Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Ethnobotanicals [Mescaline Cactus Subthread] Peyote

cuauhtEmoc

Bluelighter
Welcome to the Main Thread for Peyote Cacti

peyote_cactus_mexico.jpg

Subthreads:

[original post:]

Last time (and 1st one) that I ate Peyote, I wasnt able to eat enough cause the taste is so awful that it made me puke several times. This time i would like to really enjoy the trip, can someone suggest good methods to eat this cacti.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you getting good 18-20 year old peyote?
Might be better going for san pedro - less nausea that way. Still tastes horrific tho.

stick to acid man, cause youre going to be tripping balls for a long ass time and you wont be able to do anything about it.

eat san pedro instead so that peyote doesn't end up extinct.
that would be my advice on eating peyote.

Fast all day. Pray. Cleanse yourself in some form of ritual. Take it seriously. Expect to get sick and look at it as a gate you must travel through. Peyote is going to make you sick and you will most likely vomit. Accept that or stick to LSD and leave peyote for the professionals.
------------------
"I have discovered that common sense is quite uncommon"-My name here

I know eating peyote is something that needs preparation and respect.. but still, the taste is horrible, I cant stand it so I puke and then I cant eat more, I just cant swallow it.. Is there a way to cover that the awful taste?/

I have the exact same problem, though I use San Pedro. The second it hits the back of my throat, the gag reflex kicks in. I've tried a few things to cover up the taste, with no success yet. Considered trying Jello, but haven't gotten around to it.
You best bet is to dry it, powder it, and put it in caps. But know that even done that way, you'll still likely vomit. The stomach, she doesn't like the cactus...

The ancients used rectal infusion. Boil it down to about half a pint and use an enema kit. No taste problems or nausea.

ingesting peyote

A friend of mine recently came across a large amount of these special buttons and I was wondering the way in which i would go about ingesting. Do i cut the skin of the button open and ingest the interior?
thats the way I figure would be the easiest it seems hard to eat the extrior skin as it is quite tough? is this skin psychoactive as well? please give me worthwhile advice or experience only, or a link to a site which goes into detail about the ingesting of peyote

come on people there has to be someone who has eaten it before just tell me the method you used to ingest I really know nothing about it i dont want to waste the skin if its poosible to eat someone help

You're going to have to be a little more patient than that. The people that post here aren't robots or encyclopedias.

I'd read the stuff on erowid if you have not already.

If it were me, I'd carefully peel off the waxy cuticle, cut out the pith, cut the roots off, and eat everything else. I've never eaten any before, though.

Also, peyote is different in feel to san pedro (& other trichocereus species) as it contains isoquinoline alkaloids as well. Basically, your face may feel warmer/flushed and you're more likely to puke, but if you're after the authentic Native American Church type experience, there's nothing like it (well actually, there's also Lophophora diffusa and another possible sub species, but they look so much like peyote, esp when dried, that my original statement is effectively true).

If you've already had T. peruvianus or T. pachanoi, you will notice a difference in it being more sedate and trancelike, but other than that, it's very similar

Just eat them whole and chew them as much as you can... or blend them in a small amount of acidic water (orange juice) and drink.

fizzacyst said:
You're going to have to be a little more patient than that. The people that post here aren't robots or encyclopedias.

I'd read the stuff on erowid if you have not already.

If it were me, I'd carefully peel off the waxy cuticle, cut out the pith, cut the roots off, and eat everything else. I've never eaten any before, though.

I think most of the mescaline is just under the skin so be careful... I would suggest leaving it on to be honest.

If you use the native american technique, you moisten them in your mouth by chewing, before swallowing. It's definitely an acquired taste though (I think the residual taste, that lasts for an age, is more likely to make you puke to be honest; they taste utterly vile - bitter and sticky/gooey), I'd just break them into small pieces and try and get them down with small sips of water ot fruit juice

dose is between 10 (strong dose!) and 16 (very heavy dose!) medium sized buttons. You have to eat them whole, chew the swallow (I mean all the button excepting the root, but I guess you have buttons with the roots cutted off from them)...you can make a tea with those if you want (taste is said to be very very bitter)

Last edited:
When I've used Pedro, I've used various prep methods.

However, whenever I've used Peyote, Ive simply washed the buttons and eaten them like apples :/

Be aware, still want to eat it all fairly quick, so as not to space out the dose too much..

I found the taste of Peyote quite bareable compared to San Pedro, however, I know some people who think the opposite...

But yeh, cause your not dealing with quiet so much material as with a Pedro, just eat them.

ALso, bare in mind, the AGE of the cactus can significantly dictate how much alkaloids are in their. A young cactus will almost yield no mescaline at all.

I know of a few cactus suppliers who off-load young peyotes for a very expensive price to unsuspecting experimenters who invariably end up dissapointed.

Generally speaking, purchasing peyote for purposes of a Mesc trip is not in the least bit economically feasible (not in Aus anyway). Basically, most ppl (onec again, here in Aus) just buy them so they can grow they're own peyote. (I guess, in 200 yrs time when its nicely matured, they're gran kids can eat it).