• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

what does USP or BP mean?

DarkChild

Bluelighter
Hi, im wondering what USP or BP means regarding purity and quality. Thanks

United States Pharmacopea , its a standard that things used in the medical world must meet to be considered usable in humans, for instance, ketamine vials are USP grade, they have a certain style container thats approved to keep this drug stable in a solution, they have only sterile water and the drug, also both absolutely pure, and a preserve to keep things from forming to prevent infection.
Here is what a USP designation checklist looks like for a powder, i havent included the values from this one but theyre chemical specific:
Name:
Batch Number (to trace products that need to be recalled and such)
Packing: (usually Tight PVC containers)
Date of manuf:
Date of certification:
Quantity:
Then there are some specifications you must meet when it is tested in the following ways, there will be an acceptable range or a certain answer
Characteristics: (look of powder)
Melting range:
Clarity and color of a solution of 10% of it
PH:
Residue on ignition:
Heavy metal content limit:
Limit of foreign amines (the one im reading is an amine)
Chromatographic purity: (A GC/MS usually is used to assure the quality)
Assay: (chemical componets and the formula)
Conclusion: if the test results match each criteria then it is certified for use as a USP grade medical drug/item.
------------------
~The Recreational Pharmacist (Ketamike)
I have never belonged wholeheartedly to country or State, to my circle of friends or even to my own family...
Such isolation is sometimes bitter, but I do not regret being cut off from the understanding and sympathy of other men.
I lose something by it,to be sure, but I am compensated for it in being rendered independent of the customs,
opinions and prejudices of others, and am not tempted to rest my peace of mind upon such shifting foundations.
--Albert Einstein
My AIM: TheTripDoctor (always on)