Can we have a thread here to discuss the current lounge rules?

zephyr

Ex-Bluelighter
The lounge rules have been changed. The wording of these changes does not name certain members but does insinuate about certain members.

I would like a thread to discuss this in a calm mature manner and also to ask if the issues at hand were discussed with these members "who know who they are".

Is this possible or is this also against the rules?

I'm pretty sure the Bluelight majority knows the "issues" at hand were discussed with certain individuals.

Minus that, I think this thread would be a good idea love.

I believe so. My point being, if the problems mods are having are with cetain individuals, why are these isssues just discussed privately with them instead of taken into the open, especially in such a way that vetoes any feedback from them in the same public forum?

There is always going to be periods of time where a group of people take over a little and postwhore the living shit out of the lounge. I can think off the top of my head plenty of bluelighters, some of which then became mods in spite of this, WERE mods in spite of this and were not then made a cause of any rule changes.

I honestly think the wording is really off lefty and could use a little ummm.... I dunno ...decuntifying so to speak.

I wouldn't mind knowing the public opinion on certain individuals, both the love and the hate opinion.

Granted certain people post whore the living shit of The Lounge and "take over" so to speak, but they keep water from getting stagnant, share some old jokes and some new jokes, fuck with a few Greenlighters in good fun, and then embrace those Greenlighters as Bluelighters.

"Display the sort of content you wish to see."
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/announcement.php?f=28

This makes sense. A crackdown on what some people call offensive or annoying, is excessive, and unfair to those that appreciate what is posted.

Some people maybe be offended, or annoyed by certain things people post. But others may find it amusing, or simply not care. By limiting peoples expression, sure you might make some people happy, but you also deprive other people of their happiness.

I am going to nitpick here, not simply to be an abrasive prick, but simply because it is relivant and clarification on the issue could spare some future headache.

"There has been a wave of troll like behaviour in the lounge by various users. Some have been previously dealt with while others have not."
"This crackdown is on everyone that posts in the lounge equally."
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showpost.php?p=5242108&postcount=2

If said 'crackdown' applies to everyone equally, why have only some people been dealt with while others have not? Doesn't sound fair or equal to me. Why are only some people being dealt with?

Last edited:
I rarely visit the lounge. Basicall;y because it doesnt appeal to me in its current form...........but thats OK I am not the center of the universe and if the majority like it that way then thats all good.

Having read through the rules, I cant see anything wrong with them. And I certainly didnt see anybodys name or even an implication to anyone.........

If you have to be in ther loop to be able to notice this stuff then does it really matter?

9mmCensor said:
Some people maybe be offended, or annoyed by certain things people post. But others may find it amusing, or simply not care. By limiting peoples expression, sure you might make some people happy, but you also deprive other people of their happiness.
you are essentially suggesting anybody should be able to post absolutely anything, anytime. to me that doesn't seem practical at all.

so, once you've agreed that a line is drawn somewhere, it becomes a discussion of where the line is drawn. there will always be disagreement and the current system has the moderators of each forum drawing the line for their respective forums.
9mmCensor said:
If said 'crackdown' applies to everyone equally, why have only some people been dealt with while others have not? Doesn't sound fair or equal to me. Why are only some people being dealt with?
as i read it, the tenses are all-important. some people were dealt with some were not (i.e. unfair). everybody will be treated equally (i.e. fair).

alasdair

MazDan said:
I rarely visit the lounge. Basically because it doesn't appeal to me in its current form...........but thats OK I am not the center of the universe and if the majority like it that way then thats all good.

Having read through the rules, I cant see anything wrong with them. And I certainly didnt see anybodys name or even an implication to anyone.........

If you have to be in there loop to be able to notice this stuff then does it really matter?
What about the lounge doesn't appeal to you now? You may not be the center of the universe (me, lol) but your a cool kid, and could certainly be a welcome Loungian (?). (can we use this thread as a discussion to gain incite to see how we can make the lounge better, for the users? an honest user and staff discussion would be great...)

"You know who you are."
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=330347
This is wear certain people are being singled out, without specifically mentioned, MazDan. And yeah if you follow the lounge and its happenings, I think its a bit easier to guess as to who these people are.

alasdairm said:
you are essentially suggesting anybody should be able to post absolutely anything, anytime. to me that doesn't seem practical at all.

so, once you've agreed that a line is drawn somewhere, it becomes a discussion of where the line is drawn. there will always be disagreement and the current system has the moderators of each forum drawing the line for their respective forums.

as i read it, the tenses are all-important. some people were dealt with some were not (i.e. unfair). everybody will be treated equally (i.e. fair).

alasdair
While I do like the concept of no censorship, I can live with some basic rules, I know their needs to be a line somewhere.

Where that line is drawn is important. If you draw it to far one way, you stifle creativity, and limit expression, which limits funny. If you draw it to far the other way, you have madness. Neither are good. Balancing the line to allow people to express themselves, and the ability to have a livable environment is hard to do, and certainly the input of the netizens that populate the lounge is a good idea. For the most part the lounge guidelines and forbidden lounge materials are fine. They are rather vague, so that leaves you with a fair bit of leeway for expression. This new crackdown appears to be about "If anyone wants to talk in stupid repetitive internet memes and images, confine them in here." Which some people like others not. Such limitations, conflict with "Display the sort of content you wish to see." Even from the wording of that phrase, it seems like some people are annoyed with how a number of people post, referring to it as "stupid". So you have a number of people that think expressing themselves with pictures (that can be relevant to the topic at hand, conforming to the basic guidelines of posting), but because some people think its stupid or annoying or some people find it offensive that avenue of expression is forbidden. It ignores all the people that like that. I don't find it reasonable. Its like me being offended or annoyed by people that fail to use capitalization. Sure its annoying, but I can deal with it, I can skip over that post, or whatever, its not reasonable for me to make everyone use proper grammar.

So basically in the past people have been treated unfairly, but now and in the future they will be? In general I am skeptical of people who say "it was unfair/bad/whatever in the past, but its gonna be great in the future".

All I really have to say about the rules is you reap what you sow.

9mmCensor said:

Examples?

Let's just face it. We had a fabulous lounge mod team and we didn't fully apppreciate it when we had it. You don't know what you've got till it's gone.

9mmCensor said:
So you have a number of people that think expressing themselves with pictures (that can be relevant to the topic at hand, conforming to the basic guidelines of posting), but because some people think its stupid or annoying or some people find it offensive that avenue of expression is forbidden. It ignores all the people that like that.
but the posting of these images (or whatever) ignores the people who don't like it. but the rules ignore the people who like it. but the posting of these images (or whatever) ignores the people who don't like it. but the rules ignore the people who like it. but... your argument is circular.

i also notice that you chose to write "can be relevant to the topic..." rather than "are relevant to the topic...". sure, they can but they rarely are.

if they were an occasional thing relevant to the topic and intended in a spirit of humour rather than, say, a regular, tiresome thing intended in a spirit of counterproductive stupidity or disruption, i suspect we wouldn't even be having this discussion...
9mmCensor said:
I don't find it reasonable.
i understand that from your replies. for now, the lounge doesn't operate on the basis of what you find reasonable.
9mmCensor said:
So basically in the past people have been treated unfairly, but now and in the future they will be? In general I am skeptical of people who say "it was unfair/bad/whatever in the past, but its gonna be great in the future".
that's my reading of the wording but i'm not a lounge moderator so this is just my $0.02 on what i've read.

regards

alasdair

Last edited:
It didn't say anything about the rules being changed, and as far as I can see, they haven't.

From L2R's topic, the problem is apparently "troll like behaviour". I'm not quite sure what everyone expects of the longue, but "troll like behaviour" is all that comes to mind when I see the longue:\

Reminder: We are talking about the lounge here, folks. What was the original intention of the lounge?

Finder said:
All I really have to say about the rules is you reap what you sow.

Examples?

This is correct. Aus Social, for example (and I am not critising the individual mods as they can party it up harder than anyone and seem like fun people in person and on line individuall) is fucking dead. Any thread that gets any semblance of a debate going on amongst groups of people get edited to the point of ridiculousness.

But this is not about Aus Social- its had fairly constant rules as far as I recall.

Internet memes are funny when not overdone and yeah, theres been heaps lately. Doesn't bother me personally. They aren't half as boring as a couple of other "certain posters" who don't have the brains to post anything remotely worth paying an internet connection for like "lol" or "we have the same pen holder". God, who cares? :p (But Im not mentioning names here either, so thats ok right! :D)

Anyway, rules are rules and there is substance in the new rules. I would suggest that people who don't bother contributing to the lounge themselves anymore yet still hover around to whinge about the quality stfu or actually show em how its done.

mazdan said:
I am not the center of the universe

Yes you are. Stop ruining my whole belief system! :(

delta_9 said:
From L2R's topic, the problem is apparently "troll like behaviour". I'm not quite sure what everyone expects of the longue, but "troll like behaviour" is all that comes to mind when I see the longue:\
qed?

alasdair

Was I not clear about something?

This topic alone wouldn't have been started if troll like behaviour wasn't becoming a problem.

Last edited:
^exactly my point (qed = quod erat demonstrandum = as demonstrated)

alasdair

oh sorry I though you were saying something else:D
I didn't exactly know what that meant:|
I feel dumb ...:(

The lounge rules have been changed. The wording of these changes does not name certain members but does insinuate about certain members.

the new lounge rules were not written to single anyone out... if you would have read the previous rules, they were a clusterfuck of rewrites from the time the lounge was social. the new rules pretty much condensed everything into an organized form.

I would like a thread to discuss this in a calm mature manner and also to ask if the issues at hand were discussed with these members "who know who they are".

yes they were.

This makes sense. A crackdown on what some people call offensive or annoying, is excessive, and unfair to those that appreciate what is posted.

I am going to nitpick here, not simply to be an abrasive prick, but simply because it is relivant and clarification on the issue could spare some future headache.

i do not see how wanting to keep threads on topic is limiting expression.

"You know who you are."
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=330347
This is wear certain people are being singled out, without specifically mentioned, MazDan. And yeah if you follow the lounge and its happenings, I think its a bit easier to guess as to who these people are.

those people are anyone who has had multiple warnings/PMs about their behavior.

"If anyone wants to talk in stupid repetitive internet memes and images, confine them in here." Which some people like others not. Such limitations, conflict with "Display the sort of content you wish to see." Even from the wording of that phrase, it seems like some people are annoyed with how a number of people post, referring to it as "stupid". So you have a number of people that think expressing themselves with pictures (that can be relevant to the topic at hand, conforming to the basic guidelines of posting), but because some people think its stupid or annoying or some people find it offensive that avenue of expression is forbidden. It ignores all the people that like that. I don't find it reasonable. Its like me being offended or annoyed by people that fail to use capitalization. Sure its annoying, but I can deal with it, I can skip over that post, or whatever, its not reasonable for me to make everyone use proper grammar.

people are free to express themselves as long as they stay on topic. most of the internet memes are not on topic and that is the problem.

i am unaware of anyone being treated unfairly, like finder said, examples?

It didn't say anything about the rules being changed, and as far as I can see, they haven't.

From L2R's topic, the problem is apparently "troll like behaviour". I'm not quite sure what everyone expects of the longue, but "troll like behaviour" is all that comes to mind when I see the longue

the rules have been changed. i don't notice you posting much in the lounge but there is actual discussion that goes on. the current trend of derailing every thread is what is considered "troll like behavior".

Reminder: We are talking about the lounge here, folks. What was the original intention of the lounge?

i know that it was not intended to house played out internet memes.

This is correct. Aus Social, for example (and I am not critising the individual mods as they can party it up harder than anyone and seem like fun people in person and on line individuall) is fucking dead. Any thread that gets any semblance of a debate going on amongst groups of people get edited to the point of ridiculousness.

But this is not about Aus Social- its had fairly constant rules as far as I recall.

the lounge will not turn into aus social.