Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Doctor's computers

Splatt

Ex-Bluelighter
Are doctors computers hooked up or do they share information?

Like how do they stop someone from going to one doctor and asking for benzos or something, when they've only just got them last week off another doctor.

Does anyone know for sure, is prescription history available australia wide on their computer?

Someone that works or has worked in a medical clinic, would really appreciate an answer, even if it is posted anonynously in Anon posts (with instructions in the post to merge with this thread)

I found this site that talks about doctor shoppers in the Northern Territory. It says that there is a register that is kept by the Pharmacy and Poisons Branch, who then compiles a quarterly report on suspected shoppers. I suspect that there is probably some kind of information sharing between doctors, I don't know how easy it would be for them to catch on to your game. ;)

When you move from doctor to doctor your history is available to them isn't it?

There must be some kind of prescription history available for Pharmacists for them to tackle people buying up heaps of sudafed and such. This would be a different system to the doctors and your medical history though.

I'm sure theres people amongst us that know for sure.

It'd be more of a case that its traced through your medicare card I'd assume?

I know that for certain scripts (xanax and others) authorisation is required. I too am very curious about the other ones which dont need an authority script. Im in WA and I know of people that use up to 5 different doctors to get various benzos etc. If there is some sort of monitoring system it doesn't seem to work very well.

With regard to the pseudo. I went to the chemist last year and all they did was record my details in a lever arch file and they told me they dont send it off anywhere its just there in case the police decide to investigate someone.

Theres all sorts of stories about it in this thread->

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=242318&highlight=doctor+shopping

Last edited:
No, Dr's computers are hooked up to their own LAN networks, but any notes are strictly confidential. With the new way off doing scripts these days the program will give the Dr. a read out at the end of the month and show up Any abnomalities from their scripts, ie giving out too many benzo or pain pills or cantraindications.

It can be tracked, but not very well by a pharmacist who can ring around and do a search on your medicare card number, so can the police in regards to cold and flu tablets.

this is the problem with the Australia card they want to introduce, How much info will it hold? medical files? prescribed drugs? bank details? Blood type? organ donor? police record?

The file your Dr has belong to his practice and he cannot legally share it with anyone (with a few exceptions, gardianship, abuse of a minor etc.) If all the computers where linked together there would be massive ethical problems, for instance who can have the data?

But the new system has made it harder to Dr shop and to steal a script off the desk and write your own.

We actually DO share information within the profession, and those of us who deal with the drugs and alcohol area are pretty good at tracking down the medical records of patients who have tried to score drugs from other practices. It never ceases to amaze me what some people will try to con medics- presumably it fools some of the doctors some of the time, but once you're labelled as a doctor shopper, nearly all the hospitals in your catchment area will be informed, particularly if you are trying to score drugs of dependence, and scheduled drugs.

Thanks for the info, I have always wondered.
I am actually a very bad insomniac but no doctor wants to prescribe for that one script for either temazepam or stilnox. I know it's bad to rely on them but I just want to take them every few nights when I need to. Unfortunately I need two or three times the amount for them to work.

I wondered if my doctors were somehow networked so they think I am trying to score drugs to get high.

DrPlatypus: I have heard of people who fake pain or actually cause pain to themselves to get morphine hits and what not. Which is sad because i thought the heroin detox program in this country was generally decent.

Splatt: just tell your Dr you problem and hope he understands. Ask too try something else even for a few days usally they have samples from reps, or go and see a shrink about the underlying cause for your insomnia. If you Dr writes you a referal you might be able to get in to see a bulk billing one depending where you live, I have been seeing one now for a couple off months and it hasn't really gotten anywhere (Too many problems, too short a time) but i'm trying:)

I also got some funny as stories about people in hospitals and nursing homes after peth, oxy and morph, but gotta go to work.

Oh there are definitely people trying to score themselves opiates, Splatt- all the time. But there are things that we can measure that reveal how much pain people are in- usually people who need medication get it. With regards to benzo's there is definitely a move away from prescribing benzo's for insomnia. Have you tried chamomile, or valerian? Both have biologically active mild sedatives.
Teddles, I tried to do a doctors survey on attitudes to drug use, but was blocked by both the local Medical Board and the AMA, on the grounds that it was too politically sensitive for the profession...

I have taken excess valerian (3x the recommended dose) with alcohol to help sleep. It kind of worked but took a while and the next morning I can't get out of bed. Valium 5-10mg works good enough though, Xanax makes me wake up. Stilnox works the best but you can't just keep getting them, even though I have a real anxiety disorder they would rather put me on Prozac.... which makes me panic and not be able top breathe properly and keeps me up. Dramamine seems to even keep me awake all night with static vision and a body load, but no help sleeping unless i take about 250mg, which I believe can be dangerous. If i sleep I only get R.E.M So I amk tired and unmotivated through out the day.

the TGA should allow repeats for temazepam and diazepam so doctors dont have to prescribe alprazolam

i mean FUCK ME, they allow FIVE repeats for dexamphetamines!~!~

ugh i hate stillnox Works a fucking wonder but shit do i Feel sick the next day or what