• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Loperamide (Immodium) Megathread: We have now lost at least 2 of our own from Lope

Status
Not open for further replies.
i had the same reaction as adder snorting loperamide. i did a CAE and snorted the resulting 'stuff' after evaporating away the alcohol. god damn it burned and it sucked and i'll never do it again.

Hi guys, I have not posted here in many months, but I still stop by here fairly often to read and enjoy. I want to make clear that what works for me may not work for you, and in fact what works for me could be dangerous to put into practice for you, so proceed with caution when trying new things or experimenting, alright?

A quick personal history: I have been using opioids/opiates in various forms for over 5 years, and consider myself an opie addict. My tolerance has varied over time, and my usual DOC is poppy tea, though lately I have been doing an average of 80-100mg of OC in addition to the poppy tea. For the last two months, I have also been dosing 3-4 days in a row, the taking a break for 3-4 days, then repeating. My tolerance is not as high as it once was, but it still takes about 120mg of Oxy for me to feel pretty good, or about 100mg of Methadone. I am far from opiate niave therefore.

Once again I found myself in a bind with WD's looming, and had no access to any opies or other drugs to help me feel better, except what I could find OTC. I have done my research on Immodium in the past, and have found every article and notation that the rest of you have found as well, as already documented in this thread, so I have no new information to offer except my subjective views on high dose Loperamide to combat opie WD. The reason I decided to try the doses I did was to finally put to rest, in my mind anyway, on weather Loperamide taken in larger then recommended theraputic doses could aid in helping to stop the terrible ickiness of opie WD. Once again, I suggest that NO ONE else try what I did, ESPECIALLY if you are opie naive, as serious complicatons could result. With that said, onto the trials.

I had to get my head around taking more then 16mg of Lopermide, which is the max any manf. of this stuff suggests you take in a 24 hour period, but once I read that article that stated voulenteers took 60mg in a manf. trial, I decided to take the plunge as well. I did not go that high though, as 48mg was all I was willing to take at once. I took 24(2)mg tablets, approx 24 hours after my last dose of poppy tea, so I was feelings some WD's at the time. I found it took about 2 hours to start to take good effect, and I know from research, that Loperamide takes about 5 hours to peak. I was not looking for a miracle, just something to take the edge off. I took nothing else with it except 2.5 grams of APAP in divided doses, about 6 hours before.

The first thing I noticed was a lessening of anxiety and lowering of my BP. My restless energy, especially in my legs, started to lessen as well. My vision seemed to darken a bit, and I felt a bit dizzy, and got fairly strong cottonmouth. Another hour passed by without any percieved increase in effects, and it was not until 30 more minutes had passed that I notice all of a sudden, I did not feel that crappy anymore. I auctually felt ok, I have just about no anxiety, my heart rate was normal, I felt a little bit stoned like I has just smoked a small bowl of weed, and I was hungry too. I was also very thirsty, which was good, as you need to make sure you drink a lot of water when taking high doses of this stuff, not that any of you would do that :\ I had to go to work that night, I work as a waiter (a horrible job to work when in WD's), and found I could easily enguage my customers with little effort, which normally would be next to impossible while in WD. I did feel pretty tired though, and a definite 'high' as the night wore on. I found I slurred my words when I spoke too fast, and concentration was sometimes difficult, just like on a good dose of any typical opie. The negative effects, like the dry mouth and dizzyness, were abated a bit with lots of water and some simple wholesome foods, such as fruit and vegatables. It was not so bad I could not work however. I even had to drink 2 cups of strong coffee to help stay awake, and normally I aviod all caffiene drinks during WD, as they make me feel even worse. It took me about 60 hours to produce a bowel movement, and I did get a bit of bloating, but only after about 48 hours. Oh, I was also able to sleep almost 4-5 hours each night, whereas normally, I would get zero or maybe 2-3 hours of very broken up sleep. Overall I felt much, much better then I should have, considering I had nothing else but Tylenol and Immodium in me. The tiredness and dizzyness did get to me however, and I did not wish to push the dose any higher. At times I felt pretty sedated.

I then tired it again, but with 32mgs and in liquid form. This worked much quicker, and within 60 minutes I was already feeling decent. Two hours later and I am able to crack jokes with my roommate, help clean the kitchen, cook lunch, and enjoy very little anxiety and an almost normal heatrate and BP, and a good appitite. I think this dose is about my sweet spot. I also tried 24mgs, once again in pill form, and it worked OK, but not as good as the liquid dose above. I was really amazed and impresed that an OTC med can help you feel SO much better during a tough time. Oh, I also had absolutely normal bowel movements on both the above doses, about 16-18 hours after I took the doses. I experienced no bloating or dizzyness on either 24 or 32mgs, I did have a slight dry mouth, easily remidied by drinking liquids, appatite was good, mood was good, and overall I felt worlds better then if I had taken just 4 or 5 pills, so 8-10mg, to stop the loose bowel movements. I also experienced quite a bit of calm, like I had taken some Valium with the 32mg liquid dose. The liquid sure worked quick too, and that is how I will do it from now on, as the pills take too long to get started. The lower doses also did not make me feel like I had taken a drug, whereas the 48mg dose for sure made me feel slow and very tired.

Well, that is about it. I know that Loperaimde does not cross the BBB, but in high doses, it most certainly has an effect, as these three trials were in no way placebo. I have read too many credibile reports now, so something is going on here without a doubt. With the liquid I really felt it coming on. I will note I never felt even a hint of euphoria, not even with the 48mg dose, but who cares when I found I can buy something off the shelf that is available everywhere, that helps so much with my WD's. OTC Methadone indeed. I don't know what would happen to an opie naive individual with large doses though, I really don't think it is a good idea to self-experiment here guys with this drug, find a better and safer one.

Please remember what I wrote is only my opinion, and is competely subjective, but Loperamide worked so well for me, I will always use it to assist in WD, it is too valueable a tool for me not too. I hope no one thinks I am trolling, as I may not be well-known here, but I do have a good rep at another site on the web dealing mainly with poppies in their raw form. I just wanted to get this info out, as Bluelight has answered many of my questions over the years, and if I can help one poor fool like myself that has taken opies too far and finds themselves in a bind, then sharing this info with you was worth it.

peace y'all

Last edited:
i use 20 mg of loperamide to fall asleep when i cant sleep because I had speed earlier. it really mellows me out like a xanax but without the "tired" feeling that xanax gives me..

responding to madhungarian:

i have had good success with lope also combating mild to moderate wd's. 3 days ago, i was feeling like total ass... restless leg, aches, anxiety, no appetite, SEVERE depression and lethargy. i finally got it through my head to try some lope again... i don't know why i waited so long this time. anyway, i took 6 2mg pills at about 6 am day before yesterday. i took 6 more an hour later. i did this all day, consuming about... almost a hundred mg of lope over a 12 hour period. thats a lot i know, but lope never consipates me at any dose... although it does stop the runs. weird huh? anyway, i did that again yesterday but only about 60 mg.

anyway, i felt pretty damn decent. the wd's were almost completely eradicated, although at one point i did feel as though my heart were racing very fast. this was after about 100mg of lope and i considered it an effect of the high dose. it wasn't entirely pleasant, but it wasn't debilitating.

as of now, i have taken no lope since yesterday morning and my wd's are pretty much completely over with.

loperamide is a lifesaver for mild to moderate withdrawals.

Not trying to knock you guys, I'm just sayin'...

don't you think that 40, 60, shit... 100!!! mgs of loperamide is pretty fucking UNNCESSARY? I've gone through some horrible w/d, several times, where 4 mg of loperamide (I think that's the smallest bottle of Immodium for sale here, which is ~$6.50) will last me 2 to 3 days! In fact, I took 2mg on Tuesday afternoon, on my 6th day of cold turkey'ing a 60mg minimum - 100mg maximum oxycodone habit every day for years just to make my stomache feel better and I haven't been able to go to the bathroom since. It's been almost 48 hours, and 2mgs! I couldn't fucking imagine drinking 10 bottles of the liquid. Isn't the point to take care of stomache pains and having to go to the bathroom every 10 minutes? What does 40-100mg of immodium REALLY do for you?

Loperamide almost completely takes away the mental and physical pains of W/D, it works for me and I have a very very high opioid tolerance (400-500mgs of oxycontin) so i get very bad withdrawals and loperamide is a godsend, I take about 50-60mgs every 16-18 hours and my anxiety, restless leg, chills, hot/cold sweats, etc. were almost all gone, also I could eat 2 full meals a day and sleep for about 6 hours. also loperamide makes me no more constipated than taking opioids, i can still shit 2-3 times a week and the loperamide only gives me very small stomach pains, nothing some tums cant fix. Also I agree with madhungarian about taking a few hours for the loperamide to kick in. Also just like he said drink a lot of water, loperamide makes you dehydrated very quick so drink a lot of juices and water and eat fruit and vegetables.

where did you get the liquid form madhungarian? ive only found immodium AD and the generic type both in pill form.

Is it concievable that just pulverizing and mixing w/ water and plugging say 20mg of loperamide hydrochloride would be an effective way to cure diarrhea and get a pleasant buzz in the process?!? I'm not really up for the chemistry and the alchohol extraction and the insufflation sounds sickening if not a real pain the the nostril.

dbailey11 said:
Alright, I'm setting myself up for a verbal beatdown, but here's the scoop on this. I made myself a test rat after staying up all night. And this makes me very vulnerable to my more moronic impulses. I went to the store and got a half gallon of grapefruit juice and a 30 pack o' Immodium. I chew up 12 tabs and wash it down with a healthy amount of grapefruit juice. About 15 minutes later I do feel some dizziness, but nothing opiate like. After an hour or so I do notice some mild buzziness with alot stomach cramping. That settles after a bit so I decide to chomp down on another 12 tabs, making a total 48mgs ingested. Then it all goes horribly wrong. The mild stomach issues quickly become major in a matter of ten minutes. I try to settle and see if it'll pass, but then it just builds to the point where it felt like my stomach might pop a gasket. The pain was getting to a near crisis mind state. So, time to puke. 4 times to be exact over twenty minutes. But the fucked up part about it is that I start to feel pronounced opiate effects after all the purging. And at 4 hours after initial ingestion I feel like I'm on 2 or 3 5mg vicodins. I feel quite good right now although the stomach is still gurgling and is slightly bloated. It was a big price to pay for a buzz, but it does work. Take it for what you want. I just reminded myself how retarded I am sometimes.

oh man

explanation for you being confused about people claiming a loperamide effect:

ever think to consider that is not the BBB is not the major factor, but rather the fact that Loperamide is not absorbable through the gut? science and pharmacology always contradicts its self with everything. but one thing is for certain and is a black and white known fact, loperamides first pass metabolism is almost 100%.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Loperamide+bioavailability

Loperamide — Bioavailability: Not significantly absorbed from the gut

According to http://www.answers.com/topic/loperamide

This is likely more certain than BBB status and may or may not be a bigger factor in loperamides lack of effects.

Last edited:
I am sorry if i haven't read all the threads, but I am going to to put in my info (hopefully not repeating somethings already said)
I have been using loperamide for about 2 years now as a means to avoid opiate withdrawal. Loperamide does not pass the blood brain barrier by lipid solubility, rather by osmosis (ie more loperamide, more in your brain), in addition, it is bound to protein at about 97% and is thought to be metabolized via the liver. the liver will create metabolites...and incredible amount of metabolites. And, loperamide is a piperidine (as is fentanyl), so it wouldn't be a surprise to Famous if the loperamide is metabolized into a small amount of a very potent piperidine opiate. But, from expirience, and as a bio chem major, the science is legit...loperamide can get you high. The real question is; what can you synthesize from it?

Wow, such animosity surrounding this issue! Granted, it's not supposed to be able to cross the BBB, but some peoples' BBB is more permeable than others and/or dysfunctional in some way, as is the case with some autistic people and sufferers of various neurological conditions. Plus, everyone's body chemistry reacts differently to drugs, even ones like Loperamide that are considered "mild", so to discount another person's experience is just pointless, if not stupid.

Whether it's placebo effect, which is just as good as the real thing and has even cured people of real illnesses, real effects, or a combination of the two, accept it as another person's experience and move on. If I have a headache, who are you to tell me it's not real? It's real to me, so arguing with me about it is like arguing with a fencepost. I'm sure if you took enough of almost any herb, drug, or supplement, you'd get some unforseen effects, whether it's just a dry mouth and a stomachache or a drunken stupor depends on the substance and the individual. Are a dry mouth and stomachache enjoyable, or are they simply side effects from taking too much? Again, that's subjective. The novelty of being able to induce uncommon effects like these by taking an irresponsible dose could be enough in and of itself to make a person brag, but then again it could be very real.

Let your anger go.

Not if you keep posting along with it, no :)

I'm on the fence still, haven't taken large amounts of Loperamide, but I'm still quite open to it being helpful with withdrawals.
I'll give it a shot some time and add a report of some kind.

Thread will not die!

Just for shits (no pun intended%)), I'm in mild w/d's and went ahead and took 20 mg's.....will report back shortly....not expecting much, but something to add to the belief/disbelief....we'll see.

Well, wanted to give everyone my update from yesterday. I actually did my math wrong on how much I took...it was 14mgs (have no idea how I came up w/ 20, don't ask!). Anyway, it definitely took away most of the w/d symptoms! I ended up taking another 8mgs about 4-5 hours later. I HAVE to add though, at around 9:30 or so last night my stomach was wrenching in pain:\....same w/ this morning....BUT, I would take a "tummy ache" over opiate w/d's any day....

you guys are playing with fire,its one thing to get the loperamide isolated and able to absorb ,and readily get in the brain,

but immodium is not this!!

man oh man ...whoever ate the 100mg of it is prob chompin on x-lax right now

hey this prolly sounds like a dumb ? but what is bbb? sorry if someone has already answered the ?

wnt let this die lol

hi im new here but have been looking at BL erowid and was a member of drugs forum for a very long time. i am by no means opiate naive and am planning an experimnet with loperamide tonight.I have done oxy,hydro, codine morphine buprenoprhine, diacetylmorpihne, tramadol and butrophanol so if i SHOULD be able to discrern placebo form opiate acitivity. i plan on taking 200mg qunine an hour before orally ingestign 16mg loperamide. the qunine is for p-glyco inhibiiton. if anyone sees a major flaw with this as far as it beign dangerous, please tell me. i will report my reslts tonight.

Does Loperamide potentiate opiates, with or without grapefruit juice?

Out of all the interesting conversations of this thread, I have not seen any info on this matter...

I asked JC about this via email, and got this reply:

I really don't know about the mechanism of Loperamide potentiation...
I "discovered" it by reading many reports of people saying that they could use less Codeine for the same effect by taking Loperamide with (reports on that on google groups: alt.drugs.*)

I experimented with it when I was using Codeine to help with Bupe withdrawal, but sincerely, I can't tell if the potentiated Codeine effects I felt were caused by Loperamide or one of the many other potentiators I used (Clonidine, muscle-relaxants, grapefruit juice.....)

On alt.drugs.* there is a guy saying that it's because Lopermamide occupies all the peripheral Opiate receptors (everywhere except the brain), thus making more Codeine available for the central receptors.
I mentioned that theory on Advanced Drug Discussion, and Fast&Bulbous replied that it was another mechanism, involving some pumps in the brain (I didn't really understand, having not much knowledge about the way the brain works...)

Hope this helped
++
J.C.

So maybe asking FnB about this might answer yer Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.