Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: The Age 23/08/07- Cannabis smoker blamed for seven-death crash

Chronik Fatigue

Ex-Bluelighter
Cannabis smoker blamed for seven-death crash

Dan Harrison
August 23, 2007 - 10:37AM

A coroner has found the principal cause of a car accident in which seven people were killed was the consumption of cannabis by one of the drivers shortly before the crash.

Seven people from four families died when a sedan driven by Max Purdue, 38, failed to give way at the intersection of the Borung Highway and the Donald-Swan Hill Road near Donald in the state's north-west.

Mr Purdue's sedan collided with a van carrying Graham and Kath Millard from Heywood, in western Victoria, in September last year.

Killed were Mr Purdue, his son's girlfriend Mandy Niblett, 17, his friend Daniel Kelly, 37, and Mr Kelly's children Gavin, 8 and Natalie 7.

Delivering his findings on the death this morning, the corner, Victoria's Chief Magistrate Ian Gray, concluded that Mr Purdue's driving was "the principal cause of the collision".

He said Graham Millard, who was driving the van, was not at fault. But Mr Gray added a secondary factor was that there was not adequate signage to warn drivers of the dangers of the intersection.

"This intersection was, in my opinion, deceptive and dangerous," he said.

Earlier the inquest was told a toxicology test on Mr Purdue showed cannabis' active component, THC, in a concentration of 44 nanograms per millilitre.

Dr Morris O'Dell, a senior forensic physician from the Victorian Institute of Forensic Medicine gave evidence that he had never seen a THC concentration so high in more than 15 years as a forensic physician.

He said it was possible to be confident that a person with such a level of THC in the blood would have been smoking cannabis less than an hour earlier and would still be affected by the drug.

Outside the court Kevin Millard, who lost both his parents in the collision, said he hoped it would stand as a warning of the dangers of using drugs with driving.

"I'd just like for the message to get across that drugs and driving is very, very dangerous.

"If that wasn't involved, this tragedy wouldn't have happened."

Mr Millard said he was "angry" at Mr Purdue "but there's no use holding that against anybody".

He said the coroner's finding that his father was not at fault was "a weight off my shoulders".

"I always had it in my own mind that Dad was innocent but until the truth comes out nobody else knows that."
The Age

"I'd just like for the message to get across that drugs and driving is very, very dangerous.

"If that wasn't involved, this tragedy wouldn't have happened."

Yeah, because straight people always give way. 8)

There certainly is alot of far out claims out there about marijuana, but if the guy was stoned when he crashed then he's really just got to cop whats coming. Its not like they are saying that it was just in his system, the reading he gave means he smoked very soon before he crashed. It should be treated just like anyone who kills people driving drunk.

I have spoken to a few regularly smokers who just brush it off and say 'they are used to it, it doesn't affect there driving', but thats like accepting an alcoholic who says hes used to driving drunk.

And thats not to say that I am not as guilty as anyone else, I know if I would have had an accident in my previous heavier smoking years I would have been in serious, life changing trouble.

It doesn't matter what drug you have in your system when driving, it's going to effect your perception of things. And even in the slightest way, this can matter greatly on roads filled with terrible sober drivers and even worse drugged out ones. The point is pretty clear, driving under the influence of shit gets people killed and a seven death crash caused by two parties is a pretty serious fucking issue considering the guy had pot in his system. I don't care how many people flaunt the whole 'Oh no, weed makes me cautious when I drive so I'm actually safer" BS; because your perception is slowed doesn't allow you to make a positive judgment on your ability to drive.

While risks are increased with intoxicated drivers, I believe large amounts of caffeine can be just as dangerous as cannabis. With larger doses of caffeine, drivers can become erratic, shaky and prone to over reacting.

I also wonder just how safe chronic cannabis users are when they drive straight. Most I know generally tend to be irritable, impulsive and impatient when they're straight for extended periods. To me, such a driver poses far more risk to others. The same might be said of long term users of anxiety medications, prescription or otherwise.

Fatigued or distracted drivers, or those lacking alertness, all pose a risk to the safety of other travellers.

To be perfectly honest, if I had to make a choice from the above, I'd choose to be a passenger in a car with the regularly stoned driver.

However, in saying that, I do believe there needs to be stringent and tight control over drivers that aren't fit to drive - including drug affected drivers. Still, while we can detect those who have recently used drugs, how do we measure alertness and potential for distraction? Being really excited or concerned about something can also dramatically increase risk of accident. Then there's those who travel fast while rummaging through, and changing cds, or drive with their knee on the wheel while eating or SMSing their friends. I once travelled in a car with a guy that did this for over 70km, travelling at speeds of 120km/hour plus with most of his gaze fixed on his mobile. It was a terrifying experience but it made me wonder just how many other drivers were out there - that you pass within inches of - doing the same thing.

Being on the road is dangerous, full stop. You're potentially within a short distance of death every time you pass a car. Pulling the stoned (cannabis) drivers off the road might help, but I'd be willing to bet it would do little to lower accident rates. Inattentiveness from lack of sleep, stress, running late, etc are far more likely contributors IMHO.

There's also another issue that should be addressed in this area. How many cars are out there that aren't road worthy, and thereby pose an additional - some might say a less controllable risk - to motorists. Qld doesn't even have a compulsory 12 month road-worthy rule. Let's start by adopting tougher inspection regulations and bringing vehicle safety standards into line with New Zealand, where vehicles must pass a thorough 12 monthly warrant of fitness' check for any new car and a 6 monthly one for any car over 6 years old. As seen there, this needs to also include trailers, motorbikes and basically anything on the road. I think it's absolutely absurd that these basic requirements aren't universal throughout Australia. Who does the risk management?

Some might argue that as such a high percentage of drivers involved in accidents have drugs in their system, this should be addressed first. But how does this figure compare with victims of road accidents and those who are fortunate enough to avoid accidents? What levels of drugs are common in these groups? afaik these figures haven't been compared, possibly as they are likely to reveal that drug use is even more prevalent than we care to admit.

I'm all for reducing road accidents, but in doing that, sensationalistic responses should be avoided and the whole issue of road safety be properly addressed. Why do we allow cars to be registered that have a top speed that can be up to 3 times the max speed limit? Why aren't all intersections and sections of road with a history of accidents not fixed up? Why don't all rail crossings have boom gates? Why aren't roadways designed with a more far-sighted approach to traffic density? Why aren't defensive driving courses compulsory for all drivers?.......