• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

AU: Rare hallucinogenic drug PMA kills man

E-llusion

Bluelight Crew
Police are warning people to steer clear of party drugs after a 20-year-old NSW man died of a suspected overdose of a rare and toxic hallucinogen.

The death, which occurred at a party in Canberra earlier this month, is being investigated by police on behalf of the ACT Coroner.

Initial toxicology results indicate the presence of the extremely toxic hallucinogenic drug PMA or para-methoxyamphetamine.

It is the first time a screening test in the ACT has revealed the presence of PMA, police said.

PMA is known to have similar effects to ecstasy but is far more potent. Previous interstate deaths attributed to PMA indicate that users believed they were taking ecstasy.

In February this year 20-year-old Sydney woman Annabelle Catt died when she took PMA, thinking it was ecstasy.

Detective Superintendent Brian McDonald, head of the Territory Investigations Group, said while the cause of death was still to be properly determined, the presence of PMA was a major concern.

"We must strongly advise people against taking these dangerous drugs because users simply don't know what they are taking," he said.

"The drug you take could be seriously life-threatening."

Symptoms of PMA ingestion can include increases in pulse rate and blood pressure, elevated body temperature, erratic eye movements, muscle spasms, nausea, cardiac arrhythmia and arrest, breathing problems, renal failure, vomiting, convulsions and coma.

Doses of PMA over 50mg are considered potentially lethal, especially when combined with other drugs or alcohol.

One ecstasy tablet can contain between 120mg to 200mg.

Details of the victim have not been released.

--------------------------------------------------------
Rare hallucinogenic drug PMA kills man
July 23, 2007
http://www.theage.com.au/news/National/Rare-hallucinogenic-drug-PMA-kills-man/2007/07/23/1185043024840.html

Is it pretty common for PMA to be substituted in pills now-a-days, let's say like methamphetamine has? I've read about PMA a little bit and to stear clear of it, but is it more abundant in certain areas of the globe?

Police are warning people to steer clear of ............ a rare and toxic hallucinogen.

Symptoms of PMA ingestion can include increases in pulse rate and blood pressure, elevated body temperature, erratic eye movements, muscle spasms, nausea, cardiac arrhythmia and arrest, breathing problems, renal failure, vomiting, convulsions and coma.

Hmmmm. Nothing about hallucinations there. The old shock-horror "this is one of them deadly drugs that makes you see things that aren't there" type headlines.

E

(p.s. ..... although I'm not disputing that it's deadly)

It's a good reminder to everyone for everyone to get an EZ-test kit.

It's a shame, this guy was just looking to have a good night and unfortunately he got burned. Another blow to the already low reputation of 'club drugs' and ecstasy. The people who synthesize PMA are assholes. They should just press bunk pills or caffine/dxm/meth pills instead of pressing pills that are going to kill someone.

Crazeee said:
"We must strongly advise people against taking these dangerous drugs because users simply don't know what they are taking," he said.

So legalize MDMA already! Geez, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to recognize that people are going to take E regardless of your "strong advice". So legalize it and people can be sure they are not taking poison.

I dont think PMA will ever be an epidemic. It would be much nicer if they had listed the pill consumed. Im sure he or someone around him had some more.

^the precursers to make PMA are unwatched, unlike those used in MDMA production. therefore, they can be purchased without raising suspicion, and thus are a lot cheaper. so yes, PMA is cheaper (and less suspicious to make) than MDMA.

EntheoDjinn said:
Hmmmm. Nothing about hallucinations there. The old shock-horror "this is one of them deadly drugs that makes you see things that aren't there" type headlines.

E

(p.s. ..... although I'm not disputing that it's deadly)

as someone who lived through a pma overdose, id have to say there is hallucinations. but alot more puking and cold sweats, which make it kind of hard to look around and see the hallucinations

btw it is a pretty fun drug at very low doses

From the above description it sounds like piperazines on a grander scale. I thought I had read somewhere that PMA was a byproduct of lazy/faulty MDMA synthesis. I don't buy street pills so am not sure, but it sounds like there are pills in certain areas that have some amounts of PMA or are just altogether dodgy. Is this intentional or just a case of bad pseudo-chemists trying to make a quick buck?

ermm

PMA is not a byproduct of MDMA synthesis

mdma is normally made from safrole

but PMA is synthed via anethole.

so it not sloppy work its deliberate.

A quick question for anyone in the know..

Was it just PMA? if it was, why aren't there lots more people who have died from this batch of pills and or being hospitalised?

Australia has had more PMA deaths than any other country in the world combined. This is the second this year.

Ameteur chemists often play around with their new lab toys and make PMA as it is similar to producing MDMA or MDA and the chemicals used aren't watched and are cheap.

I think some people like to cut their shitty impure first batch of MDMA when they make it and think "well I can't throw away all this PMA... it's still a drug", and cut the MDMA with it. They would also be thinking, if a presser makes each pill the standard 70-90mg or so then PMA shouldn't be a fatal problem and add to the "kick" and length of the pill so they delude themselves into thinking it is okay. The pressers may not even know they are getting PMA. They would pill test the crystals/powder, see they test black, maybe use Robadope and see a primary amine, but assume it is MDA mixed with MDMA. This cut MDMA will probably be attractive too as it is cheaper.

Only a person with absolutely no respect for human life would press pills with pma in them.

Its common knowledge that some users will take 3-10 rolls at once or over the course of a night. This easily kills people taking pma pills or capsules.

Some people will take anything thats given to them. People dont realize that ecstacy is pretty much made by low lifes in their bathtubs etc and they can put whatever the hell they want in it, thats why the pill testing kits were made. I personally wont let my friends take E unless they get their pills tested first, its not that hard or much trouble to do, and it could save your life. I have heard of incidents where people couldnt buy from their usual guy and got rolls from a less known source, and sure enough when tested the pills contained dxm and mdma or in some cases even amphetamines and mdma which if you took enough could definitly put someone into cardiac arrest!

Although it's possible for amphetamines and mdma to put you into cardiac arrest, I'd say it's highly unlikely to happen. I know plenty of people who mix meth with mdma, and heaps of pills out there have both, and it's pretty rare that someone goes into cardiac arrest with them unless there's a pre existing problem.

I'm suprised I hadn't heard about this already, I'm from Canberra where this happened (it's only a town of 350,000-400,000 or so people too!) and I hadn't heard about this. Usually word of this kind of thing gets around pretty quick in our little community.

|>R()|)!G/-\|_ said:
Too bad the article doesn't say what the press was. It could save some lives.

Yeah, unfortunately he didn't really have any way of telling them what press he took