• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Deadly Cheese Heroin

Pingu

Bluelighter
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/06/12/che...oin/index.html

• Authorities say there have been 21 "cheese" deaths in the Dallas area since 2005
• Schools, police have begun campaign to try to stop the drug from spreading
• Middle schoolers cheer after detective says U.S. has the most drug users
• Dad of a teenager who died says: "All it takes is once"

From Tracy Sabo
CNN

DALLAS, Texas (CNN) -- A cheap highly addictive drug known as "cheese heroin" has killed 21 teenagers in the Dallas area over two years, and authorities say they are hoping they can stop the fad before it spreads across the nation.

"Cheese heroin" is a blend of so-called black tar Mexican heroin and crushed over-the-counter medications that contain the antihistamine diphenhydramine, found in products such as Tylenol PM, police say. The sedative effects of the heroin and the nighttime sleep aids make for a deadly brew.

"A double whammy -- you're getting two downers at once," says Dallas police detective Monty Moncibais. "If you take the body and you start slowing everything down, everything inside your body, eventually you're going to slow down the heart until it stops and, when it stops, you're dead." (Audio slide show: A father describes his teen son's death)

Steve Robertson, a special agent with the Drug Enforcement Administration in Washington, says authorities are closely monitoring the use of "cheese" in Dallas.

Trying to keep the drug from spreading to other cities, the DEA is working with Dallas officials to raise public awareness about the problem. Authorities also are trying to identify the traffickers, Robertson says.

"We are concerned about any drug trend that is new because we want to stop it," he says.

Why should a parent outside Dallas care about what's happening there?

Robertson says it's simple: The rise of the information technology age makes it easy for a drug trend to spread rapidly across the country.

"A parent in New York should be very concerned about a drug trend in Dallas, a drug trend in Kansas City, a drug trend anywhere throughout the United States," he says.

Middle schoolers acknowledge 'cheese'
"Cheese" is not only dangerous. It's cheap. About $2 for a single hit and as little as $10 per gram. The drug can be snorted with a straw or through a ballpoint pen, authorities say. It causes drowsiness and lethargy, as well as euphoria, excessive thirst and disorientation. That is, if the user survives. (Interactive: What is "cheese"? )

Authorities aren't exactly sure how the drug got its name "cheese." It's most likely because the ground-up, tan substance looks like Parmesan cheese. The other theory is it's shorthand for the Spanish word "chiva," which is street slang for heroin.

By using the name "cheese," drug dealers are marketing the low-grade heroin to a younger crowd -- many of them middle schoolers -- unaware of its potential dangers, authorities say.

"These are street dealers, dope dealers," Moncibais recently warned students at Sam Tasby Middle School. "They give you a lethal dose. What do they care?"

Moncibais then asked how many students knew a "cheese" user. Just about everyone in the auditorium raised a hand. At one point, when he mentioned that the United States has the highest rate of drug users in the world, the middle schoolers cheered. (Watch middle schoolers raise hands, admit they know drug users )

"You know, I know being No. 1 is important, but being the No. 1 dopeheads in the world, I don't know whether [that] bears applause," Moncibais shot back.

Authorities say the number of arrests involving possession of "cheese" in the Dallas area this school year was 146, up from about 90 the year before. School is out for the summer, and authorities fear that the students, with more time on their hands, could turn to the drug.

'Cheese' as common a problem as pot
School officials and police have been holding assemblies, professional lectures, PTA meetings and classroom discussions to get the word out about the drug. A public service announcement made by Dallas students is airing on local TV, and a hotline number has been created for those seeking assistance.

Drug treatment centers in Dallas say teen "cheese" addicts are now as common as those seeking help for a marijuana addiction. "It is the first drug to have even come close in my experience here," says Michelle Hemm, director of Phoenix House in Dallas.

From September 2005 to September 2006, Phoenix House received 69 "cheese" referral calls from parents. Hemm says that in the last eight months alone, that number has nearly doubled to 136. The message from the parents is always, "My kid is using 'cheese,' " she says.

Phoenix House refers them to detoxification units first, but Hemm says at least 62 teens have received additional treatment at her facility since last September.

Fernando Cortez Sr. knows all too well how devastating cheese heroin can be. A reformed drug user who has spent time in prison, Cortez had spoken to his children about the pitfalls of drug use. He thought his 15-year-old son was on the right track.

But on March 31, his boy, Fernando "Nando" Cortez Jr., was found dead after using cheese heroin.

"I should have had a better talk with him," he says. "All it takes is once. You get high once and you die, and that's what happened to my son."

He knows it's too late for his son. Now, he is using his son's story to help others.

"All I can do is try to help people now. Help the kids, help the parents."

CNN.com senior producer Wayne Drash contributed to this report.

Why dont we just have one mega merged cheese thread, cuz these stories are all A. Stupid B. Sensational C. repetetive as hell D. tell nothing new and E. useful only to make fun of. sending out a big heart felt [U]STFU [/U]at all these whiney mutha fuckas.

they died from fuckin tylenol PM. this is like if someone smoked a 4-gram bag of oregano that had a 0.1 of weed mixed in, or someone snorted a 1-gram bag of baby powder that had a flake of cocaine weighting 0.01 grams in there somewhere.

"A parent in New York should be very concerned about a drug trend in Dallas, a drug trend in Kansas City, a drug trend anywhere throughout the United States," he says.

Yea, except there is no black tar heroin in new york so actually no, i dont think parents need to worry about cheese. Somethin this stupid could only come from fuckin texas.

Drug treatment centers in Dallas say teen "cheese" addicts are now as common as those seeking help for a marijuana addiction. "

They forgot part, it was supposed to say "cheese addicts are now as common, and also just as laughable and impossible to take seriously, as those seeking help for marijuana addiction.

I read a report on the supposed cheese OD deaths. Apparently they weren't actually caused by the dope... Damn I wish I still had the link.
mad.gif

I laughed my ass off at the cnn story that was on earlier tonight. I get a laugh every time I see it.

Everytime i see this goddamn thread i get hungry. the titles hilarious too. Still i think there should be a mega cheese thread to keep these bullshit-ass articles from clogging up the forum cuz no ones learning nothing new from them.,

Somethin this stupid could only come from fuckin texas.

Yeah, i was trying to make sense of what this article is about exactly.

Is it propaganda for the war on drugs?
Is it just warning people out of concern for their safety?
Is it about a new serious, life-ruining drug epidemic?

I've settled on: Texas is full of idiots.
I think this one best explains the reasoning for writing this article.

I must be doing something wrong

I tooted the stuff and got nothing but a smell like stinky feet up my nose. I know it was good, cause I got it right from Joe in the back of Luigi's Pizza Palace.

The Media is like a white rat in a bar press experiment. They press the 'alarm the public' bar, they get a food pellet. They've been doing this for well over a hundred years, and they'll keep doing it as long as it works.

Someone needs to do a cheese Trip Report.

There must be some junior high/HS BL members that have tried it.

What on earth is the fucking point of this mixture? Sounds like BS, or maybe just some isolated cases blown out of proportion.

Remember those e's that were blue and looked like diamonds? Or those e's that were pink and in the shape of stars? Those were mostly the 2nd ingredient in that cheese drug. I'd never take those pills again. That other drug other then the heroin is what probly kills people. I know I was fucked, I thought I might die when I took those pills. Just say no to cheese!

lacey k said:
Why dont we just have one mega merged cheese thread, cuz these stories are all A. Stupid B. Sensational C. repetetive as hell D. tell nothing new and E. useful only to make fun of. sending out a big heart felt [U]STFU [/U]at all these whiney mutha fuckas.

they died from fuckin tylenol PM. this is like if someone smoked a 4-gram bag of oregano that had a 0.1 of weed mixed in, or someone snorted a 1-gram bag of baby powder that had a flake of cocaine weighting 0.01 grams in there somewhere.

Yea, except there is no black tar heroin in new york so actually no, i dont think parents need to worry about cheese. Somethin this stupid could only come from fuckin texas.

They forgot part, it was supposed to say "cheese addicts are now as common, and also just as laughable and impossible to take seriously, as those seeking help for marijuana addiction.

im from fucking texas, dickfuck

jorder1010 said:
Somethin this stupid could only come from fuckin texas.

Yeah, i was trying to make sense of what this article is about exactly.

Is it propaganda for the war on drugs?
Is it just warning people out of concern for their safety?
Is it about a new serious, life-ruining drug epidemic?

I've settled on: Texas is full of idiots.
I think this one best explains the reasoning for writing this article.

ive settled on it, your full of shit

zigzag| dta said:

Oh, oh. Somebody's pissing on the Alamo, again.=D

Seriously, I'd like to start an LBJ thread somewhere. Fascinating character.

Fuck that cheese shit. Shit is so cut I dont understand how these fucking kids are dying.

zigzag| dta said:

ive settled on it, your full of shit

I'll bet you're on the debate team, too, aren't you? I'd recognize that sparkling rhetorical style anywhere.

zigzag| dta said:

So, then just feel ashamed of your stupid fellow residents. Dickfuck, i like that one.

For real dont take that shit the wrong way, but come on, this is the state that gave us tha Preza'dunt. and a shit ton of other shitty and mentally challenged things. I know you must have enough brain cells to be the exception to the rule since youre on this site so calm down it wasnt nothign against you.

EDIT: Maybe not now that i read the other response and so far the only thing you said in this thread is angry shit towards people for not liking a inanimate piece of land that your parents just happened to fuck on.

Dont get me wrong, aint nothing wrong with havin pride of where youre from. If you start shittin on Jersey ill defend it to the death, but its all in good fun cuz i personally like people hatin on jerz. it means that they wont come here with their shitty attitudes and try and populate my state which is jus the way i like it. when they hate, theres just more for me and one less resident who aint tru jersey and i like it like that.

for you to actually be gettin upset over this on the other hand and callin people names just cuz they said this is stupid and the majority of texas is stupid (which it is) now thas just pointless.

That other dude had a serious legit point about the way the media operates, and hes full of shit cuz he mentioed texas in a less than super great way? LMFAO. you aint makin your point too well here homie kinda the opposite.

Fuck that cheese shit. Shit is so cut I dont understand how these fucking kids are dying.

From the tylenol PM fuckin their livers im guessin or like fasteddie said some kind of interaction. It sure as fuck aint from that crazy high killer dose of diesel in there.
rolleyes.gif

Last edited:
The majority of Texas is stupid?

Wow...that must be some survey you ran.

The majority of people who make statements like that are boneheads.

Edit: No, I guess my sarcasm detector isn't in too good shape today. Excuse me.

And, as for JERSEY...

I go there some times. I do business with people there. I kind of like it, to be honest. It does suck that you can't buy beer in the supermarket.

Last edited: