Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Catalyst (ABC TV program) - Addiction Vaccines

cobaltdemon

Bluelighter
Anyone else watch catalyst tonight? I dont normally post new threads but this story seems like a big deal to me. A quote from the Catalyst web page:

"But imagine if there was a vaccine that would stop these drugs from having any pleasurable effect on the brain and body… no rush, no high and no reward to get addicted to.

Well, that medical dream is about to become a reality. Vaccines against many common addictive drugs are currently undergoing trials and look set to hit the market within five years."

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/s1890577.htm

The link has more of a blurb and a transcript, no video as yet but its repeated next tuesday 1:30pm on ABC.

The story focuses mainly on nicotine, but other drugs are definately included. At first I thought big deal, but it was touched upon that these "drug vaccines" could possibly be given to children, if their parents decide its a good idea.. 8o

(mods I have no idea what sort of format this sort of post should have so feel free to change)

An ex girlfriend worked with a drug which blocked opiates from having a pleasurable effect on the brain.

It meant that people could shoot up - but wouldn't get any effects.

The issue was that people had to take the drug in order to stay off other drugs. If they didn't - they'd be back to their favourite opiate pretty quickly - and with reduced tolerance they'd often O/D.

I guess a "vaccine" is a solution - if you believe you have a problem and want to control things which arguably you should let people make their own minds up about.

uk_pman said:
I guess a "vaccine" is a solution - if you believe you have a problem and want to control things which arguably you should let people make their own minds up about.

no argument there, i think its fantastic that there may soon be a way for people with an addiction who want to quit to actually do so for good.
but as you say, people need to make up their own minds and giving any such vaccine to a child or teenager who can't really give informed consent is a huge ethical issue. what gives parents, the government, anyone, the right to take away freedom of choice, even if its an illegal (at the moment) one?

cobaltdemon said:
no argument there, i think its fantastic that there may soon be a way for people with an addiction who want to quit to actually do so for good.
but as you say, people need to make up their own minds and giving any such vaccine to a child or teenager who can't really give informed consent is a huge ethical issue. what gives parents, the government, anyone, the right to take away freedom of choice, even if its an illegal (at the moment) one?

Yes, just to clarify, my problem with this is certainly not with the potential for addiction treatment but the social engineering possiblities it opens up.