• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

This is your brain on ecstasy (Oxytocin, new article, not old propaganda one)

lifeisforliving

Bluelighter
Source: Discover Magazine, July 2007

neurons_on_ecstasy_-_oxytocin.JPG

Past research has attributed at least part of the "love effect" of Ecstasy to an increase in brain levels of the natural anti¬depressant serotonin. Australian neuropharmacologist lain Mc¬Gregor, of the University of Syd¬ney, has another explanation. He says Ecstasy users are under the influence of a massive surge of oxytocin-the brain's "love" hormone, normally released dur¬ing nursing or orgasm-which cements pair bonds.

Earlier research had shown that Ecstasy causes an increase in blood levels of oxytocin, but because the hormone doesn't readily cross the blood-brain barrier, no one was certain whether it was responsible for the feelings of empathy, eupho¬ria, and openness reported by users. After giving rats the hu¬man equivalent of two to three Ecstasy tablets, McGregor found that the drug activated oxytocin-containing neurons in the hypothalamus, the part of the brain that normally releases the hormone. Moreover, when McGregor then gave the rats an oxytocin blocker, the Ecstasy¬induced social behavior-lying next to each other and cud¬dling-ail but disappeared.

So just how long might an Ecstasy-instigated relationship last? "There was an old bumper sticker in California that said 'Don't get married for 6 months after Ecstasy' -that could be the approximate length of time, but who knows?" McGregor says. A more specific answer could be coming soon: Mc¬Gregor is currently devising an experiment to test whether rats prefer to be with rats they've taken Ecstasy with.
Boonsri Dickinson

After giving rats the hu¬man equivalent of two to three Ecstasy tablets
I wonder how much he actually gave them

Interesting article, but cannot the question, whether the bonding under the influence of mdma is long lasting or not, be answered with people?

Just ask anyone who has used the drug while around strangers?

Then again rolling with others is an intimate expirience, and if you did the same activities as you do when on e, while not on e, it would still leave quite an impression on you I guess.

the bonds are real

however staying with felow rollers and seeing that in the morning they are distant and unamused, compared with the love and care last night, is a harsh reminder of what the drug induces.

if u roll with strangers and leave while still high however, bonds may remain there. ESPECIALLY if the next time u meet them u are both high again (ravers etc)

Earlier research had shown that Ecstasy causes an increase in blood levels of oxytocin, but because the hormone doesn't readily cross the blood-brain barrier, no one was certain whether it was responsible for the feelings of empathy, eupho¬ria, and openness reported by users. After giving rats the hu¬man equivalent of two to three Ecstasy tablets, McGregor found that the drug activated oxytocin-containing neurons in the hypothalamus, the part of the brain that normally releases the hormone. Moreover, when McGregor then gave the rats an oxytocin blocker, the Ecstasy¬induced social behavior-lying next to each other and cud¬dling-ail but disappeared.

I wonder if this also happens with psychedelics that can cause similar euphoric feelings?

Also perhaps depletion of oxytocin can be related to some of the negative after effects of MDMA, and if so, maybe there is a precursor supplement for oxytocin similar to how 5-HTP is used as a pre/post load for serotonin depletion.

Interesting research for sure. I always thought the serotonin model for MDMA's effects was too simplistic and reductionist.

e1evene1even said:
I wonder if this also happens with psychedelics that can cause similar euphoric feelings?

Also perhaps depletion of oxytocin can be related to some of the negative after effects of MDMA, and if so, maybe there is a precursor supplement for oxytocin similar to how 5-HTP is used as a pre/post load for serotonin depletion.

Interesting research for sure. I always thought the serotonin model for MDMA's effects was too simplistic and reductionist.

The increase in serotonin is believed to be the reason for the increase in oxytocin as SSRIs pretty much kill the effects of MDMA.

hmmmmm, my fiance and I are (literally) obsessed with each other, and have been for years (almost 7 now). We rolled a lot together (and I mean a L O T), I wonder if that's a part of the reason why we are the way we are today? We're that type of unique couple that never fights, completely hates being apart from each other, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised. Phenethylamine is believed to be involved in the "infatuation stage" of "romantic love" (its also in Chocolate), so its not out of the question that your bonding stage with your partner was made stronger by you use of compounds of the phenethylamine family.

The opposite can also easily happen (chemically induced "love" which quickly fades), so if there wasn't a real connection to start with, you could only fake it so long with "drugs".

Just consider yourself lucky.

e1evene1even said:
Just consider yourself lucky.
I do!

Although if we'd only been together 3 years, and we rolled every month of those 3 years, I'd be worried that maybe it was all just the chems!! But we were together before we ever even tried the stuff, and heavy use stopped ages and ages ago, although we do still try to get a couple sessions in annually.

"precursor supplement for oxytocin"
you can just snort this stuff, or vaporate it or something

there is a commercial product availeble called "liquid trust"

any data on that liquid trust stuff? Chemically induced oxytocin boost? I'd imagine there's some abuse potential there, but the product you mention is a spray on cologne type stuff, and its webpage had all the credibility of a typical pheromone ad.

I've bought from what seemed like a legit company a nasal spray bottle containing Oxytocin. Did absolutely jack.

What do you mean it did jack? How would you even determine that? It isn't a stimulant or intoxicant. Oxytocin will have effects on your thought process and emotional state.

Meaning I felt no different, no loss of anxiety(and I tend toward social anxiety), nothing at all. Not to mention Oxytocin's half-life is all of three minutes so constant sniffing would be in order.

bingalpaws said:
any data on that liquid trust stuff? Chemically induced oxytocin boost? I'd imagine there's some abuse potential there, but the product you mention is a spray on cologne type stuff, and its webpage had all the credibility of a typical pheromone ad.
liquid trust does seem to work anecdotally to make ppl trust you better, but i havent heared of it being effective for anxiety, maybe the dose is too low or something

If there's 1 thing I know, it's that anecdotal reports on products of this nature are utterly useless (zero offense meant). Does anyone know, chemically, the validity of an oxytocin boosting chemical as claimed in that product?

Isn't the empathy from mdma, that unique part that makes it more than just a psychedelic stimulant, largely oxytocin (am I reading that article correctly?)?

If so, hell, couldn't some amphetamine+oxytocin precursor+mild psychedelic be quite a new party pill?

There is a study,which I will try to find. That gave oxytocin to test if it built trust between two strangers (through trust of a financial transaction where trust would give more $$$, and lack of trust less $).

Oxytocin - if there is a way to boost/release it will be - combined with some other known drugs - be possibly the most powerful drug cocktail ever made for "love and passion" feelings. I believe from what I have read that Oxytocin will be eventually known as the main "emotional bonding" chemical.