• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

morphine sulfate - oral vs injection

kewl

Bluelighter
didnt want to disturb the flow of "the truth about QuickSilver" post with this question...
is the below correct:
oral is about 1/6th as effective as IV (IV dose is effectively 6 time stronger)
IV dose needs to be administered over time (15mg of Morphine would need to be administered in sub doses over a period of 4/5 minutes)
[This message has been edited by kewl (edited 15 February 2001).]

so if 15mg is inhected at once there is a high possibility of OD?

yes- as i understand it (but i think there are 50mg/ml injections - but mabey they are IM only - i dont know)
point is - i think it would be great if we could list explicit info...
[This message has been edited by kewl (edited 15 February 2001).]

Yes, that is true. Here is a chart of varying strengths of opiates from erowid:
[From 48th edition Physicians Desk Reference]
Equianalgesic Dose (mg)
Name
IM PO
morphine
10 60
hydromorphone (Dilaudid) 1.5 7.5
methadone (Dolophine)
10 20
oxycodone (Percocet)
15 30
levorphanol (Dromoran)
2 4
oxymorphone (Numorphan)
1 10(PR)
heroin
5 60
meperidine (Demerol)
75 --
codeine 130 200
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: All IM and PO doses in this chart are considered equivalent to 10 mg
of IM morphine in analgesic effect. IM denotes intramuscular, PO oral,
and PR rectal.
As you can see, 10 mg of IV morphine is equal to 60mg oral. IMO, It is highly doubtful that 15mg IV would be enough for someone to easily OD. 30mg+ IV would be closer to the danger of overdosing.
My guess is that Quicksilver was not aware of the proper conversion from his usual route of oral/nasal consumption to IV use.
On a side note, does anyone have any info on what realitive opiate doses would be when smoked or snorted? I doubt there is documented info...maybe based on experience?

IM is not the same as IV - the muscle tends to act as a 'sustained release' mechanism...

And yes, there are 50mg/mL injections, and for that matter, injections far higher. You must consider the high rate of increased tollerance to opiates. People in severe, chronic pain can be given as much as 200+ milligrams of intravenous morphine PER HOUR.

You are right, my mistake. I didnt realize that chart was for IM doses and not IV.

Actually, I did a search on this. Everything that comes up says that IM or IV doses are 1/3 of oral doses for morphine. maybe erowid's info is wrong?

i have seen 1/3 to 1/6 - the big issue (i think) would be the amount that can be taken IV in one injection.

IMO, and from experience, I'd say that you can safely IV 60mg even if you have no tolerance at all.