• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

advice please... trippy effects with marijuana...

samuel_smith

Bluelighter
hello people,
i have some questions about “tripping” on marajuana, i’d be grateful for peoples’ thoughts on…
but first, 3 “trip reports” about my experiences to contextualise the questions …
i've smoked pot off and on for 5 years now, (mostly hash, sometimes grass )
not that often (once or twice/month) and only socially.
most of the time, i seem to get very little effect, maybe just “the giggles”, but…
3 times over the last few years, i’ve had some *very* intense experiences.
i’d say “trips”, though having not taken lsd etc. i wouldn’t know for sure, but from reading the trip reports about lsd some of the effects sound similar…
experience 1
i was in a park with my girlfriend, and we were smoking 2 spliffs with the usual minimal effects, and then “bam” it hits me (btw they were skunk)… the first thing i noticed was that everything literally appeared “spaced out” - as though there were massive distances between say me and her and the trees etc. i then got this very weird “time distortion” - it seemed that single minutes were lasting a long long time, i couldn’t always follow what she was saying – my brain seemed to be working at such a rate that i couldn’t process whole sentences, just understand single words (if that makes “sense”!). i seemed to get “stuck” in time, as though time no longer “flowed”. my sense of touch also became “odd”, like there was a delay between touching something and getting the sensation of touching something. i also become very aware (and unnerved by ) the “feel” of things against me (like my clothes, or the grass – the green stuff we were sitting on!). i then freaked out at being “spaced out” - thought i’d gone insane – might die etc. infact, at one point it got so bad that my vision seemed to go into a tunnel with the old “light at the end” stereotype of death. after maybe 20 minutes, i “calmed down” (and no more time distortion - though those 20 mins had felt like hours to me at the time – very weird) – and i didn’t feel threatened by the new “state of being”. infact i started to really “get into” it, we went back to my house and had great sex (my sense of touch was greatly amplified – though for some reason i was worried i might have a heart-attack!!!). as far as i can remember most of the effects died away after a few hours, but this “spaced out” state, and “altered touch”, carried on for about 48 hours (which after a while became extremely irritating!)
experience 2
this happened last year after a night of clubbing with some friends (btw it was my first time on ecstasy that night - 2 pills – a truly great exeperience)
we got back to my fiend’s house to chill and watch videos, and started smoking dope (home grown weed). after a few puffs… bam…. i was back where i was the first time i “tripped” on dope… “spaced out”, “time distortion”, “altered sense of touch”… but this time things became “more intense”…
i enter this state, which went from being *incredibly* good (i thought i was literally in heaven) , to being *incredibly* bad. it’s very hard to describe (or fully remember) this “phase”. but…
i had amazing moments of insight, (like i’d figured out what/who is god, what is the meaning of life etc.) and a feeling of complete bliss, the words i used at the time were (something like) “i’m swimming in a vast ocean of ecstatic bliss” – the two friends i was with were both also stoned and had taken e. at some point or other things turned “bad”, and i suddenly became *very* paranoid, felt that instead of being in heaven i was going hell, and my two friends were devils sent to take me there. i even ran out of the house at one point to try and get away – in retrospect i have a feeling they may have been winding me up and influencing my trip. i think the “trip” last about 4 hours, at which point i was left a shivering wreck on the sofa saying “ooohhh shit” to myself repeatedly. one lasting memory of the trip, was that at moments i felt as though i could predict what was about to happen, or someone was going to stay, and it seemed that there was a “real” reality hidden behind all the things i could sense (see, hear, feel etc.) – does that make sense?
experience 3
happened a few months after experience 2, this time i’d been smoking a fair amount (but only regular hash) while watching videos with a friend (who’d also been with me the time before). the same sequence… puffing away… “bam”…. “spaced out”… “time distortion”… “altered sense of touch”… “unable to speak”, also became unable to understand the movie – which btw took on a very odd 3d character… this time i managed to “stay rational” for maybe ten minutes, telling myself this is just the effect of the dope and to keep calm, but soon enough the “trip” got more intense and “beyond my control”. also as i started to “trip” my pulse started to really race (panic?), and i started shivering a lot as soon… i felt as though i couldn’t stay still and needed to dance around… i then became *deeply* paranoid about my friend – connected directly back to the “going to hell” portion of the previous trip… so i hastily made my excuses and went home. i had a very weird (highly paranoid and unpleasant) journey back to my flat… seemed that i was a spy, and part of some big global conspiracy with people trying to kill me, because i’d found something very important out (kinda like total recall!). anyway about 4 hours after the “trip” had started it was over. reality seemed to gradually break back into my “tripped out” state. though i have to stay that while “tripping” i was 100% convinced that it was for real, *very* intense!
so…
after experience 3 i swore i’d never touch dope again, but over the past few months i’ve smoked it a few times.
i hope those decriptions made sense, and here are some questions i’d be grateful for opinions on…
1) has anyone else had similar experiences off of dope… no one else i know has
2) should i smoke dope again?
each time i’ve “tripped” i’ve sworn i’ll never smoke again, but after a few months i get back into it – as now. that said, i’m not a heavy “user” at all - once a month with friends, never buy my own (yes, cheapskate i know!) – i like the flavour, and the social aspect of passing a joint round. but i’m always worried incase i’m going to start “tripping”, i can’t seem to predict if/when it might happen, until “bam” it does, and then it’s too late!
if i do smoke again and, have a similar experience…
3) is it possible to stop yourself “tripping”, once you’ve started?
4) any tips for how to “manage” the experience, so it’s a “good trip”
5) for those who’ve tried lsd etc, do my experiences seem anything an acid “trip”
many thanks, people.
it’s been good to share these experiences with you.
all the best,
sam

apparently you have a nice hookup. heh. hell yes smoke again. what would be wrong with that?
i also have experienced "trippy" feelings when i smoked very good pot. its a good thing.. yet isnt as intense or as long as a 10 hour acid trip.
------------------
I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone.. but they've always worked for me.

Most likely, the weed you get is prayed with something...
but you say the the weed you smoked the second time was homegrown, still, you took pills at that time, making the eperience stronger.
Maybe the weed you bought the other times does have some shit on it. Something that you are very sensetive to.
no matter how good the weed, 48 hours is an imposible lenght of time to continue feeling 'different'.
I also get time distortion on weed sometimes. it eg. seems ive been doing something for a whole hour, while it was like 10 minutes.
The reason why you cant proccess sentances is cause you sometimes loose your short term memory if your wasted big time on weed. Normally you can proccess a sentance, but not stories, forgetting what the previous sentance was. In your case it was just a step higher, only remebering each word. This is normal and notihng to worry about.
You say that you smoked for like 5 years, and now only smoke 1-2x a month.
So you smoke less frequently. This is the same with me, and i now get much more wasted on less weed way easier. You might be getting this to.
The thing with you is that you forget that its the drugs that make you think the way you do at the time. You think the shit you see/think is real and panic. This is your mistake! thats why you get bad trips.
NEVER THINK: hmm, its probably the drug, but what if this shit [your seeing/thining] is true and i am only thinking its the drug, while its not...
THIS IS NEVER TRUE
Even if you really think shit is true/evil/worng whatever, that might start a bad trip, just tell yourself its all becuase the drugs and you cant help whats happening.
-Tell yourself everyting is alright!!!
-Tell your self its not you, its the drugs!!!
-Laugh at yourself when you feel you start to panic, saying, damn im so stupid. i actualy thought what i saw/thought was true.
-Say: damn this shit is cool, im so wasted, so far away from thinking normally and being my normal self.
I use this "stratagy" and have never had any bad trip on any drug. Every time i am thinking i migh get scared paranoid etc, i just tel my self hwo wasted i am and how cool the shit i am thinking is. I then go throught the bad trip, making it good again. This is the only way you can change end a bad trip metally.
Face at your fear and think 'why is this scaring me', dont ever try to hide from it by denying your feelings to it. Never be thinking you should stop trying to think of the frear. doingso will only make you think more of it!
I hope this helps
PeacE!
[This message has been edited by Ser0tonin (edited 13 February 2001).]

Was it the same pot for each of these experiences?
For experience #3 you were smoking a quality sativa. Sativa's give you an energetic trippy high. Sativa's are also well known to cause paranoia and heart palpitations.
3. Eating food, and believe it or not, a cold shower can help kill your buzz.
4. Manage your trip with music. Whatever music you enjoy, pot will make it sound way better.
5. It COULD have been similar to an acid trip. I've done acid many times, and I've smoked pot for 17 years. On a few occations I've had an acid-like trip from cannabis. Acid is a whole different thing though. It lasts a LONG time and has a deeper psychological impact than any pot will.

about experince #2... MDMA + pot = tripping face... at least in my experience with the two.
also, before trying e, pot was alot different for me... i never used to get visuals as a kid when I would smoke, but after trying e, smoking has changed and become much more trippy for me... visuals AND mind trip... I have come to like it better this way, but it took a little getting used to at first.
sorry I can't be more specific, but things like this usually tend to be fairly mental and the causes vary alot from person to person...
------------------
My shots going down like you never did know,
Coming pow pow like the sounds of your stereo...

Welcome to the wonderful world of smoking *good* weed. Everything you described in the 3 "trips" I can relate to some way or another. The way you described it does sound similar to a mushroom trip or LSD trip.
I sometimes trip like that when I smoke alot of weed too. I used to get paranoid and crazy thoughts like you mentioned would go through my mind. After a while I learned to control this. When you start to get paranoid and "bad trip" you have to convince yourself that its all in your mind. It is NOT from the stuff you smoked. Marijuana has the power to open up your mind... it is up to you to let it open up in a good way. Before you smoke you have to be relaxed and ready for the affects of the pot.
As for experience #2... I would relate that too the E. When I mix E and weed together, I get *very* high. Even if the affects of the E wore off a few hours ago.
And yes... keep smoking weed! I find that it takes a few months (or longer as it did for me) to come accustomed to getting high and not freaking out over the dumbest things. Now I can smoke and do anything... I even smoke weed when Im at work and I love it!
Hope this helped a bit...
------------------
Im so sober that I feel high.

all i gotta say is that smoking dank weed after rolling is the absolute best high I've ever had. It seriously is a trip.....hard to describe but amazing. My favorite thing to do after smoking after e is to chat with my friends (absolutely no fucking clue whats going on, its like by brain and body are on autopilot) and then when everyon gets sleepy, listen to some good trance. I get these amazing close eye visuals..its like I close my eyes and watch a movie. for your other experiences, I just gotta say you get the highs every weed smoker loves!
peace
------------------
"Fuck World War Two, I am an Elephant!"
-Albert Hofmann, 1943.

I know you can get visuals after smoking lots and lots of pot. I got some real cool tracers after smoking well over a half ounce in one night with 4 or so other people. But it doesn't sound like you had that much. A friend of mine had a really bad pot smoking experience where he smoked 1 bowl with 4 people, I was there but I sat out cause I had to take a drug test the next week. But he had take some anti-depressants earlier that day. I never found out what kind, or how much, he just said he took them at 5 o' clock. And they smoked around 9. So then we decide to go to a coffee shop as to cure the munchies and cottonmouth. its like a 15 minute drive to the one we were going to. On the way he started whining about how weird he felt. And then he just started babbling like he was drunk, talking about how everything was spinning around him and said he couldn't see well (weird visuals???). So we got to the coffee shop and he didn't eat anything, he just drank some water and sat there with his head in his hands like he was asleep. Then we got up and left, he made it out to the sidewalk and then he threw up 8 times in a row.
I don't remember you saying anything about anti-depressants or anything in your post. Did you take something earlier maybe? Hope that helped.
------------------
"You can't defeat me, I am the Nightmare Man!"

experience 2: i too would say it was because of the E previously...i've read sooo many times of people practically tripping after they smoke bud on the comedown...and have experienced it myself. for me, it was not a lot of e...not quite even a whole green eurodollar - strong pills - and on the comedown, a FEW little tokes of some pretty kind nugg...and though it wasn't full-blown, hardcore trippin', things certainly took on a kind of trip-0-vision look, and feel. i attribute it to the e before. and remember, THC can be at least somewhat hallucinogenic in high enough doses. keep smokin' and have fun! take care...
peace!
smile.gif

------------------
I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

shit dont quit smokin bud just cuz youve tripped of it. i smoke weeed like everyday and sometimes when we smoke like several oz. i sometimes too trip but thats just cuz of the THC. if ya trip thats the more reasons to do it. peace
henry

It seems to me that you have a permanent bad trip on weed.
You just have to learn how to enjoy it, and believe me - it's worth it!
Try with some music - Hendrix, Bach is great, or that CD "Nightmares on Wax - Smokers delight". Try and you will see; just relax and enjoy!
One Love!

Marijuana has always been a psychedelic for me. Even before I ate the seeds, or LSD. Enjoy it. If you don't like it, don't smoke it.
------------------
"I have discovered that common sense is quite uncommon"-My name here

i hate to say this, but maybe you're schitzophrenic :/
something to consider, does it run in your family?
just a thought

First off all, i'm from the netherlands, so my english is not high quality, but most of the drugs here is.... anyway:
Damn! Exactly what I experienced!!!
Usually I never smoke pot cause most variants make me just dull and sleepy, but one of my friends insisted I try Edelweiss weed and YES it gave me finally that free floating, enhanced touch, cosmic insights etc... followed by time distortion, motion sickness paranoia, like I was given the change to look through the eyes of some God, but it was just too much for a low mortal being..
I felt a bit like the insects in the Smirnov commercial. The insect ride sky fucking high on the wing of a boeing 747, after the plane lands one of the insects gulps when it sees a F16 (just toooooo much)
I had never thought all these years after many trials that weed could have triplike qualities....
Compared to my mushroom and 2ct7 trips i must say that a weed trip is never a free ride, always paranoia, system shutdown and motion sickness, it is like you said, first heaven then hell while shrooms make me feel like floating on clouds with the most wonderfull visiuals and joyfull thoughts.
Most people I know that smoke pot do so to get in a relaxed state where they can easily socialize with their friends, but only a few of them has ever tripped on pot. Too trip on weed I suspect you must have the receptor sites for it and high serotonine levels at the same time (the psylocibine from shrooms also followes the serotonine pathway) . This explains why smoking after E can produce shroomlike effects.

hi people,
thanks so much for the replies, opinions and info
in response…
ser0tonin - “weed prayed with something” – maybe, hadn’t thought of that, if so most likely with experience 1… as the guy i got the skunk from was pretty hardcore, and “48 hours is an imposible lenght of time to continue feeling 'different'”… i agree, if i hadn’t have been through it i would have hardly believed it possible. thinking back, it may have even lasted more like 72 hrs (!). thanks for the comments on short term memory… (yes, thinking more carefully about it, it was more like i couldn’t follow a whole conversation or story than single sentences) and your "stratagy"
phoebestar - glad to hear you’ve also experienced "trippy" feelings
skydigger - “was it the same pot for each of these experiences?”… no… 1) skunk… 2) homegrown weed… 3) hash. thanks for the suggestions on killing the buzz and the detailed reply on how to “handle” tripping, much appreciated
mr. e, homeboyjim & bliss99e - thanks for the mdma + pot = tripping face info
bongmaster – “everything you described in the 3 "trips" i can relate to some way or another” - phew! it’s not just me! thanks for the advise also
thenightmareman - “doesn't sound like you had that much”… nope… experience 1 - two shared spliffs… experience 2 - only a few tokes on one spliff (!), experience 3 – four or five shared spilffs
“did you take something earlier maybe” – only with experience 2 (2 mitsis)
mr. e & pun*is*rollin - thanks for the thc mention… i’ll chase this up
kasia - “learn how to enjoy it”…if i do get back in that situation i’ll try! hendrix – my favourite!
morninggloryseed – “if you don't like it, don't smoke it” – i guess that just about hits the nail on the head!
synthetic sunrise - “maybe you're schitzophrenic” obviously i hope not… “does it run in your family?”… no
goahead - “damn! exactly what i experienced!!!” thanks so much for the reply and details of your experiences, much appreciated – helps a lot. “receptor sites” – maybe this partly explains my sensititivity
so… taking all you’ve said on board… and maybe this sounds a little vanilla to the more hardcore-vodka-bong-connoisseurs among you… i think i’m going to keep smoking, but in a cautious way, not intending to trip again… as goahead said… for people like us it's not a free ride can be “just toooooo much”… but if i do trip out again, i’ll try and make it a positive experience, and will let you know if i succeed…
all the best, sam