• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Tramadol vs. Darvocet: Crappy Opioid Showdown!!

Ivy_bitch

Bluelighter
Hey all!!

Yeah...we all know they both pretty much suck but please indulge my curiousity regarding the best of the worst here!! There seems to be alot of variability among peoples' perspectives. Soooo...provide your preference (tram or darv), dosages, and why (risk/reward, etc.). I'm also interested in what experiences people have had with these two in staving off WD from other opiates/oids.

Me, personally? So nice of you to ask. Darv, hands down. Especially if there's no APAP (Darvon or CWE). Takes me far less of the stuff to achieve a comparable feeling versus Tramadol. And there's no pesky seizure risk so I can save my benzos for another time (instead of using them to ward off seizures). I've never used them for withdrawal from other opiates/oids but I've heard good things about dextropropoxyphene.

On the flip side, dextropropoxyphene does fuck all for headaches where tramadol there is great, I've found.

Mods shut me down if I'm out of line (not sure if this is a survey or something against the rules).

Horray for real opiates...when you can get them...

Thanks,

Ivy

I've never hit up Tramadol before but I can't imagine a shittier opioid than Darvocet. I took a red-line dose once when I was opiate naive and it barely put a smile on my face. No pillow, no warm fuzzies, just the faintest bounce in my step.

Ness said:
I've never hit up Tramadol before but I can't imagine a shittier opioid than Darvocet. I took a red-line dose once when I was opiate naive and it barely put a smile on my face. No pillow, no warm fuzzies, just the faintest bounce in my step.
^ Everybody seems to say this... I must have weird body chemistry or something, because propoxyphene fucks me up. I used to take between 300 - 500mgs. with alcohol (btw don't do this) and was beyond fucked up (reminded of taking xanax except my whole body was numb). I don't know darvocet works for me though, and I prefer them to tramadols... hardly get a buzz off those.

Ivy_bitch said:
Me, personally? So nice of you to ask. Darv, hands down. Especially if there's no APAP (Darvon or CWE). Takes me far less of the stuff to achieve a comparable feeling versus Tramadol.

Thats interesting because a CWE with Darvocet is impossible. The active ingredient is not water soluble.

Tramadol, hands down. Neither are very good, but tramadol will take away some withdrawal symptoms, while darvocet actually makes W/D worse.
Tramadol also lasts longer.

There are only a few weak Opioids, with all the same weak potency (the potency of Codeine), I can think of 6 of these weak-as-codeine opioids:
-Codeine
-Tramadol
-Propoxyphene
-Ethylmorphine
-Mazindol
-Tilidine
Only the 3 first are common.

For me
-codeine gives me a wonderful opiate effect when I have zero tolerance
-I never felt anything from Propoxyphene, at any dosage
-I tried Tramadol 10 times, 400mg each. On these 10 trials, I felt something from Tramadol only 2 times, but damn, it was better than Codeine!

So among the weak Opioids:
-Codeine is the best
-Tramadol can be great, but too unpredictable
-Propoxyphene is really shit. I think it is surely better than Codeine for withdrawal, though.....

I think tramadol blows darvocet out of the water. For me, popping darvocet is like taking sugar pills that will kill you if you take too many. I guess it does have some use though. Darvocet can potentiate other opiates and some people find that it works alright for pain.

I find tramadol to be the best of all the crappy opioids :). Of course I prefer other opioids over it, but when I can't get anything else, tramadol is much better than nothing.

This is a little off-topic, but I'd rather have 100mg of tramadol than 10mg of hydrocodone, anyday. This works for multiples, as well.
200mg tramadol > 20mg hydrocodone
400mg tramadol > 40mg hydrocodone

I just really hate hydrocodone... I put codeine and tramadol above hydrocodone, and I put hydrocodone over darvocet.

My vote has to go to tramadol too. No APAP is always a good thing ;) Plus it is very available due to the non scheduled thing.

A few friends and I have noticed that taking high doses of tramadol doesn't seem to increase the positive effects such as euphoria. I find an optimal dose of tramadol to be 150mg at once, then I will take a 75mg booster 2-3 hours later. Taking 200mg or more at once usually doesn't get me very high. I just feel more of the negative side effects such as body temperature issues and nausea.

Of course everyone reacts differently, but I've talked about this in other threads and a few people have agreed with me.

the prepster said:
This is a little off-topic, but I'd rather have 100mg of tramadol than 10mg of hydrocodone, anyday. This works for multiples, as well.

I just really hate hydrocodone... I put codeine and tramadol above hydrocodone, and I put hydrocodone over darvocet.
Well in my experience with you, this is because you are clinically insane.

the prepster said:

I completey agree with this actually.

Ivy_bitch said:
Hey all!!

Yeah...we all know they both pretty much suck

ok, maybe tramadol sucks for people who shoot up heroin, but in my experience i'd rather have tramadol than hydrocodone, or even morphine sulphate. tramadol gives a fucking A kick ass euphoria that lasts all day. i've done a shitload of tramadol so i know by god.

darvon can be a GREAT high if you have zero tolerance, but the duration is only about that of hydrocodone, maybe 3 hours. so Tramadol wins hands down. and its not shitty! :)

edit: and i thought propxyphene and darvon were the same. or darvocet. whatever. propoxyphene, the little red caplets, have made me feel like shit before... anxious and wired and sweaty. i just thought it was because they were old or something. they had been in my grandmas cabinet for years.

Definitely tramadol. Darvocet WILL NOT get me high. I have a tolerance of atleast 50mg of hydrocodone to get high. Last night I took 30mg of flexiral and 500mg of tramadol and like 4 beers and got a pretty damn good buzz.

tramadol I guess

But I've only had it once compared to like 15+ encounters with darvocets. That one time though surprised the hell out of me. I was expecting nothing, and yeah it lasts a good while.

why propoxyphene is rx only is beyond me

I've never tried any propoxyphene combination (by choice), but I have tried tramadol. As far as a bottom-shelf opiate goes, it's not bad, IMO. I also find it has an edge over codeine in many cases, specifically that tramadol has a distinct mood boost largely absent in codeine.

a question for all....my gf has been on Darvos for prob 2 years(prescribed) and now her doc is telling her to stop. Will she experience any withdrawls?? if so how does the body act or react?? if you can give me any other insight to this please help me out. thanks in advance!

EuPhOrIa89 said:
a question for all....my gf has been on Darvos for prob 2 years(prescribed) and now her doc is telling her to stop. Will she experience any withdrawls?? if so how does the body act or react?? if you can give me any other insight to this please help me out. thanks in advance!

Do you have more info than that? Does she take them everyday? How many does she take?

i much prefer tramadol because, as others have pointed out, it lasts for so long, and even when you develop a tolerance to it it still seems to put you in a good mood.
sometimes propoxyphene will just annoy me, but i can always get happy on tramadol.