Votes: 11 52.4%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 5 23.8%

• Total voters

mariacallas

Bluelight Crew
tbcsweeney784213uy0.jpg

072807sweeneytoddposteriz9.jpg

A hit musical and now a big screen adaptation starring Johnny Depp and directed by Tim Burton......Sweeney Todd tells the take of a serial killer barber who loves to murder his victims with a straight razor and who's girlfriend loves to turn the murdered bodies into meat pies.

Looks awesome and I can't wait to see this ! (showing sometime January 2008)

Trivia:
This is the sixth Johnny Depp-Tim Burton collaboration. They previously made Edward Scissorhands (1990), Ed Wood (1994), Sleepy Hollow (1999), Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005), and Corpse Bride (2005) together.

=D

did you put those pink stars in yourself ? ;)

^nah, the image came from this gay dudes blog and he loves putting pink stuff on the images :eek:

I saw this tonight at a preview screening and really enjoyed it. It is very faithful to the musical overall, with not many of the songs left out. Depp and Bonham Carter can actually sing, although HBC is by far the weaker of the two. I was prepared for quite a lot of gore, and it exceeded even *my* expectations. The sets and costuming were phenomenal, especially in Mrs. Lovett's fantasy sequence.

One thing that annoyed me greatly were all of the people complaining at the end about how much singing there was. People, it's a MUSICAL!!!! There is very, very little dialogue. No more bitching!!

At this point, I doubt that Burton and Depp could ever make a bad film together.

Can it be poll tiemz nao?

Au contraire, Sleepy Hollow was good, it was just Christina Ricci who sucked. And Charlie was an amazing film. Yes, the original was better, but it's still head and shoulders above most of the crap tossed at movie screens these days.

%) i loooved Sleepy Hollow and Charlie & the Chocolate Factory. STFU brian. :p

I think this looks good, but on the other hand I hate musicals. How traditional a musical is this? Moreover, how good is the music? Is it good aside from the musical aspect?

Inquiring minds want to know.

film: sweeney todd

oohh more sexy johnny and with burton... double plus

add poll*

^^^Can you edit the title too? It's obviously already out now, not in 2008. Thanks!

It's a shame so many people have a negative knee-jerk reaction to movie musicals. I blame Paint Your Wagon.

Musicals have come a long way since the Freed Unit at MGM was pumping out a new one every 9 months. Not that I mind watching Gene Kelly tap dance his way around a studio backlot, but it has a certain amount of soggy, 1950s theatrical flair and pomp that rubs homophobes the wrong way. Their loss. The success of recent musicals like Chicago have reinvented the genre in what I think is a very positive way and injected it with new mainstream interest which is good; the subject matter in Sweeney Todd (serial killing barbers and cannibalism) is very different as far as musicals go but Burton's unique style is a perfect counterpoint for it.

The set design and costuming were very well done and exactly what you would expect from Burton - Gothic spires, dark cobblestone streets, lots of washed out tones and desaturated colors. There's very little light or color in the movie except for one memorable fantasy sequence and the blood which is bright, bright red for a little contrast.

The throat slitting is highly stylized, and the blood spurts out at 300 psi. It's pretty fantastic and much more tasteful than the sensationalistic blood letting of Kill Bill. There are only 5 or 6 principal acting parts, but the performances were very good all around (they've stolen half the cast of Harry Potter). Sacha Baron Cohen and the bulge in his tights make a memorable appearance as Mr. Todd's rival. The singing is pretty good (God bless you post production), and there is a lot of it, but dialogue and singing are interwoven together pretty smoothly. The closing tableau style scene, with the puddles of bright red blood and the fortissimo pounding of the orchestra was fan-fucking-tastic.

I applaud the studios for rolling the dice on this; musicals are a gamble, and a musical about a knife wielding barber who puts his victims into pies is even more so because you can't bank on the family demographic, and even though teens love gore they might not like it so much when it's being sung at them. In today's Hollywood, it's nice to see something different. Fortunately, Depp's star power and some creative financing kept it afloat and the result is a genuinely entertaining, highly different, macabre and stylishly produced musical like you probably haven't seen before.

I have to admit that I am NOT a fan of cinematic musicals; "Chicago" ruined it for me...I hated that film, especially when it stole all the Oscar's from "Gangs of New York" that year, but I digress...

I went and saw "Sweeny Todd" last night despite the fact that I new it was going to be a musical, and it was fucking amazing. I was highly impressed, and even though when the songs first started I was dissapointed, by the middle of the film I was actually looking forward to each upcoming song.

Depp+Carter ftw =D

i'm eager to see, and this definitely seems like your kind of movie twixie. :)

pennywise said:
I think this looks good, but on the other hand I hate musicals. How traditional a musical is this? Moreover, how good is the music? Is it good aside from the musical aspect?

Inquiring minds want to know.

These are my exact questions as well. I like Depp, I like Burton, the story looks cool, but I HATE musicals.

Did anyone here who typically hates musicals see this and like it?

eon_blue said:
I went and saw "Sweeny Todd" last night despite the fact that I new it was going to be a musical, and it was fucking amazing. I was highly impressed, and even though when the songs first started I was dissapointed, by the middle of the film I was actually looking forward to each upcoming song.

Ok, I this is a good reply to my above questions. Didn't see it before my first posting.

I think I am going to go ahead and see the film, despite my normal hatred for all things "theater" (including musicals).

My friend, and I went to see this last sunday, I think...
Anyways my mom (StellaBlue) took us there, and Me and Kadejah (my friend)
didn't want to be in the same movie, so we went into another movie called Water Horse. that was a good movie, but we went back to Sweeney todd like 30 min. before it ended and I loved the ending! it was so good.=D