were optimistic, but not overly confident, at the chances of recovery for Dugan Jr., who, they said, put his father through "absolute hell" to support his heroin addiction.

"I sure hope he's getting help," Patricia Dugan said, admitting that she's had little contact with her son since his release from the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.

Dugan Sr. remains in prison in lieu of $500,000 bail. *

20070911_dn_z2stab11c.JPG

Link

phrozen said:
It looks like the son is back at the apartment. He really needs to move on with his life and get his own place. I can't imagine that he's actually welcomed there. :\