• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

films: Horror films from your childhood that still scare today

New Beginning

Bluelighter
I was chatting with friends about horror films we saw as teenagers that manage to scare us no matter how old we are now or how many times we've seen it. For me 'Halloween' (the original) is the keeper - it's the only film that has consistently scared me every time I've seen it, from the first time when I was 14 'till now (when I'm 25).

'The Exorcist' seems to be another one - some people seem to be consistently scared by it no matter how many times they're seen it or how old they are now compared to when they first saw it.

So the question is - what horror film still reliably gives you the heeby-geeby's? Is there a classic you saw as a teenager that still makes you want to sleep with the lights on?

From Beyond (1986) scared the shit out of me when I was a kid. I still get a bad feeling thinking about it now, although I haven't watched it recently. You know what, I think I'm going to ;).

i was a huge horror fan as a kid, and saw just about every film i could get my hands on. i would pick the videos at blockbuster that had the covers on em hidden bc they were so bad :D i have seen just about every horror movie i have ever heard of and more, and the worst for me ever, and still to this day that gives me the willies is the clown in poltergeist at the foot of the bed. that scene bugs the hell out of me still!

David Lynch's The Elephant Man

Apparently, that's what happens when your parents try to teach you an important life lesson at 5.

this was an oldie when i saw it.. my dad went away on a business trip.. and my mom let my sister and I watch it.. Vincent Price's House of Wax
stanley13art2.jpg

DarthMom said:
and the worst for me ever, and still to this day that gives me the willies is the clown in poltergeist at the foot of the bed. that scene bugs the hell out of me still!

The part of Poltergeist that disturbed me the most is when the guy put his piece of chicken down and when he looked at it again maggots started crawling all over it. I was 6 or 7 when I saw it and I went a good 6 months without eating steak or chicken cause I couldn't get that scene out of my head.
That might be more of a gross out than scare but it had a big effect.
I grew up in the slasher heyday of the 80's and most of them seem freaking ridiculous and silly as an adult. But then again, I hate horror movies, except old 1930's ones. I just don't like the whole "human suffering as entertainment" thing.

atlas said:
critters...

its not even that scarry, either

critters.gif

i LOVE Critters! nyahahahaha! Well......its actually the opposite, as most of the stuff that scared me back when I was little I actually find funny and entertaining now. Think....Evil Dead 1, Mausoleum, etc. I suppose you could say the Omen 1 and Amityville Horror 1 and 2: the Possession still gives me a pretty good fright nowadays ;)

House on Haunted Hill - Vincent Price
The Thing from Another World

FREDDY!

i used to watch them with my babysitter, and they gave me horrible nightmares. and yet i still watched. i love horror movies, but i don't like to watch any of the 'nightmare on elm streets' because i still can't believe that i was a little kid watching that.

xena said:
FREDDY!

i used to watch them with my babysitter, and they gave me horrible nightmares. and yet i still watched. i love horror movies, but i don't like to watch any of the 'nightmare on elm streets' because i still can't believe that i was a little kid watching that.

I will say this about Nightmare On Elm Street: it was the only slasher movie that had any more than -4 original ideas.

Alien. That movie still scares the shit out of me but I still watch it and the other films. Im intrigued by it for some reason.