• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Marijuana & Testosterone levels (?)

bliss99e

Bluelighter
My roommate and I have had an ongoing debate for about 6 months - he claims that smoking weed will lower males' testosterone levels, and increase males' estrogen production. I think this is total bullshit, something that Harry J might have used back in the 40s & 50s, but I have no evidence to prove him wrong....does anyone have any idea????? I'd love a definitive answer, but references/educated opinions would be great too.
Thanks
------------------
"Fuck World War Two, I am an Elephant!"
-Albert Hofmann, 1943.

I don't know if it's true, or not but I've heard that too... at least about increasing estrogen levels. But, like I said I don't know if it's true. Are you feeling a little girly?

blood drinker to the rescue.
Answer, is short and sweet: NO.
It does not lower testosterone or raise estrogen to the extent that it will hinder your gains (considering you lift).
Visit www.elitefitness.com, and do a search on their board. They have an ongoing discussion about this all the time.
Thats bullshit propaganda by the CIA or whatever to get teens into believing it will hinder them from growing.
Peace

I don't have any scientific proof on all of this but in my experience weed lowers your self confidence up to 24 hours after smoking. Dunno if this has to do with lowered testosterone levels.

There's actually conflicting reports about this... the latest reports I've seen say NO -- "chronic marijuana use showed no significant effect on hormone concentrations in either men or women."[1] But back in the 80s there was a lot of people worried about it, see this for example... I'd put it off to the age-old search for adverse effects to pin on cannabis.
I'd show the study below to your friend and tell him it's his job to back up what he's talking about. :)
[1] Block RI, Farinpour R, Schlechte JA. (1991) Effects of chronic marijuana use on testosterone, luteinizing hormone, follicle stimulating hormone, prolactin and cortisol in men and women. Drug Alcohol Depend 28:121-128.