Info The 'How Can I Change My Username?' MEGATHREAD (ANSWER: "YOU CAN'T")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Youkai

Ex-Bluelighter
I would like it changed, if at all possible please contact me if this would be something that could be done.

I suspesct there is some way, Sim0n recently changed his name, but I don't know if the average Bler can do it, why do you wanna change it? You could just make a new profile, it'll only set you back 1254 posts :)

this has been asked by many in support. since you cannot even use the search function, you will definitely not be able to change your handle.

sim0n is a senior mod.

^i am also pretty sure that sim0n revived an old account, as opposed to changing his handle.

infinite jest said:
I'll give the story from the beginning:

my original name was Simon, I got it changed to Infinite Jest as a favour. That account autobahned for reasons that I won't go into, and I re-registered with the Sim0n account (couldn't re-use Simon because it was still hard-coded in the db as an existing account, even though the display name had changed).

A kindly admin merged the two accounts for me, giving me my old name and join date, and a combined post count.

(This is one of, perhaps the only, perk that is offered to mods ).

After searching a little, many people have pointed out that the BL policy is no name changes, but as we've witnessed, there have clearly been occasions where someone has changed his/her name, but as I said, it's not likely that it will be done for a BLer. Another example would be digitalduality's name change : http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=314407 [see post 8]

Last edited:
L2R said:
this has been asked by many in support. since you cannot even use the search function, you will definitely not be able to change your handle.

sim0n is a senior mod.

Good points and if I could add some of my own words without actually saying anything useful it would be that the answer is NO as it usually is and that some of the recent exceptions some people have pointed out are either staff, or past staff, or someone who has contributed a lot to the site overall and wouldn't stoop to skipping the search function for something they could answer themselves as I would have expected from someone who's been around as long as you have but thats water under the bridge and since my sentence is running on I'll just end it now with the missing punctuation you've been waiting for >PERIOD<

ahem...

NO >PERIOD<

I changed my name a million times. Just re-register.

After the big thing where all the old names lost their passwords I just haven't really cared what my posting name was, it won't have a cool reg date anyway.

I need to change my name

My user name, that is. When I joined I don't think I realized that it was a completely public forum. Maybe it wasn't. I didn't know that the contents are googleable. And I sure as hell didn't realize that my father's life would become so empty after he retired that I would seriously need to worry about having an internet stalker.

I generally don't like to fool around with a thousand different user names. Part of this is about the Swiss Cheese Brain Syndrome, but mostly it's about a bizarro sense of integrity. I know there are a ton of good reasons to switch it up, hell- I just listed 3 of them. But on common interest forums, you've got to expect you'll run in to the same people time and again. With consistent user names you can save a lot of time not having to rediscover who's full of shit vs. who knows their shit. I like running into old friends in new places. And, basically in line with the first thing I mentioned, it's an integrity thing and I don't want to feel like I might be acting deceptively. If you had issues or got moronic advice from "sameasiteverwas" on another board, you'd want fair warning that clicking on one of my threads could lead to hypertension and elevated plasma concentration levels of annoyance.

Unfortunately, my u/n is unique enough that entering it into a search engine produces absolutely nothing but links to my posts on the three open boards where I've used it. And while the content of those- unlike here- is acutely personal and nothing I want to share with anyone IRL, it's also (mostly) nothing that would get me disowned.

Basically: How, if at all, can I change my user name without losing affiliation to previous posts?

Thanks you very much.
Note to mods: Really doesn't need to be moved once it's answered, unless there's something within that might ignite discussion. In which case, please move to, um. . . the forum where people debate the nature of Good and Evil on the Internet.(?)

Can't be done; register a new user name and start again.

Sorry.

A lot of our members have been through something similar.

The 'NO WE WON'T CHANGE YOUR USERNAME' megathread

Is it possible to change my username? I want it to be "PilL FreaK" instead of "Neo incapacitator".
Thanks

No you can't, and do you really want to be PilL FreaK?? Then again, neo incapacitator....;)

there are a lot of screen names on this board with "pill", you have a cool sounding name why do you wanna be ordinary:)

i've always thought Neo Incapacitator was a cool name. Pill Freak is probably one of the worst i've ever heard mate, seriously. that's so 1999. :\

but as the others said, we don't change people's usernames. you've only got 30-odd posts, so just re-register if you really must...

by the way, there are currently 278 usernames with the word 'pill' in the title. ;)

Ok thanks anyways! and what do you mean with -odd posts?
By the way now that i think of it, Neo Incapacitator sounds cool! :D

Neo Incapacitator said:
Ok thanks anyways! and what do you mean with -odd posts

lol, it's a saying. 30-odd posts is like saying 30-or so posts. not that your posts are odd, although they could be ;)

Neo Incapacitator said:
Ok thanks anyways! and what do you mean with -odd posts?
i think that must be a scottish-ism. i just meant 30-ish. i see you're up to 40-ish now. :)

felix said:
i think that must be a scottish-ism. i just meant 30-ish. i see you're up to 40-ish now. :)

Nah man, we say that in he US all the time. Such as, "the Lakers scored 90-odd points in that game". Actually, I don't know if other people say it or if its just me... I'll need to pay more attention to conversation and see if I'm the only one saying it.
I have picked up a LOT of slang from here, mostly from you guys up in the U.K., and when I use it I tend to confuse a lot of people and sound pretentious.

Status
Not open for further replies.