Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

16,000,000 Vicodins Stolen

bri2u2002

Bluelighter
Painkillers Stolen Downstate, Value Estimated At $80 Million
WBBM 780
July 4, 2007

CHICAGO (WBBM) -- Authorities released details Tuesday about a stolen truck containing millions of painkillers, with an estimated value between $32 to $80 million, that was headed to Gurnee before it was taken from a downstate truck-stop.

WBBM's Steve Miller reports.

Authorities say the stolen drug, hydocodone aslo know as vicodin, has a street value of as much as $80 million.

About 16 million doses stolen were stolen from the truck on June 17th at a truck-stop near Troy, Ill., according to authorities. The truck was en route from California to a drug distributor in Gurnee.

Scott Collier of the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration says each dose is potentially worth $2 to $5 on the street. Street value: $32 million to $80 million.

His thoughts when he heard about the stolen truck?

"How extraordinary. And we were incredibly concerned."

Concerned because Collier says Chicago, St. Louis, Milwaukee, and other metropolitan areas are burgeoning black markets for hydrocodone.

Link

Story added to post, please do this in the future. -n4k33n
I saw on the news that 16 million Hydro pills were stolen in Illinois and should be on the black-market soon.

Do you think that will drive down prices at all???

Last edited by a moderator:
It'll drive prices down for dealers and people close to the source. I wouldn't expect the average price for single pills to go down.

Get an article up and follow the DITM guidelines or else this'll get closed.

oooh boy... if they get caught that's a loooong time in prison. Damn I wish I knew that person though... hmmm just give me a couple thousand and i'll be alright.

to the heroes:
well done, have fun!!! if you should come to xxxxxxx you can stay a few nights at my flat ;-)

Look for abnormal sales of laxatives in that area and finding the culprits shouldn't be that hard :D

thats crazy. ive always thought about a job like that, stealing a truck loaded with pharms on its way to a distributor. or leaving from the manufacturer. it would be cool if it was a bunch of oxy, vicodin is kinda weak, but with that much of it. you could do a CWE in a swimming pool.

Wow, that is crazy...good score for them...too bad it is hydrocodone and not something I am actually interested in (or that I would even be able to get any of the 16,000,000 of them anyway). If I were them, I would try to get rid of them all as fast as possible for cheap...they may be worth $80,000,000 on the street but I am sure even $1,000,000 would probably be more money than the robbers have ever been close to getting, but they will probably be greedy or something like everyone is.

I want to know who fucked up so badly that this was able to happen. You probably would have trouble stealing one vicodin if it was taken by the police. Unless it was an inside job...then they should try for something better next time.

If there is that much need for vicodin that they would have 16,000,000 in one truck, it just goes to show how much america uses and depends on opiates...yet for some reason we still put many people in jail all the time because of them...what a waste of time and money.

I'm guessing they have a buyer lined up, ready and waiting, and that it was stolen to order. Otherwise they're going to have 16 million pills sitting around and I think that's enough to bring on a stroke for anyone!

medicine cabinet said:
thats crazy. ive always thought about a job like that, stealing a truck loaded with pharms on its way to a distributor. or leaving from the manufacturer. it would be cool if it was a bunch of oxy, vicodin is kinda weak, but with that much of it. you could do a CWE in a swimming pool.

Stealing loads of OC was common at one point(I'm not sure if it still is). Purdue even put RFID tags on their bottles. It seems quite pointless though, it's not like they were tracked by gps.

when i worked at a pharmaceutical warehouse, they were making a big deal about putting RFID tags on everything. Where i worked it wasn't even for the control substances. It was mainly just so when that one $1000 bottle of medicine gets stuck in a flow rack, or put in the wrong overstock, they'd be able to find it...within the warehouse.
i don't work there anymore, but when i was working there someone stole a bottle of 100 OC 80's. i wish it were me, but it wasn't :(
when they found out i had a drug problem they automatically assumed i must have stolen it....oh well that was over a year ago

Passive RFID tags don't work that way, the tag has to be within a few feet of the reader to be read. So I don't see you could find a bottle in a warehouse unless they had readers every few feet.

dankstersauce said:
when i worked at a pharmaceutical warehouse, they were making a big deal about putting RFID tags on everything. Where i worked it wasn't even for the control substances. It was mainly just so when that one $1000 bottle of medicine gets stuck in a flow rack, or put in the wrong overstock, they'd be able to find it...within the warehouse.
i don't work there anymore, but when i was working there someone stole a bottle of 100 OC 80's. i wish it were me, but it wasn't :(
when they found out i had a drug problem they automatically assumed i must have stolen it....oh well that was over a year ago

That blows...no way they would believe you...you could have been clean for 50 years and they wouldn't believe you...but damn that must have been a very hard place to work without being tempted to take anything...i know i would have a lot of trouble.

garuda said:
Passive RFID tags don't work that way, the tag has to be within a few feet of the reader to be read. So I don't see you could find a bottle in a warehouse unless they had readers every few feet.
move the reader around?