• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA] Cooking with Cannabis

frizzantik

Bluelight Crew
All culinary questions belong in this Mega Thread. New threads regarding cooking with cannabis will be merged into this thread.

Here is a recipe for cannabutter i wrote a while back. Cannabutter is a great base for other cannabis recipies; just use it anywhere you would use regular butter.

I usually cook with pot i don't want to smoke. Ask your dealer for some shake, they're usually glad to get rid of it. I shake the keif fromt he budshake and then use whats left. when i make butter i like to have at least 2 oz of material. the more the better. If you have some potent buds, you may not want to use as much, but i'd rather smoke the buds :D

• you need:
  • big pasta pot
  • big bag a' pot
  • 1 and 1/3 stick butter
  • cheesecloth or nylon stocking
  • gloves (yellow dishwashing ones are fine.. the thicker the better though
  • because the butter gets hot)
  • tall somewhat flexible plastic cups
  • chopsticks or similar
  • refrigerator

For a OZ, use 1 and 1/3 sticks of butter. (1 stick=1/2 cup) A bit will get lost in the buds so this way you'll have 1/2 a cup for your recipe.

first grind up the bud into a fine powder or as close as possible to it. try to break down the big stems this will help later

boil some water in a big pot that has a lid. put the butter in while it's warming up. once the butter is melted and the water is boiling, toss in the bud.

let it barely simmer for at least 5 or 6 hours.. this makes sure you extract all of the thc and also 'activates it' or de-carbo-something which im too lazy to look up right now

once it's been simmer for a long time your house should smell pretty nappy. smoke a bowl of the kind to help with that. then get the gloves on

i use nylon stockings for this part but cheese cloth is apparently the prefered strainer. scoop, pour or otherwise get the butter/bud into the strainer over the plastic cup a nylon is cool cause you can get a lot in the tube. sqeeze the fuck out of it. watch out for stems which might rip the strainer

once you've strained all the butter, put in a chopstick or two to make it easier to get the butter out later. stick the cup in the fridge over night.

the next day, run a bit of hot water over the cup and pull on the chopsticks.. the butter will come out. do this over the sink because there is a bunch of nasty brown water under the butter. there might be a knappy layer of white/brown stuff on the bottom of the butter.. run it under hot water until it is gone.

if you did it right you should have a big hunk of green butter. i melt it down a bit in the microwave and put it in a tupperware until i use it. i recommend using it in a day or two cause it goes bad quickly. use the butter in a recipe where you'd use regular butter.

some people arent used to the eating high.. it is more of a body high. if you smoke during the same time period you may just think it was from what you smoked, but you should notice you feel high for much longer, and usually i wake up with 'pot hangover' if i eat them too late at night

have phun

One question. Are you sure you have to cook the herb butter for 5 to 6 hours? I've done it for about 45 minutes with great effects. Just wondering.

Pot Vodka, its all about Pot Vodka.

I used to have a love affair with these little french cheese pastries that come frozen and you just pop them in the oven and half an hour later you have the best imaginable pastry filled with the cheese of the Gods (some kind of creamy cheese)! That stuff cost a fortune and was imported from France - but it was worth it.

I came uppon the idea of adding hash by the following method, might work for other extremely piping hot fatty foods...

I just took one of the pastries when absolutely piping hot - cut it open (lots of steam) - then I gently heat hash in my hand and crumble it into the thoroughly melted cream cheese. Then you just mix it up with a spoon - close the pastry - and maybe pop it back in for a minute or two (not really necessary if it was truly hot to begin with and you work fast).

When done with good hash - it tastes awesome - at least I liked it! Sometimes I even used a tiny bit of hash for flavouring when I was planning to go to bed far too soon for it to kick in, just for that addictive taste!

Ah, that addictive taste!! I'd kill for one right now :)

--- G.

No Pot Vodka receipe I could find via search. Can you tell me how to do it with a small amount of bud? Lets say 1-2 grams. How much vodka with that?

groovee said:
One question. Are you sure you have to cook the herb butter for 5 to 6 hours? I've done it for about 45 minutes with great effects. Just wondering.

Pot Vodka, its all about Pot Vodka.

makin BROWNIES!

i have about 10-11 grams of shwag, and im just throwing it into a 99cent brownie mix...my friend says it works for him but he usually uses at least a half o...should i try and make more potent brownies by trying to make a "smaller batch" or just throw it into the whole mix making lots of weaker brownies? i don wanna make it too complicated, but i also don't want a weak buzz...comments? experiences? help?

Re: makin BROWNIES!

bizcochoman said:
i have about 10-11 grams of shwag, and im just throwing it into a 99cent brownie mix...my friend says it works for him but he usually uses at least a half o...should i try and make more potent brownies by trying to make a "smaller batch" or just throw it into the whole mix making lots of weaker brownies? i don wanna make it too complicated, but i also don't want a weak buzz...comments? experiences? help?

In my opinion there is no reason to make cannabutter for one pan of brownies. Just grind it up or chop it until it's pretty fine and mix it in to the batter really well and then cook them.

A pan of brownies with only 11 grams would still fuck me up. I always find brownies are way too strong for me so whenever i get one i just eat a bite of it each time I want to get high and sometimes that's still a little much.

Have fun =D

hash yogurt

can any of you help me and explain how to make a hash yogurt

well, im pretty sure alot of hash is already able to be absorbed by eating without heating simply because of the way it is made, so if that is the case you could probably just crumple it up and put it in.

This is my patented Trainspotting method of eating hash, make sure no one will walk in on you or they will think you are getting ready to shoot up some smack:

1. Take one tablespoon and fill it not quite to the brim with cooking oil.

2. Heat hash - crumble it into oil.

3. Gently heat the spoon untill it starts to bubble - try to move the flame back and forth so as to evenly heat the mixture - making sure it doesn't boil over or anything. You just want a light simmer going on. At the same time you might want to stir gently with a match or something like that - making sure it all dissolves fairly well.

4. When the contents of the spoon are basically a brown sludge - tip it into a yoghurt but DO NOT use the same spoon to stir it in - look under that spoon and you will see why (it should be black with soot).

5. Take second spoon, stir it all up - eat yoghurt.

Voila :)

--- G.

Cannabutter - Urbanhog's Style

CANNABUTTER

I am surprised that a lot of people get confused on how to make cannabutter, and I notice some people use buds, which I personally think its a total waste, but everyone is different, and if you got truckload of buds, its your choice......

Everytime I haverest a small crop, or my mates's crops, I often end up with heaps of useless leaves, (I throw away the stems/branches)sometimes I often end up with between 1/4 to 1/2 pound of leaf depending on the haverset/strain/crop.

I just grab a large stockpot used by chefs to make chicken stock, soups, etc (I get and "hire" pots from ex-workmate, since I used to work in the hospitality industry for many years)

You will need:
*as much leaf you got, if its large stockpot, about 2 to 6 ozs
*500 grams of butter (not marg.)
*1 cup of canola or veggie oil (not olive oil)
*Water -it all depends on the size of stockpot,amount of leaf, just keep filling up until the leaves is "floating" under the water

Just chuck all in a stockpot, and bring to rapid boil for about 30 mins then turn down the tempeture until it simmers, with little boiling bubbles, not rapid boil like when you cook rice or pasta, and just leave it for over 4 hours, a lot people think 2 hours is enough, well, from my 7 years experience in Canna-Cooking I and discovered that the longer you boil, the more concrerated the THC gets in cannabutter, in my way, I often boil for average 7 hours, often on sundays when I got nothing to do, just relax over nice joints and beers. Its important that you keep filling up with water now and then, just small amounts a time as water will eveporate over time.

I add butter and oil together, I find that this mix makes more "fatty" to enter our bodies in faster rate.

Grab a drainer and cover the drainer inside with a very old and thin teatowel or plain old dye-free t-shirt, and put the drainer above a large bowl, and have a kettle full of hot boiling water ready, Pour the water/pot/butter mix over the cloth covered drainer into a large bowl under.

Then you pour the hot water over the leaf to "wash" off the leftover butter sticking to the leaves.

Let the teatowl/cloth cool down then twist and squeeze the teatowel which often the last bit is the most concreated part of the butter, over a bowl.

put the bowl in the fridge overnight, and you will find that the cannabutter and water "seprated" and "hardens" on the top.

Scrap carefully, and put the floating cannabutter in other bowl,you can divide them all up into 8 serves and store them in the freezer until you need them.

CHUCK THE WATER OUT, ITS GOT NO THC, IT WONT GET YOU WASTED!!!

if you get confused about this instructions, just ask me.

P.S. - if you use oil instead of butter, you will have "canna-oil", it's usually bit more potent than cann-butter, and you might need to freeze it to seprate it for easier scrapping off if using oils.....

P.S.S - I Just realised that I forgot to add few more things as I have been getting fair bit of PM's from inspired Canna-Cooks the most common question they asked was "after the short 30 mins rapid boiling, should I cover the stockpot or not while its simmering?"

I realised that I forgot to mention either it should be covered or not....

Well, I never cover my stockpot, I personally feel that when it covered, the steam/heat is trapped inside and it gets hotter while it's simmering, I just prefer to simmer my cannabutter uncovered, to keep in nice simmering tempetures not too hot.

Also....I usually fill the stockpot with leaves and fill up with water until it reaches approx 5-10cm or so above the leaves level then add the butter and just keep topping up with water so the leaves is able to move around freely, not too much water thou. IMO.

Everytime I make my cannabutter batch, the "green colour" in the butter is often isnt the same, sometimes its light green, dark green, and golden greenish colour in its many different shades of "green colours"....

Sometimes when you use 500grams or whatever butter you use... often at the end product... it's often several grams less than what you started the butter with because you have also evorapted few bits of the butter, the "liquid" parts of the butter not the fats, so don't worry too much, you may find bit of butter actually evoraptes, I mean sometimes when you cook greasy stuff or whatever with oils/fats sometimes you notice that the walls are bit greasy? yeah... oh yeah don't bother licking the fats off the walls if you are really that tightarsed to get stoned.... hehehe

Also you can use "Ghee" instead of butter, Ghee is pure butter common used for indian cooking and can tolerence higher tempetures without burning the "butter".

I am not sure about these pressure cookers.... I am not a big fan of them, I prefer the old fashioned way of cooking....

IMPORTANTLY......And don't forget to open the kitchen windows

Goodluck!

Cheers

Urbanhog %)

Last edited:
Urbie's CANNABUTTER - PART 2, Tips to improve the butter taste

Ever had canna-cakes/cookies that tastes like shit??? sort of like "Green Taste"????

I will explain how I get rid of that "green taste"......there are two ways......

Sounds like that you must have used fair bit of shade leaves (the big main leaves) I never use the big shade leaves, they are the parts that they will give that horrible "green taste", I only use bud leaves, they are bit more potent than shade leaves, I mean they (shade leaves) will still give you the effects, but the taste will be noticeable, but if I was using shade leaves, I will only use small percentage of shade leaves and massive percentage of bud leave to prevent getting that green taste, and still manage to extract the THC from the shade leaves.

Also, it's possible that you boiled that pot/butter/water too hard/fast for bit too long (either it's buds, shade leave or bud leave), because somehow I noticed (excuse me guys, I am only explaining from my own observations/experiments)

anyway, back to the subject, if you boiled too hard too long, it somehow mades the butter "greener/dark muddy greenish" colour, and it will give that unpleasnt chlorophyll (the natural chemical in all plants that makes the plants "green" colour, I think, I am no scienist), so when you make cannabutter, ALL you want is to extract the THC from the leaves to be transferred to the fats in the butter/oils, not the chlorophyll "green" taste, so the trick is get the stockpot to boil pretty hard/fast, only for about 30-45mins tops NOT over 4-7 hours, then lower the tempeture to nice soft simmering with little boiling bubbles for long as you can....

So if you have got no choice, only got heaps of shade leaves, I suggest you to try to simmer them next time, and you will notice a huge differences in the taste, if it all fails, maybe you should add some drops of vanilla, almond or nutmeg essance, it will improve the flavour a bit, but remember if you are using one of these essances in cannabutter make sure it's only used for sweets, you don't want use sweet cannabutter in curries, casseroles, pies, soups, etc!!! .. ;)

Also you could always try to soak the leaves in room tempeture water to wash the "green" out a bit... but its very important never never use ICY COLD water... why? beacause you know these "hash bags" for making homemade hashish? they use ICY COLD water to "break the THC resins off the leaves"... so image if you soaked the water in Icy cold water and tried to make the cannabutter with the leaves that been soaked in icy cold water, might be less potent because you might find most of the resin in the bottom of the bucket if you drainned them out slowly But I rarely soak my leaves anyway because I have done it for years and I just simply know the "art" to mask the "green aftertastes"

It's not a good idea to use these moudly leaves if you want to make some butter with them... I mean if your fruits/vegetables are mouldy... will you eat them? ;)

Also it depends on some strains, some strains has strong green taste, or the leaves weren't dried properly, or used wet leaves, or it could be the growing environment, there could be plenty of reasons, I don't know....everyone knows that the subject of "cannabis" is a very large topic...that you can crap on for hours and hours.... =D

Goodluck.....Urbanhog

EFFECTS of SPACE

I was asked this question ages ago:

I have a question for Urbanhog. In your cooking practices Did you find any way of being able to predict jsut how stoned you would get on a given serving? For those who want a mild buzz or it would mean eating less, of course. But how much is 'less' and how much is 'more' and how much is 'OMG WHERE DID THAT SPACESHIP COME FROM!'?

And I replied:

Its a not easy question to answer..... but it all comes from my years of experience..... the most best way to start and work out is look at SEVERAL THINGS that you need to ask yourself first in advance before you even start:

1st: Look at the weed that are you using.... are you using hash?, buds? buds potent strain? resinous?, leaves? (shade or bud leaves?), or the tips of these small shitty buds that common seen at bottom of the plants due lack of light?, etc etc ..... How long did you simmer the weed in butter? are you using cannabutter? If using cannabutter, what was the cannabutter made with buds or leaves? how long did ya simmer for? or just fresh chopped weed directly in the food/cooking process? Or using fresh hash directly in the food/cooking process...?? Using fresh or old weed? using fresh or dried weed?

why? - because it's all depends on the quailty/potency of the weed you are using can affect the potency rates of your foods... you just need to know more information about the background of the weed that you will be preparing with... might need to use more or less.... its all depends on the weed you are using

If using just cannabutter in some cases it can be easily to "overproof/overdose/increase the potency" way more than expected because some cases you only need little or more, if just using dried buds/leaves its hard to judge in some cases you might need to use more or less.... you just need to know more information only the COOK who is preparing them knows better than what I can give you a better advice because I am not there helping you in your kitchen

2nd: ... is look at the guests that you want to cook up a storm for them..... are they low or high tolerenced when they smoke weed, meaning are they light or heavy or regular smokers?, have they eaten weed before? look at their bodies... are they skinny? average? large build? overweight? (this can affect the length to take to feel the effects, as everyone's bodies is different just our own personal DNA) they eat weed often?

why? - people have funny weird body systems... often I have guests.. where I only ate one peice of muffin and I was completed ripped and they weren't even stoned, just a slight buzz.. because of their body sizes...some big people might need to eat bit more or wait bit longer before they could even feel the effects... and if they are heavy smokers and smoked some weed before they eat some "canna-foods" and they might don't even notice much because there's already some THC in their systems...

They wont even realise that they are still actually stoned like 3-4 hours later... they like.. "shit I am stoned but I smoked weed hours ago... oh yeah it's from those cookies... oh yeah.. etc etc " for light smokers... they might get stoned easily and the stoneness is lasting them even longer, etc etc .... so it can be hard in some cases if you tired yourself beforehand and you thought it was mild, but you gave to someone who was skinner and they got even more wasted than you did in the first place, but it's a lot easier if you know your mates's past history or they have similar tolerence/body sizes as you (the cook I mean)

3rd:.... are you/the guests going to be smoking few joints/cones before or after eating "canna-foods"? have they smoked or used weed earlier in the day?

why? - it could help you better to judge the dosage rates if they plan to smoke before or after and specially if they are people with low tolerence. Or if you are trying to help them to work out their "plans" to reach a "certain" level of cannabis stone.

4th:... are they "big eaters".. do they love foods? eat a lot? or dont eat much... meaning they eat a bit and "feel full" easily? they got small or large stomaches? They unfit or fit people?

why? - sometimes... "big eaters" just can't simply help themselves, they just love food and will just eat and eat just out of habit, and if they are the big eaters type, maybe make the pot foods "low strength" because they are more likely to have a extra cookie, then extra cookie then other cookie... since if the cookies were in low dose, it wouldn't affect them too badly but if the cookies were in high/potent strength and they eat too many cookies.... it could be a unpleasant experience for some who are not used or haven't experienced massive high doses of "pot foods" because the effects is often a lot stronger and last a lot longer... up to over 5-6 hours easy in some cases...easily up to 2 days.. specially if you had a massive dose of pot foods after dinner or for dinner and you probably will be still feel pretty stoned the next day after you wake up! If they are the people that get full easily... maybe they only want small amounts of high potency canna-foods compared to others who might need twice as much of the dose than what the skinny person normally needs to reach the effects of their personal choice.

Sometime if people are fit... they have better blood circulation and heailther body systems and sometimes it can make the cannabis effects to come up and fade away quicker in some cases.... while for unfit people... maybe their blood circulation system is bit poor and it could take longer to feel the effects.

5th:... will they be using other substances/drugs along too? are they on any sort of medication?... will they be drinking few beers/wines/spirits in small doses or large doses along with eating "canna-foods"?, if they are/do... they big/heavy drinkers with high tolerence towards alcohol? do they get intoxicated on alcohol easily or not?

why? - .... eating cannabis and drinking alcohol can be a pleasant experience for some, but for some people it can be a very very unpleasant experience.. it can make you more dehyrated faster than just alcohol alone... and alcohol can speed up the THC effects faster specially if you are drinking and eating on empty stomach...

you know when you drink on empty stomach, you feel tipsy quicker? well as the THC goes and is easily absorbed by alcohol and the alcohol and THC mix very well in the blood/body system and it could go directly go faster to our brains and liver and the effects will be noticabely stronger than without mixing with alcohol even you are the same dose when you ate without alcohol... alcohol INCREASE the THC effects but not everyone enjoys the alcohol/cannabis mix.

Some other drugs and substances can increase or decrease the drug effects.. for example.."speed" or meth/amphetamines can actually "overlap" the THC's actual effects so some case you are just wasting your time sometimes maybe not.... the human brain is a strange powerful organ and still not fully understood, and everyone reacts differently when mixing cannabis/canna-foods with other medications/substances.

Even people on anti-depressants medication have reported stronger effects while on medication, while others may simply get more depressed and don't enjoy the cannabis's magical effects at all. So the doseage rates is very hard to judge for people who are on medication, or mixing with other drugs/substances.

6th... what kind of "food" you have in mind? they fussy eaters... on special diet, got any allergics? got heart problems? they chemically senstive? they only eat vegetables/fruits? they refuse to eat dairy/egg/meat products? food snobs? low/medium/high fatty foods? using "healthy fats or unhealthy fats"? you using high fibre or low fibre foods?

why? - if you want to impress them for the THC effects, or the food? or the both or foods without the canna-aftertaste? Do they just want to enjoy the THC effects mainly or both? Its even better to see them so pleased and enjoyed the eating experience. Believe me I know

If they are on special diet? you might need to change some foods that could be low fat which you could might have to increase the cannabis used or cannot use the cannabutter because of its high fat content. And some fats are made from dairy products or animal fats depending what you are preparing/cooking. Because Cannabis's main psychoactive chemical, Tetrahydrocannabinol, or delta 9 THC, commonly known as just "THC" is often easily soluble in oil/fat bases, so meaning people with heart problems are often on low fat diet, so you might have to try make extra potent canna-butter so you use less canna-butter which might contant less fats than using a standard doses of canna-butter.

High/low fibre foods can affect the length of time to feel the THC effects because the high fibre foods like beans, bread, etc etc take a while to work and dissolve in your stomach so it will take extra time to reach your liver and get the THC's start working.

For the chemical senstive... is the weed homegrown or commerically grown, that you don't know the weed's growing history? There's so much chemicals in commerical crops and some people could get chemical allergic reaction if it was consumed orally. It pretty important this part especially for people who are seriouslly ill and they immune system is weak.

7th:...they recreation or medicial users? they just want to get completely wasted or just get wasted for the "sake of weed".... just want to eat for "social reasons" or "medicial reasons for their condition"? they want to ease the pains but not get too "stoned"?, they want to eat weed while still be able to be bit socialable while chatting to others? or just want to nod off and pass out in "semi-coma"?

why? - I think only you can answer that... ask the "guests" you are cooking weed for. Each person has their own preferences, so you work out from there. ;)

8th: .... what you "plan" to make... for breakfast? morning tea? lunch? afternoon tea? dinner? desserts? snacks? you want to make a "lunch/dinner" party? what to have pot in every single course from starters to main course to desserts without they passing out halfway the main course or dessert? Or just "want" some snacks for munchies?

why? - because this could be the ANSWER you are looking for.... its all about practise and experience.... its easier to have alll foods in LOW DOSAGES if they are the type that enjoy "eating foods" so they can work out the dosages that suits them

The answer I really can give you is use your COMMON SENSE and judgement... only you can work out because I dont know the people, only you.... are they medicial users just want small amounts of foods with high THC content or low THC content?

well............

even I have been cooking with cannabis for nearly 9 years... I still don't know the actual answer.... everyone is different and have different tolerence levels... you just have to ask the people the questions yourself and do bit of digging on their history.... the best and safest way for people who just want low buzz is cook with small amounts or weed/hash/cannabutter.... people who just want to get completed wasted... cook and find receipes that use high cannabutter content like mudcakes, etc etc

If I ever open a cannabis foods cafe... I will have a menu with wide range of foods with high THC content foods and low THC content foods and split into low and high fat groups for people who want to get the effects faster or slower if they want to enjoy the meal all the way their "dining experience" without passing out halfway face down on their dinner plates hehe....

Hope I have given you bit of points and directions towards to your question...

Sorry for the long post... I was trying to explain in the WHOLE picture from many different point of views.....

Cheers.... Urbanhog %)

Ok i have a few questions. I live in an apartment complex but my neighbors really aren't to close. If i were to cook up some Canna-Butter to make some cookies how bad do you think my place would smell? Do you think it would reak outside or my neighbors would smell it? Anyone with experience making canna-butter how bad does it make your house stink? & how long? I live alone im just worried about my neighbors.

Also on a side note most people making these recipes your using dank right? Thats a little costly to be using an oz of but if it has a good outcome ill do it. Has anyone tried doing it with an oz of midgrades or something? i dont smoke it because its to harsh and gross but if your just using it to extract thc and discard plant material would it still work well for cooking?

and to 'dankoholic'... i read about the pot butter on another thread; somewhere in the 'aus/nz/middle east choof recipie thread' ... apparently it makes your place reek like hell, and from what i read, you can use leaf if you want.... id probably use mids or lows or even leaf, and just use a little more, if its cheaper..... but if money and dank are not really a concern, just go for the dank man.... use that sticky icky

is there any way to make buds edible FAST

I was thinking of drizzling the bud with melted butter then microwaving for a couple of minutes. would this work? if not, what would work? I CBF making cakes.

It doesn't smell any worse than smoking, It just lingers longer because you are gently simmering for 12+ hours. I only use mid grade or less when cooking. Save the dank for smoking. You should be fine in an apartment, just put a towl under the frond door ;)

Re: is there any way to make buds edible FAST

themagicmushroom said:
I was thinking of drizzling the bud with melted butter then microwaving for a couple of minutes. would this work? if not, what would work? I CBF making cakes.

That would hardly extract any thc from the bud, if you are in such a hurry, just grind it up really fine and use it in the recipe. Other wise take the time to make butter or oil.

Alright thanx for the answer, if it doesn't smell much worse than smoking it it shouldn't be a problem cause i constantly blaze the dank in my apartment & im not to worried about it lingering out the front door cause my apartment is actually like a town home, its two storys. I got my living room and everything downstairs and a fat kitchen and bedrooms upstairs. I just don't want it to reak so bad my neighbors smell it. Also you sad simmer for 12+ hours? i've heard anything from simmer for 45 min to simmer for 12+ hours. Does it really need to be simmered in the butter for that long? 12+ hours of simmer that shit would make my place reak for dayz. Thanx for the help man. Anybody else have any experience on how bad it will make your place reak & how long i should simmer it for?