• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Loperamide (Immodium) Megathread: We have now lost at least 2 of our own from Lope

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, it just doesn't make much sense when people say they went 4 or more days without going. The few times I took 100mg or more of Loperamide, it was about 36 hours before I could shit, but by that time, it moved somewhat normally, maybe only slightly more restricted than normal, but close enough to normal that it was of no concern and created no problems.

I honestly have to doubt the validity of statements like "I took 200mg and I didn't shit for a week!" With the half-life of Loperamide and the duration of its effects, it just isn't possible for it to keep you constipated longer than...48 hours at the absolute most, unless you're taking massive doses, multiple times a day, multiple days in a row, but if that was the case, you're not shitting because you're continually redosing before your last dose had the chance to wear off.

The point I'm trying to make is if you take your dose of Loperamide, wait about 24 - 28 hours before redosing, you will shit pretty much as you normally did before dosing. However, if you keep redosing before the 24 - 28 hour mark, you are going to remain constipated and that is the only way you'd go 4 days or more without shitting.

^spot on. I have tried taking smaller doses throughout the day and after a few days I had a little restriction but still no pain going or anything.

Loperamide has a 10.8 hour half-life and 24 duration of therapeutic (constipating) effect. I don't doubt that massive doses could extend the effect, but as you said, no way past 48 hours.

Well I took it last Saturday afternoon, and didn't shit until Wednesday morning. It might also have to do with the fact that I have a horrible job where I work close to 12 hrs/day, and once I get home it's eat shower sleep, so if I don't feel like I have to go, I don't try...but yeah, after going on Wednesday, I dosed again, and didn't shit again until Saturday. Body chemistry and other factors play into it more than just the half life of a drug.

^ Of course body chemistry plays a role, but not so much that it would multiply the duration of the effects by 4 times. Body chemistry would just increase/decrease the duration by a few hours because of slow metabolization or slower absorption. I'm sure it's not taking 4 days for the dose to be fully absorbed and metabolized, so if you're not shitting for 4 days after dosing, you might have some GI problems you want to get checked out. The loperamide could be causing this problem you have to show itself when normally it's not bad enough for you to notice any real difference.

I know everyone is different, but in my personal experience of having taken loperamide for a cumulative total of 9 months (4 months last year; 5 months this year - both to get off Suboxone) I can say I've never gone longer than 48 hours without shitting. Take that for what it's worth, but that seems to be the common experience, and if you differ by almost 2 times as long, there could be an underlying issue that is making it worse.

I hear what you're saying, but maybe the difference between us is that I had a tiny opiate tolerance/habit (if you even want to call it that) when "getting on" Loperamide, so I had little to no opiate induced constipation/GI issues to begin with. I normally go every day. All in all, I didn't get anything positive from it, except maybe a mental boost, knowing I had a sort-of opiate in my system.

6/7 I'm getting down to a low dose on Suboxen. (1mg every 24 hours) I'm going to get that even lower and then switch to the loper. Was wondering if the constipation gets to bad can I take a laxative on top of this??

Loperamide never did anything for me. I took it in pill form up to 8 mg at once last week to stave off MS Contin withdrawals and all it did was plug me up for days, but then again, I have colitis.

Today is Day 18 of cold turkey after I quit pain management and morphine pills (MS Contin) and I am still getting chills, cold sweats, yawning, runny nose, sneezing fits all day long. WTF? At least the depression seems to be lifting.

Or is this bupe coming out of me from when I was on 2 mg in 2007 for 7 months?? Buprenorphine is a suckasstick diabolical molecule and a bitch to quit. All I know is that it fucked up my thermal regulation and doubled my tolerance.

But...your mileage may vary.

Loperamide never did anything for me. I took it in pill form up to 8 mg at once last week to stave off MS Contin withdrawals and all it did was plug me up for days, but then again, I have colitis.

Today is Day 18 of cold turkey after I quit pain management and morphine pills (MS Contin) and I am still getting chills, cold sweats, yawning, runny nose, sneezing fits all day long. WTF? At least the depression seems to be lifting.

Or is this bupe coming out of me from when I was on 2 mg in 2007 for 7 months?? Buprenorphine is a suckasstick diabolical molecule and a bitch to quit. All I know is that it fucked up my thermal regulation and doubled my tolerance.

But...your mileage may vary.

I would say with the half-life of a time release pill like MS Contin it probably begins to build up in your system and become as hard to get off of as Methadone.

Yeah, and if I took 120 mg of loperamide, I'm sure I'd croak of paralytic illeus or whatever the f.

If loperamide works for someone in kg quantities and you live to shit about, great.

I tried it, it didn't do squat, and regretted it for a couple days (even with the stated half-life).

My steady-state dose of MS Contin was 200-240 mg/day. When I jumped off, I've been tapering with a 17 day average of 111 mg/day. So, in theory, I should be done with the f'ing withdrawals 2 times over. YET....

The bitch is still kicking my ass. And why am I still constipated??? I got the runs the first 72-96 hrs, then got plugged up.

Are MS Contin+Bupe hiding somewhere in my f'ing body??? I am skinny average male. So, WTF??? Morphine withdrawal ain't supposed to take 2-3 weeks.

IS IT??

sounds like youve been on opiates for years so maybe the kick is taking forever, but i hope not cuz im about to be in the same boat as you if thats the case

Well, even though I was taking MS Contin 30 mg (ABG or whoever the purple ones), I was chewing and swallowing them, so they were in effect MS Instant Release. And I would always wake up in w/d the next morning. So, there is no way the half-life is 12 hrs or anything, it's the usual Morphine half-life of 4-6 hrs.

Besides, I did a naltrexone challenge about a week ago with ~1.2 mg naltrexone (because I had 4.5 mg low dose naltrexone capsules made a while ago, so I made a solution of 4.5 mg in 100 ml of H2O), and it did nothing to me (may be the next day it caused extra depression). Where as, while I was on MS Contin, 90 micrograms naltrexone would start me sweating and feeling uncomfortable in 40 minutes.

I don't think I have foreign opioid agonists on any of my receptors at this point. They are either in some other tissue or they damaged something a long time ago and left.

The continuous sneezing and sweating nearly 3 weeks out sounds so much like bupe withdrawal.

Also, I am on 2.5 mg prednisone/day. No, I am not in adrenal crisis.

Compared to Morphine withdrawal that I am going through now, oxycodone (perc's 50-80 mg/day for 6 months) and then hydrocodone (50-80 mg/day for 4 months) withdrawals were a walk in the park.

So, it's probably the length and amount of opioid that I have been on for the past 2.5 years that is affecting the present Morphine withdrawal.

Clonidine 0.075-0.1 mg helps some of the symptoms but only in late evening, not during the day. Besides, if I take 0.1 mg clonidine during the day, I have rubber legs and no energy to move since it drops my blood pressure (not too much, I measured it).

The chills, sneezing, runny nose, goose bumps start back up about 1-2 hrs after I wake up in the morning.

I take 1 mg ativan, 6.25 ambien CR for RLS, 0.075 mg clonidine to sleep. I think Ambien is messing with my mind, though - it knocks me out at first, then I wake up at 3 am feeling weird and tossing and turning.

I'm going to stop taking it and trying valerian root.

Life in the back of the Cold Turkey Freezer is getting old at 19 days after jumping off.

cheers

lOPERAMEDE is pretty inexpencive in my place. But Quercetin -- whicn suppossedely helps L. to pass BBB is over 50$. Yesterday, I found in drgstr hydroxyQuercetin. -- which is much cheaper, but would it work to cross BBB?
Anyone had experience with that?

Wikipedia speculates that prilosec might help, as it is also a proton-pump inhibitor. No idea if it works though.

Alright.. So I've littlary read this whole 4 year thread and then created an account so I could contribute... Wikipedia says this:

Concurrent administration of P-glycoprotein inhibitors such as quinidine and its other isomer quinine (although much higher doses must be used), PPIs like omeprazole (Prilosec OTC), venlafaxine (Effexor), and even black pepper (piperine as the active ingredient) could potentially allow loperamide to cross the blood-brain barrier..

Now ironicly I've been takeing Effexor for almost a year now and recetenlt started takeing prilosect.. Does this mean I'm a perfect canadaite to try this whole debate out?.. I use oxy when I can but it's difficult because I have an abnormaly high natural tollearance to opoids.. Like I have to take a minimum of about 50mg to feel a good high.. Even after not takeing it for a very long time.. And even then it dosent last long..

This is interesting. I just read JB69s post and I was wondering why Loperamide was so effective for me, even at "low" doses of 40-50mgs. I've taken effexor for three years. My suboxone ran out two days ago and my appt isn't until next week. So I took about 80mgs of Lope yesterday and literally felt fantastic. I know I wasn't in full fledged sub withdrawal, but I was in that "omg i'm out of pills" shaky, sweaty, emotional stage and it completely went away. I also drink grapefruit juice with it.

I should add that I know it's not placebo effect. my dosage of suboxone is a doctor recommended 28 mgs. And before that I had a pretty hardcore painkiller dependence, so I'm not opiate naive, nor do I have a low tolerance. I certainly am not flyin high or in an amazing euphoria, but I can sleep, function, work, and enjoy myself rather than go through w/d.

Last edited:
I was thinking about how loperamide potentiates opiates today and I thought of another theory of why loperamide helps with withdrawals. You guys think lope might be potentiating naturally produced opiates in your body? By lope binding to opioid receptors in the gut it allows more of your natural endorphins to go up to your brain and act on it instead of them binding to receptors in your gut. What do you guys think about my theory?

^ No.

Loperamide DOES cross the blood-brain barrier, but in small amounts. Everyone saying it doesn't cross AT ALL is wrong.

A friend described it in a way that illustrates how Loperamide works: it's like the US/Mexican border - not everyone is able to cross, but some still manage to sneak through.

Loperamide binds to opiate receptors in the brain, which is why it is active. However, only small amounts cross, but loperamide is active in small amounts, which is why it eases withdrawals.

Status
Not open for further replies.