European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

What book are you currently reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The cliche i'd argue (though having not read any since 1999) is the poor abused child done good. Just seemed like a cross between the start of charlie and the chocolate factory and the worst witch. I just felt the language was simplistic and that there are far far better children's writers out there. Just feel it's unfair that hype driven rubbish (in my opinion) has done so much better; and that although it's getting children reading which is good that it's all they're reading. I'm not entirely sure from where my bitterness against the series stems but it's there.

Edit: The other thing that infuriates me is the two different covers; one for adults and one for children, to repeat another cliche then one should never judge a book by its cover. It just seems like a pathetic marketing attempt to stop 'adult readers' being embarrassed by having a so called children's book on their shelves.

Last edited:
^ I agree with your [edit]!

I never read Harry Potter. I seen a film with the kids and I knew then.

Just finished "The Book of Dave" by Will Self.

It could have been great. It almost is. But not.

If this had been Will Self's first attempt as an unknown writer, it would never have been published. Of this we may be certain. Cumbersome, long-winded and full of phonetically rendered London-speak dialogue that would have most impartial readers reaching for the off-switch within two pages, this book is a testament to the undeserved literary success of the 21st century celebrity.
The central conceit is in itself an intriguing one - a disgruntled cabbie buries a record of his grievances, only for it to be discovered and mistaken for a religious text by future man, after Britain has been engulfed in a cataclysmic deluge that destroys the very fabric of society. You would expect this to signal the start of a vicious satire on the nature of religion and scriptures. It does so in a way that is barely satisfying and so mired in unnecessary sordidness as to render the exercise utterly pointless. And how hard Self makes his beloved reader work to even decipher his dialogue! Foolishly, I bought this book on the strength of that central conceit, and an admiration for Self's uncompromising persona as projected through his journalism and TV appearances. But his wretched repetition of loveless lives and illegible conversations meant that, after labouring through the first hundred pages, I merely flicked through the following hundred in the hope of finding some respite, then gave up altogether after another hundred. Self's barely concealed disdain for anything outside London - not to mention ordinary people - and his dreary racism (Japanese fares are never human, they are 'Japs') hardly endear me to him, either. Unfortunately, Self's own Dave-like fame and the unthinking sycophancy of the masses will ensure that this book remains a bestseller, as will anything else he carelessly cares to pen. There are many, many more deserving titles that will never reach the shelves of our bookstores.

I think the above amazon reviews say it all.

The hungry caterpillar.. Been meaning to finish it for ages but im almost there =]

Hungry Catepillar... read? fuck that, it's all about the pictures! =D

Also:

FC156718782X.JPG

Have finished my incredibly drawn out reading of Zen & art of MM.

Summation ~ fucking work of art. Probably not everyones cup of tea though. :)

Just finished "The Alchemist by Paolo Cohello.

Very short, simple, joyful little book. I think everybody should read it.

Could be described best as a religious/spiritual parable on the power of one and all entertwined through everything.

Reminds me of psychedelic revelations.

I likes it:)

The universe in a nutshell - Stephen Hawking

Pretty good book, but I recommend his previous longer, (and better, easier to understand) other book.

Notice that since I've read that book, so many things make more sense in my head - both philosophically and physically (physics).

Sorry for the big pic.
stranger_coverl.jpg

A friend told me to read it. Good so far, easy to read (which isn't necessarily a good thing), wish I knew French though.

Emperor Gods Of War by Conn Iggulden, last of 4 fiction books based on the life
of Julius Caesar. Great reads, i'd recommend them

The Testament of Gideon Mack by James Robertson, only just started it really but excellent none the less.

Ecstasy - Irvine Welsh.
Pretty good so far, I'm half way through the second story.

Zen & Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by ? Pursig (can't be arsed to go check)

Lots of Love

M 'n' M xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx;) ;) =D =D <3

that any good? a friend recommended it to me, but then my mum said it was pretentious

Pingu said:
that any good? a friend recommended it to me, but then my mum said it was pretentious

Well I've only read about twenty or so pages atm BUT so far I've really enjoyed it!
Some excellent observations about have already been pointed out in a NON - in ya face way ~ it has made me stop and reflect in a GOOD way.

Looking forward to progressing.
BTW I know others who have read it and have said that its a book worth reading ~ an eye opener / teacher ??

Lots of Love

M 'n M xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx;) ;) =D =D <3

i was very disappointed by the lack of motorcycle maintenance in that book. :(

I've recently had a big Herman Hesse splurge (not as messy and unpleasant as it sounds). Chugged my way through The Prodigy, Demian, Gertrude, Steppenwolf and Narziss and Dortmund. Everything of his I've read is worth reading, but the last two I mentioned are my favourites so far. I'm on the lookout for The Glass Bead Game, as it's supposedly his best (got a Nobel prize for it). Has anyone here read it?

Status
Not open for further replies.