Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: The Sunday Telegraph - 17/06/07 'Celebrity drug hits Sydney'

lil angel15

Bluelight Crew
Celebrity drug hits Sydney
By Clair Weaver
June 17, 2007 12:00am

A POWERFUL drug nicknamed "hillbilly heroin" is spilling onto the streets of Sydney and hooking a new breed of addicts.

Experts warn oxycodone is so addictive that it is usually only prescribed by doctors as a strong painkiller for the terminally ill.

However, it is growing as a cheap and more potent alternative to heroin, which is in short supply in Australia.

At the Medically Supervised Injecting Centre (MSIC) in Kings Cross, records show oxycodone and morphine have surpassed illegal drugs like heroin, cocaine and "ice'' to become the most commonly used substances over the past year.

Classed as pharmaceutical opioids, they have quadrupled in use since 2005 and now account for about 40 per cent of visits to the injecting room.

Users crush up pills to remove slow-release binders before snorting or injecting the powder to get a bigger "hit''.

An overdose can be deadly or cause permanent damage.

Sold under the brand name OxyContin, oxycodone has wreaked havoc in the US, where celebrity users have been forced to seek rehabilitation.

Reported high-profile users include Lindsay Lohan, Jack Osbourne, Courtney Love and Winona Ryder. Hundreds of others have died.

Under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS), a packet of 20 or 60 pills costs $4.90 with a doctor's prescription and comes with the warning "the risk of drug dependence is high''.

Each 80mg pill fetches from $25 to $50 on the street.

Patients who would receive legitimate prescriptions of the medication include those who are dying of cancer, have terminal HIV or suffer from chronic pain, doctors say.

The Sydney MSIC report for June, 2007, which was released last Thursday, noted the increase in oxycodone and morphine use.

"From July, 2005 there was a marked increase in the number and proportion of injections involving opioids other than heroin and a corresponding decline in visits to inject heroin,'' it states.

"From April, 2006 to May, 2007 the use of heroin and other opioids was comparable.''

This means that between 2000 and 3000 visits to the centre each month are for oxycodone or morphine.

The Sunday Telegraph

If you're not in a known druggo area it's a bit easier to get Oxycontin/Endone from a doctor with a bit of back or neck pain.

Also it's not as hard as you would think to source synthetic opiods/opiates from vendors in asian countries.,... they legitimally make it and the prices per KG are amazingly cheap.. IF you iwn an import liciense.. but then just add another few hundred to a grand per KG and they'll over look that.. I hope this shit doesn't get onto the streets.. especially fentanyl and related analogues mixed with say diphenhydramine.....

OC80s and MS-100s have been really easy to get in a town near sydney.

they usually sell out before night though, demand is high.

a lot of people have switched over from H, cos morph/oxys are less than half the price of H usually

It's not just the big cities like Sydney...

Oxy's have overtaken H throughout Australia and it's just as rampant in the country.

I was first offered some back in 2003 and i'm glad i never touched the shit.

I've completely lost 2 friends over it (dead) and might aswell class another 20 as dead coz all they live for is oxy contin.

Must be good stuff!

Some doc's are really throwing away prescriptions for it, i know alot of people who complained of back pain and were prescribed oxy's after only a few consultations.

Most doc's in my area are now cracking down on it but an hour from here there is a Dr. Feelgood who is recomended by all

a lot of people have switched over from H, cos morph/oxys are less than half the price of H usually

Haha funny how in the US the exact opposite is true. I guess we can thank the PBS for that!